Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Will this pot do?

Boolit Mold

Will this pot do?

Hi guys. Sorry to ask what is probably a frequently asked question here, but with the wealth of experienced people here, this is my best bet. I did search a bunch and read a few threads that were somewhat relevant, but I'm hoping to find someone who has tried this type of pot first-hand with success.

Quick background, I live on the west coast of Canada on an island and in my area, cast iron pots are all but impossible to find. I have spent the last month or so scanning listings in the classifieds and checking all of the second hand stores and such and so far I have only found skillets and steel pots. I'm willing to use a steel pot, but the issue of weaker handles is what has me still trying to come up with something usable with cast iron handles.

I found the following pot available from a local store:

http://www.londondrugs.com/London%20...&q=cast%20iron

The $30 price tag is actually very low for my area. Most stores with cast iron dutch ovens are $80 and up here. In any case, price is not an issue for this amount. I am just concerned about the coating of the pot. I have read that "If the coating comes off the pan, it should just flux away like any other garbage", but I have so far only been able to find theoretical discussion about this kind of pot. Any of you guys tried something like this and can comment on how it stood up over numerous smelts?

Thanks!

That should be OK is it Enamel lined?? I use a Stainless Steel pot and turkey fryer burner. Also look in second hand stores and Flea markets I got a lot of my casting gear from there!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    That should be OK is it Enamel lined?? I use a Stainless Steel pot and turkey fryer burner. Also look in second hand stores and Flea markets I got a lot of my casting gear from there!
    I assume the coating is an enamel but I haven't seen it yet first hand. Trust me, I have scoured every second hand store and flea market in the area. The only thing I haven't exhausted is garage sales, but since this is January, there are none happening. I've also had my own WTB ads in the classifieds for a few weeks without success. I have a steel pot now that will do an OK job, but again the lack of a handle I'd be willing to use is dissuading me from wanting to use that pot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebs View Post
    I assume the coating is an enamel but I haven't seen it yet first hand. Trust me, I have scoured every second hand store and flea market in the area. The only thing I haven't exhausted is garage sales, but since this is January, there are none happening. I've also had my own WTB ads in the classifieds for a few weeks without success. I have a steel pot now that will do an OK job, but again the lack of a handle I'd be willing to use is dissuading me from wanting to use that pot.
    drill and bolt/lock washer/nut in some handles?

Banned

negative on the handles.
    you'll try picking it up.
    100 lbs of sloshing lead [you can't see it moving under the surface quite often] nope.
    melt it and ladle it out.
    leave an inch or so in the bottom and start your next melt.

Boolit Master

Attachment 58066Attachment 58067
    or you can get one from D Crockett a member here
    made out of a propane tank i think he still makes them
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I'm using smaller pots with similar coating to the one linked, they work fine. Haven't had a single problem (so far) with the coating, other than that what was white turns a dirty gray after fluxing with old oak leaves (sawdust would have the same effect). The ones I have are 1 qt and 2 qt capacity; the smaller will hold ten pounds of lead for a short casting session, the larger will smelt up to 12-13 lbs of wheel weights without feeling I'm overburdening my little Coleman gasoline stove.

Boolit Master

I to use an old propane tank cut in half , and no handles , large ladles and dip it out , leave a little for the next melt , big enough for large melts and tough enough , had the old tanks , so no cost , only time to soak and cut , 1 tank for pure , 1 tank for wheel weight

Boolit Master

Flintfire, can you post a picture of your pot or pots??
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, I've seen lots of propane tank solutions, but I don't have the means to do that kind of thing. Getting it done would be more work and possibly as much cash as buying a pot. I'm probably going to give the linked coated pot a try and see how it goes and follow up after short and longer term use. Then there's more information for posterity if nothing else.

Boolit Master

Am stuck at work for another 3 days , when home will post picture, as for cost , opened valve for a few days , then unscrewed , filled with water , came by a few days later cut with angle grinder and metal cutting wheel , around the seam , about halfway .

Boolit Buddy
    made my melting pot from an old 10 pound dry chemical fire extinguisher bottle, made a frame and laid it on it's side, plugged the threaded hole, cut open the side, used sheet metal to hold the heat/flames in. melts 100 pounds at a time. starting out cold and with a little heat from topside with a handheld propane torch, takes about 12-15 minutes until i can flux/skim. the burner was given to me, don't remember where it came from.

I picked up a used Stainless Steel pressure cooker for $0.50.
    Coffee can is for scale.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I picked up a used Stainless Steel pressure cooker for $0.50.
    Coffee can is for scale.

Lead has been melted in nicer stuff, but it would be sad to ruin the pressure cooker. Try cooking a pot roast in it once and you will see what I mean.

Boolit Mold
    OP here with an update. I bought the linked enamel cast iron dutch oven and have done a couple of smelts in it now and it's done the job just fine. No problems with enamel flaking off in the mix or anything yet and the handles are nice and solid for pouring the last few pounds that I can't ladle up.

jrebs - upi got as hack saw? Then you can cut the tank.

Draw your line where you want the cut, lay the tank on its side and start cutting. When the hack saw is as deep as it can go - rotate the tank and continue sawing. Will take longer than a high speed cutoff wheel - but it will get the job done.
    Last edited by MGySgt; 01-16-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Pictures of propane tanks cut to use for smelters

Attachment 58791Attachment 58792

Boolit Master

Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    I take it there are no Harbor Tool & Freight stores up there?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...ven-44705.html

Might what to see how much shipped to you.

Boolit Master

In the Great White North, the equivalent of Harbor Freight is Canadian Tire or Bumble Bee, as I recall.

Meanwhile, these might be a better deal -- four pieces, and no tendency to crack like cast iron can (and probably cheaper to ship, since the four will weigh less than a single cast iron dutch oven).