RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: question on lee turret press

Boolit Buddy

question on lee turret press

I hope I can explain the problem with the lee 4 stage turret press.
    I just got it set up for 45 acp it took a while but I seem to run into a small problem
    I find when the empty case comes up to meet the die on the upstoke,it seems the case it off by a little,I find the reason is the turret has a little play on top and case pressure seem to off center the case and die .I tried to re-center the turret to get the die center on the empty case it doesnt happen all the time but does need a little hand movement to get the case started into the die.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the original turret and have had the same problem. The mounting holes in the turret head (turret holder) are slightly oversized. This makes it possible to make VERY SLIGHT adjustments in relation to the ram. I loosened two of the bolts and torqued the turret head in the direction I needed, then tightened everything back. This seemed to help the alignment. If all else fails call Lee. They have been helpful to me in the past.

My buddy bought the classic cast turret and it seems to have better alignment.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc2; 07-10-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    1. Make sure your press is absolutely level. I occasionally have problems as you described. All the wrenching on the handle "unlevels" the press once in a while.
    2. If the turret moves too far or not far enough, the Lee manual for the press describes how to "tweak" the indexing mechanism to affect a better alignment.
    3. I disremember where, but I think along the lines of someone slightly "dimpling" the turret, so it will ride in the turret holder more tightly and more square to the ram.
    4. Don't short stroke the ram. This will not complete the index.
    5. Don't slam the ram back into home position. This can throw the turret too far past the index.
    Just things I have found. Hope this helps.............................Lee

Hi, I found this information in the Lee page:

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...justment-1.wmv

Is a video for the Four hole turret index adjustment.

Hope it helps you

I've noticed this on my turret press. Check your shell holder to make sure the brass is securely seated. If you're using Lee shell holders they tend to have a loose fit with some types of brass.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Quote Originally Posted by USARO4 View Post
    I've noticed this on my turret press. Check your shell holder to make sure the brass is securely seated. If you're using Lee shell holders they tend to have a loose fit with some types of brass.
    I take care to be smooth with the lever and sometimes I put a dab of sticky lube on the shell holder. There is an easy solution if you are patient.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I try this to day seem it not a big issue for the price I paid for the set up was o.k.
    I bought the press and the 4 dies set-up for $84.00 bucks,I know it is not a RCBS ROCK CHUCKER but it will get the job done.
    I tried a little tinkering to day find I switch the shell holder great improvement and added some marine grease to the top turret plate.
    I have to say 1 out of 20 went o.k. all around,I find I can't get use to resizing the case and then the auto primer feeds the primer with out cleaning the primer pocket.
    I like to load 200 grain LSWC and 230 RN with unique powder can anyone peek in there books and give the loading data and the AOL .
    I do have loading books but they date back to the 70's
    Thanks so much

Lee should make shellholders that have the wire clip in them to hold the case in place.
    They make shellholders to hold many different calibers so they should make some kind of retainer to keep the case secure.

Cheap is cheap but at least make one that will work!

JR
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI

On the old turret presses there was a way to align the top with the ram. Try this site:

http://www.geocities.com/leereloading/

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I did work on it today seem the problem is corrected now.
    I added 2 shims in the rear of the turret base on each bolt now the brass just slides in the dies with out any finger help.
    I also added blue grease to the turret itself nice and tight the grease took up a lot of play.
    I have to say it not a RCBS press but it will get the job done a little faster then a single stage press.
    I was going to sell the rcbs press but will keep it for centerfire rifle my 06.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USARO4 View Post
    Yep A rcbs shell holder may work better.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Banned

I removed the self index rod because I only do two operations at a time. My problem is not side to side misalignment, it is fore and aft. A .357 case mouth is at least 1/16" too far foreward and I have to lean every one back to get it in the size die.
    I took extensive measurements and it is not the press so I looked at the shell holder which is an RCBS. Just holding the shell holder in my hand with a case in it shows the case leaning to the front. (Yes, it is clean.) In the press I can see the shell out of perpendicular with the uprights on the press.
    The shell rocks back and forth in the shell holder but tends to lean foreward.
    I don't know if a Lee shell holder would fix the problem, I don't have one.
    I put the die and shell holder in my RCBS press and the shell is only off a little and will enter the die.
    I think shims under the Lee base mounts to lean the press back a little will let the shell center. It must be leaning foreward.
    I will let you know.

Boolit Buddy
    The little spring clip that holds the shellholder locked in the ram can make the shellholder tilt a bit...

Banned

Putting a shell in the shell holder on my bench and setting a square next to it shows the case is vertical. In the press. the shell holder rocks. I cut about .015" from the bottom of the shell holder so it sits on the top of the ram and it is now in alignment. The problem now is that I have to push the shell holder down after every sizing because it is lifted when pulling a case from the size die.
    I re-bent the spring clip to put downward pressure on the holder but it is not enough. I need to figure a shim on the shell holder to keep it down tight.
    Another problem is the rim diameters on some cases. The shell holder groove is not cut deep enough and some cases don't go in as far. I have no way to deepen the groove. I might make a lap. Rotating a case shows the gap between the side of the case and holder changing.
    So between the shell holder slot on the Lee ram not being at a perfect right angle to the ram, not flat on the bottom of the slot and the shell holder groove itself not being deep enough for the rims, it is a pain in the neck.
    I will fix it! I hate aligning every case to get it in the die.

Maybe your bench is tilted (not level) and gravity is pulling the case forward?

I had the same issue and I just adjusted the bench with shims under the legs to give a slight rearward kant to the press ....now it works fine,

Good Luck!

JR
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI

Boolit Grand Master

ALL presses, including the most expensive ones, benefit from proper aligning the full length size die. Install the die and leave the lock ring loose. Run a case fullly into the die (just like you normally would) and while the case is still fully in the die, THEN tighten the lock ring.

There is a lot of play in the threads that this will remove. It will not solve gross misalignment, but will "fine tune" the alignment for better operation.

Actually, I align ALL of my dies this way including bullet seating dies. Good alignment makes for more accurate ammunition.

Dale53

Banned

Redbear, I tried that by loosening the bolts and tipping the press WAY back. I was still missing the hole by 1/16". The case would not lean back at all.
    Dale, I also set my dies that way but it didn't work on the Lee. Only the very top of the ram is flat and true. It is the inside of the shell holder slot that screws up the angle of the shell holder. Since the bottom of the shell holder sits on the bottom of the slot, the slot has to be perfect and it isn't on the Lee. Shell holders wobble back and forth.

Boolit Grand Master

44man;
    It may be that you need to make a call to Lee. You might need a new part. That shouldn't be, that's for sure.

I wish you luck! They have been good to me when i had a problem (seldom had a problem with the Lee stuff).

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Dale53

44 Man is on the right track , the problem IMHO is the shell holder. The groove in the inside of the shellholder that secures the rim of the cartridge is cut to loose specs. When you raise the ram the case wobbles a little, just enough occassionally to make it off center as it enters the die. As much as I defend Lee products, I have noticed that their shellholders are not as tight as other brands.

Boolit Buddy
    I have three Lee presses and all 3 are out of index about 1/4 of the detent ball if not more .I was thinking of milling the top holes slotted so i could get it in the right spot to align with the RAM . i just got done mounting a Redding T7 and will use that for a while