Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Cast in a ported barrel - Marlin 336-D .35 rem

Boolit Bub

Cast in a ported barrel - Marlin 336-D .35 rem

Anyone have experience with shooting cast in a ported barrel? Here's the story. I used to shoot IHMSA using a cast 200 gr .35 Remington bullet loaded in a .357 case for use in a T/C contender. Got out of silhouettes in mid/late 1980's but had many 3# coffee cans of of those 200 grainers cast, weighted, and sorted. They've sat for 25 years, I'd glance at them every once in a while thinking I need to melt these down or buy a gun to shoot them in.

Just found a Marlin 336 D with an 18" (guessing at the length) ported barrel at a decent price and am wondering.... Will it work with a gas checked bullet or will there be problems with the porting. Never owned a ported firearm before so this is a new one to me. Any help is appreciated.

Shot many a cast bullet, GC and PB in my ported 1895. Accuracy was superb and never had a hint of trouble with the ports and cast bullets. The 336D is a neat little gun, it is the medium sized guide gun as they also made some matching 1894s in 44mag with 18" ported barrels.

Boolit Bub
    Great, that's what I wanted to hear. The 336D reminded me of the guide gun. Thanks for the help!

Boolit Buddy

I'm just beginning to set up for cast in my 12" contender, 375JDJ. Veral Smith (LBT) and Larry Jones (SSK) both highly recommend GC's with high velocity loads in ported barrels. They both say it's a matter of lead building up in the ports over time.
    From my conversations with both of them, my opinion would be, that if you're shooting hot loads, with PB slugs, keep a wary eye on those ports, until you prove to yourself that all is good.

In my 375, Veral made me a gascheck mold, that drops at 278grs, water quenched ww's, 25bhn, and my goal is to run it somewhere around 1900-2100fps, depending on accuracy. That's just where I wanted to go with that gun, and the gaschecks were highly recommended.

If you're not looking to run that hard and fast, the pb's may work just fine. I'm casting and loading now, for springtime, so just paying attention to what those who should know, have said.

Just looked back at your op, and you're going with gc'd bullets. I'd say Have at it!.
    Last edited by rush1886; 01-08-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Buddy
    A friend had a Magnaported 4" Model 29 that he left with me while overseas. We joked that it had a "built-in sight blackener" with cast bullet loads. No problems other than a few extra holes to clean up.

Boolit Buddy
    never had any issues with ported barrels expect for very minor leading with PB slugs in my .45-70 guide gun until jacket slugs and firelapping removed the tiny burrs from factory. What have noticed though is that regardless of hardness, chamber pressure levels, velocity or powder selection- true muzzle brakes with expansion chamber acumulate huge amounts of lead and powder residue that can be hard to remove

Boolit Master
    I've shot cast in the 336D , the 1895G , the 444P , the 1894P and the 1894CP . All did nicely with gas checked bullets .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

No problem in GG .45-70 with GC, but ports in .44 Mag revolver direct gases onto the side
    of the tall front sight base, lead deposits build up, scrape off with oak scraper with no damage.
    .44 Mag uses plain base designs, but that may mean nothing. Nothing near the GG ports
    for the lead to deposit on. No buildup in ports themselves, no problems with accy.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I've shot cast in the 336D , the 1895G , the 444P , the 1894P and the 1894CP . All did nicely with gas checked bullets .
    Wouldn't it have been easier to say which ported Marlins you HAVEN'T shot with cast boolits. Sounds like the voice of experience!

I too have had no problems shooting cast in my 1894P
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by chg View Post
    Great, that's what I wanted to hear. The 336D reminded me of the guide gun. Thanks for the help!
    my shorty .444 has had bunch's of cast greesers and a share of paperpatch boolits as well as playin with blackpowder and not a problem that a non-ported barrel experiences...just a bit mo cleaning about the muzzle end is all.

Boolit Bub
    Loaded and shot 10 .35-200FN that have been lubed since 1986 according to my notes inside the box. Were sized .358" I have not slugged this Marlin barrel yet but the 336D shot these very well at 50 yards. Two touching and 3rd just a bullet hole away. Nice round groups. Lever was a little snug on closing so trimmbed brass to 1.900" and solved that problem. Still one handed for next several weeks and for some reason people are unwilling to hold a brass rod while I swing a hammer so slugging will have to wait. Am glad I bought this rifle even with the porting. No problems with leading or gunk on front sight even. Nice short, light rifle that carries great. Thanks for the encouragement, was reluctant about the porting but that proved to be no problem as you guys said. Now that I can't well I wear hearing protection when shooting except for snap shots on game so the ports don't hinder there either.

Boolit Bub
    Glad to read this thread as I am going to cast for the Gov. G and the Triple P Marlins.