Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I lost my best buddy

Boolit Master

I lost my best buddy

For a few days I could not even talk about it with out crying. I had to have my faithful Cocker Spaniel of 11 plus years put down on Christmas day of all days. I am sure he had cancer he was getting skinnier and skinnier in the past month or so and he started to pass a lot of bright red blood. On Christmas Morning he really passed a lot and would not eat it was so sad. I was crushed with a huge hole in my heart. He was there for me when my mother died from old age 9 years ago this Feb and I used him as a crutch for consolation for my grief. He was also there for me when my brother died a couple of years ago from Cancer and again he was something i could hold on to and grieve. Well when I had to end his suffering there was no good friend to help with the pain like he did. Every one said get an other dog. No way I could never go through this again. I have had other dogs and it is always rough but this time it really tore me up.Christmas night it was so quiet since I live along I could not stand it I went out the next day and bought a parakeet. Just something for some noise and to talk to. He will never take the place of my dog but he might help with the loneliness.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    jh45gun, 6 years ago I went through what you are going through. I'm starting to get choked up now just writing this. The house was not complete without a dog. You can't and shouldn't attempt to replace your Spaniel, but get another dog. The joys they bring always outweigh the sorrow they leave behind.

My deepest condolences,

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I lost my best buddy

So sorry for your loss, I had to put down my 8 year old German Shepard about 3 weeks ago. It Was like losing a child. We went to the shelter the next day and adopted a Catahoula mix that was transferred here from a kill shelter in Louisiana. It was the best thing for us to do. Not that we were trying to replace Xenie, but being able to love another dog helped us grieve.

So sad. My little female cocker is 14 and really starting to slow down. I am so sorry for you loss of a great friend.
    High Hook

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    You can never replace a loved one nor should you even try.

Another dog preferably a shelter dog will EARN a place in your heart before you even realize it.

The most affectionate,tolerant of child misbehavior and protective dogs I have ever met all came from a shelter.

You lost a loved one, the shelter dog lost a home and family and will say thank you for giving them a new chance as long as they live.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

My condolences. I'm facing the same thing very shortly. Just trying to make her comfortable in her final days.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    My condolences for your loss. Our previous dog passed two years ago. She was a stray with three legs who, contrary to the vet's opinion of a short life span, lived confortably for seventeen years. We just acquired another pup which we found abandoned out in the desert. My wife felt guilty over loving Rita as much as she loved our other dog. But I assured her that Ol' Scruff would have approved.

Boolit Master
    I know how you feel jh45gun. I've lost two since 2008. The last to go was Lola, who passed on my birthday in 2011. Losing one on what is supposed to be a good day is doubly sad. I have yet to get another.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I am so sorry. It is awful to lose a pet. give it some time, you will know the right time for another one. I said I would never get another dog. three months later, I got Patrick, (who is now 10) and now we have 4 dogs! the parakeet will also be good company- you can teach them to talk - very smart birds!
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

Boolit Master

There's no words that I can say, except, I'm sorry for your loss. Been through it a few times. Its like losing anyone else of your family. I'd go get another companion, another dog. People passing from our lives is a natural consequence of living. May be because of a death, transfer, or whatever. Get another companion and add to the value of your life, the lost companion's and the new companion's. Their companionship and the love you can give them are worth the pain of sorrow. Don't feel bad and let it drag you down. Rejoice in the time and love you had with them. I lost my brother after a short 28 years (me). He was 34. I miss him, but rejoice in my memories of our time together. Not like we didn't fight like cats and dogs until I was about 18.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Our prayers are with you. It's been a year of loss around here as well. We are wishing you comfort and peace. May God fill your every need.
    Last edited by square butte; 01-14-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned

my prayers are with you.

Boolit Master
    I know exactly how you feel. My Dad died in 2010 and my mother in law last spring. Our Pyrenees was sort of a therapy dog for us in dealing with their loss. When she died unexpectedly just before Christmas it was like reliving both of their deaths all over again and at the same time. You certainly have my sympathy.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.