Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roto tillers

In Remembrance

Roto tillers

What do you guys use and why. I have a troy built horse, and it has been extremely good for several years, but there is probably some better ones these days.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    The newer tillers have stamped sheet metal tines.

If you have or can find an older model with decent tines, it is cheaper to repower.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen anything that looks as well built as my 25 year old Troybilt horse. The idea today seems to be to make stuff that has to be replaced "regularly".
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

In Remembrance
    My horse still does a fine job, but is due for a new set of tines, but it is also 4,000 miles away. lol

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would go to raised beds, square foot gardening, and forget the rototiller. Grow more in less space, with little need to turn the soil.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I use a craftsman with rear tines. My garden isn't huge, only about 2500 sqft or so but it gets the job done. I also have 4, 75' rows of raspberry and blackberry and I use it to till the sides of the rows to keep the weeds and suckers down.

Boolit Master

You guys are cheating. I have a shovel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    You guys are cheating. I have a shovel.
    Then I must REALLY be cheating! I've got a 5 foot tiller that goes on my farm tractor and an 8 horse Arens rear tine tiller. I'd hate to be without either one!

Boolit Master
    Couple years ago I found a 30 yo 7HP Horse. I had to do a repair to the pulley/shaft but it's reliable. It needs new tines but I'll probably just put some weld on them for now.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

I have An older "Merry Tiller" front tine model , that will run 1/2 tines, full tines, and wheels pulling cultivator blades.
    It wants to dig to China when it gets going...best 125.00 I ever spent for gardening.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

In Remembrance
    I spotted an old gravely a year or so back, but the place sold before I got in touch with the owner.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I have a David Bradley walking tractor that I am excited to be returning to work this spring. I have the plow,disc,cultivator, and tiller attachment. Its slow but it does it all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0663.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	58569
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master

I'm still using the 1964 International Cub Cadet my dad bought new, it has a tiller, single point plow, disc, 12 tooth harrow & 44" belly mower. Have to scrounge for parts some and make a few that aren't available any more but I keep it tickin' along every year.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post
    I have a David Bradley walking tractor that I am excited to be returning to work this spring. I have the plow,disc,cultivator, and tiller attachment. Its slow but it does it all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0663.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	58569
    I gave one just like that away, with all the equipment including a sickle mower away when I was downsizing to come to Ak. An old friend of mine had been wanting it for a while.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I gave one just like that away, with all the equipment including a sickle mower away when I was downsizing to come to Ak. An old friend of mine had been wanting it for a while.
    I just about gave mine away when I moved to AK. I'm glad I didn't now that I am moving back to the lower forty-eight. I have the sickle bar as well. The only two attachments I am still looking for is the air compressor and the blade mower. The one in the picture was my granddad's it's a 1947 Super Power model that had the Continental 3 hp. It has had several lifesaving transplants over the years. It currently is powered by a NOS 3.5 hp B&S.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

My old Troy Pony is all I ever need and I just walk along side it while it digs away with no vibration at all. I can set the depth from shallow to full deep in three passes whenever I prepare my garden plot and I am finished. Used to be TroyBuilt had a wonderful guarantee and after-market service but that is no longer the case. Thankfully the older ones keep on truckin' and parts are still available for most repairs. I stand by it (literally!)

Moderator Emeritus

I have an older Ahrens I bought for $250. It still does a great job.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have an old Kubota that was given to my not working... I first replaced the starter rope, cleaned out the carb, and then had to pull the head off because the valves were glued open... once I got that done, I had to take the tank to the local small engine shop to have it dipped and epoxy coated inside. Now it runs like a champ, with 2 forward speeds and a reverse, with changeable belt ratios to boot!

BUT... It was designed to use no wheels! I've seen broncs at the rodeo that didn't kick as high!

Hey, did I mention it was free?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

I have a Troybuilt Super Bronco that I've been using the past few years. It's a lot easier on my bad back and it does a great job of busting sod when turning up a new patch of ground.

Boolit Master

My mother wore out a Troy Built over 25 years. The gear box finally crapped out after being used on a weekly basis for 25 odd years. That was a great machine, needed little maintenance and my tiny mother could pull start it until the last days. She got a new Horse and loves it, since she was 55 when she got it, she opted for the electric start model. She doesn't like it as much as the original, cast and stamped parts instead of forged and such, but she admits it will probably outlast her.
    The engine on the old one was still good. I cut the mounts off it and put it onto a portable welder generator for my Dad. I don't think he ever bought the coupling to fully join the two, but it is probably still waiting in his shed for it to happen. I suppose I'll be the one to complete it, after I clean out his estate (20-30 years from now), and I bet that old Kohler will FIRE RIGHT UP when I do.
    There's something to be said for quality.

Bulldogger

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast