Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys, I'm a newbe to this site. Been casting about 12 years and now very glad to know that there others with this illnes, But glue boolits? I've shot a lot of paraffin boolits in 38 using a mag primer. How is a glue boolit better? Steve in TN

Steve- I think its because they are reusable, and they are the actual bullet profile. . .but I haven't tried this yet. Looks fun as all get out though!

Boolit Mold

Gluelits

Ok, I read the whole thread yesterday and just had to try it.
    40 s&w was the only empty case I had.
    I put some hi-temp hot glue in it, even held the case with the hot glue in it upside down while cooling to get a rounded point on it.
    Primed it, and put it in my Sig P229. Fired it at 2 cardboard boxes one inside the other.

I'm Hooked!!!
    It shot right through 2 layers of cardboard and lodged in the 3rd.
    I recovered the gluelit and did it again. Wow that was fun!!
    I did get a few questions from the wife as to why I was shooting in the dining room.

I need a mold to make more. I need them to be a little tighter fit in the case.
    I don't have a lead casting mold yet (on my list of things to get)
    Has anyone made a gluelit mold out of plaster or something?
    I think that is what I'm going to have to try next.

~Tango
    Last edited by tangofiftyone; 12-19-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Gluelit Primers

FrangibleBullets.Com can supply non-toxic primers in SP, LP, LR, SR. No shotgun primers available in non-toxic. They are expensive, $3.10 per hundred $31.00 per thousand plus UPS ground. Email and I'll get back to you. Rodney@FrangibleBullets.Com
    Captain
    "Like cool water to a thirsty soul is good news from a distant land." Prov. 25:25

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in TN View Post
    How is a glue boolit better? Steve in TN
    Steve,

I use gluelits for "draw and fire" or "acquire and fire" exercises with a SA revolver in my garage. For example, I attempt to draw and score a chest hit on a life size target from across the garage (7 yards) in less than a second. It is marginally safer than live ammo ( although I'm sure it will hurt like hell if I ever hit myself with one) and I can re-use the projectiles that are caught in my gluelit trap.

It's not unlike the use of wax bullets by cowboy action shooters except that in the case of wax bullets the projectiles can not be reused.

The fact that I can simply grab a box and head to the garage on a whim, rather than head to the range where I am sure to run afoul of some safety nanny, keeps things fun and easy.

Kev

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this post I was intrigued. I had shot .38 cal plastic "brass" and bullets 30 years ago in my basement range................but "gluebits" that sounded like fun.
    SO, I "cast" up a six-pack and tried them in my SA .45 Colt clone. What Fun.
    The magnum primers with the factory flash hole were actually too powerful for my needs, so I switched to the Rem std LP primer. I still penetrated 4 layers of dense corregated board. I used a .45 cal maxi mould I had laying around the shop that I got in trade and never used. Gluebits dropped from the mould at .453 and weigh 20gr exactly.
    I will add that the cylinder/barrel gap on this revolver is VERY tight, so minimal if any pressure is lost at the gap. Probably why I can use a std primer.
    This is going to be fun. I might even turn my "73s into gallery guns for basement and rat shooting.

Thanks for the thread.
    So many toys........so little time.

I Have Used Hot Melt Glue For Years To Clean My Molds. I Fill The Mold With Glue To About 3/8 From Top, Insert Hex Drive Torx Bit. Then Fill Completely, Hold Hex Bit Straight To Let It Set Up, Open The Mold Cut Slits Lengthwise Apply 1000 Grit Polishing Not Grinding Compound, Put Back In The Mold Close Tight. Put Cordless Screw Driver To Hex End. With The Torx Bit Embedded In The Glue, I Turn It For Just A Few Seconds About 10 Revs Open Degrease To Very Very Shiny And Super Clean Moulds. Make A Second Glue Bullet, Coat Lightly With Moly Powder Do The Same, Then Turn Inside The Mold, Bullets Fall Out Super.
    I Have Used Same Technique With Grinding Compound To Enlarge Mould That I Wanted To Open Just A Tad. Be Careful, Goes Quick.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Hmmm, I gotta try this. I have shot waxlets and rublets but never a gloolit. I have some rubber seals ( caps? ) (.360) that look as though they could be the seal from a hypodermic ram. Much more solid but too flimsy to shoot well. Mebbe fill them with hot glue? The kid and I used to shoot her NEF .223 with a primer driven lead .22 pellet. Drilled flash hole and standard primers, shot very well at 30 feet and would penetrate a small magazine. The hammer falling made more noise than the muzzle blast. I tried a grain of bullseye and it did not fire the powder. I assumed lack of resistance was the cause of that failure. With a very light gluelet I bet one would have the same problem. I do have some blank powder now.................
    One other thought " and I think it was mentioned" is to use a filler with the glue to give it some body (mass?) J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

I have been keeping up with this thread for a while now and just had to give it a try this morning I had an old lee 160 gr TL mold in 31 cal. and cast up some gluits and came out perfectly they weighted in at a svelt 12.5 grs! I had the 03A3 standing there so that was my test bed. drilled out a primer hole to 7/32 and lubed with balistol oil . primer was a CCI regular LR pushed the gluit into the neck . Now the moment of truth!!!!!!!! Puffffff! my little gluit never made it half way down the tube! so I added .5 gr of red dot and it worked well and still very quiet. But that kinda defeats the purpose of this whole thing . Whats size must I drill out the primer hole to accept a shot shell primer?
    Next step is to cut the base of the bullet shorter and to trim the nose off some to make it shorter and less weight in hopes it will atleast exit the barrel. Any other ideas from the Gluit wizards.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I think pushing a Glulit down such a long barrel is asking a lot from a primer. I use them in my .357 revolvers lubed with a touch of Pam and they go right along. Sure keeps the cats in the barn and not around the house. Also that oil may be a bit heavy give the Pam a try, you don't need too much I use it as mould release too.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

hell of a thread, fine/fun reading

Without looking thru the full thread, to keep from repeats. IF so, I apologize.

In the late 50's a bunch of us kids loaded 12ga with a blk pwdr looking white powder. Don't know where the idea came from but, we cut the ends off paper hulls, filled with melted parafin and dropped one or two glass marbles in it. They'd blow big holes thru tie fence posts. make a splash way out in the lake and kick up the ducks a a few hundred yards to make them flyover so we could get some shooting. Wonder what the Feds would say about that now days??

When blowing up water filled milk jugs one time I found either a golf ball, or tennis ball and set it on top instead of a lid. Wasn't any ball, nore parts around after shooting and looking for them. standing there a bit wondering why not. a heavy thump fairly close sounded. It was the ball coming back down from way the hell up there. That was before they were dyed green and other colors. Bet it would be fun to see if they'd go out of site with bright colors available now.

Last week I was in need of fireforming a bit over 300 5.7 case's necked down to .17's. Didn't have any bullseye, so used 3gr of the fine ball powder the 5.7's are loaded with as powder. Filled to the max with corn meal, then topped off to seal with soft parraffin pressed in hard packed after learning how hard and tedious it is to stuff the tiny holes with TP. Wax don't take near as long.

After shooting some 15' across the shop at the brick wall a mess was forming. Decided I didn't need that. So set up some cardboard at 10ft and shot thru it and still cleaned the loose stuff off the dirt floor and making it dusty.
    Ended up laying a piece of steel plate on the floor and richocheting it against the cardboard to catch the splatters. After about 250 were fired that way there was a 3" high foot long etching nearly thru the cardboard. Proof it's still got more than enough power to raise a welt, or cut skin if a person was unlucky enough to get hit with it. Wasn't anything I could tell flying off in the air with a free flying shot across the shop though. So doubt they'd be much good at stinging stray cats. Have all the brass formed now, so am done with it.
    Quantity of wax wasn't much either, maybe the size of a .22 LR bullet.

IT did do a decent job of fireforming those tiny case's, as was intended.

Great thread, have enjoyed reading the last three pages again tonight.
    I've got some of those plastic/rubber .38's, just over a box full. Tried them inside an old building with white walls. They will leave a black mark. Great point and shoot pistol practice with the wheelguns though. IF the rooms enclosed it makes it easier to find the rubber bullets. I don't have a glue gun, might check into getting one someday IF there's ever any left over cash.

Merry Christmas to all of you this fine quiet Christmas Eve.

George
    Last edited by georgeld; 12-25-2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Bub
    ok before i go out making glue bullets. how loud are these things to shoot especially indoors

Boolit Buddy
    As I mentioned before, I switched to a LR from a Mag LR due to un-necessary penetration and noise. The reg primer is like a kid's large "cap pistol" going off. Not even loud enough to make the dog run and hide. I found that wearing ear protection wasn't needed.
    So many toys........so little time.

Chronoed glublets

After reading this I had to try it...Took my RCBS 400gr 475 mould and gave it a generous coating of Frankford drop-out and filled the cav with hot glu with the spure plate open by pushing the glue stic and not using the trigger....when it cooled I found that it had glued my mould together.....pried it open and pried the now grey boolit out.Was now a little afraid to try it again but figure oh well. I filled the cav again without preping the mould with anything and this boolit just fell out almost clear.made 5 total,I cut them all off at the front of the last lube groove.

Bored out the flash holes to 1/8 on 5 cases and loaded them with Fed 215's, lubed the glublets with gun oil and loaded them in the FA 475 with 6inch barrel...Wow they had a lot of power and were very accurate (1 cal, sized hole for 5 shots 8in.low) at 7yrds, but the primers backed out and tied up the gun. Tried it again with 300LP primers and that was a lot better and the primers stayed put.

Chrono of the 2 loads went like this:Fed 215's=431,405,434,444,431fps.....CCI300's=204,196, 141,226,237fps

The 215's will shoot through a lot of cardboard and kithen cabinets(missed the wadded sheet that was in the box with 1).......needless to say SWMBO forbid any futher indoor testing......

Cleaned up the mould with acsetone(mostly to get all the Drop-Out from the vent lines) smoked the mould with a lighter and it cast WW just as good as it ever did. No need to get a special mould just to try this.
    and its great fun.

Thanks guys for starting this thread.

Freedom475
    Last edited by freedom475; 01-05-2008 at 03:44 AM.

Banned

hmm, glue boolits, them hard plastic then plaster, heck maybe someone will get a wild streak in em and try lead! wouldn't that be a hoot! a lead bullet, who whoulda thunk! lol

Long time reader, first time poster.

Gloolits, what a novel idea, I checked the hot glue sticks at work they measure .452" in diameter. Perfect for my 45, just cut to length. As for other uses for gloo in shootin, I have been filling tennis balls with glue to shoot out of my WW1 Enfield with the cup grenade launcher. I use about 3 grains of Unique, the ball will go about 150 yards, my first attempt, I lost the tennis ball at around 450 yards, too much powder! If I do not fill the balls with glue, there is a flame hole cut in the tennis ball for the first shot. What fun at the range with bowling pins at 100 yards!

Boolit Bub
    A post I made on another site I visit:

[IMG]i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/Friiguy/untitled.jpg[/IMG]

I recently read a thread on castboolits about glue boolits as they call them, and figured I would give it a shot.
    So i get out the hot glue gun and my recently acquired bullet molds and set to work.

First I cleaned out all the residue and grease from the previous owners casting experiments.
    Then I Started pushing as much hot glue into the mold. I found that if you let the newly formed gluelit cool too long it would stick to the mold something fierce and if not cooled enough, the center of the gluelit would become hollow.
    After making a few of these, I stuck one into a freshly primed case and loaded her up into my 1911.

Accuracy was amazing at 15'. It shot to POA and though I didnt shoot for groups, it probably will get around an 1.5" or 2" no problem. The glue boolit also went through the IDPA cardboard target and onward for some ways. I fired 2 rounds (it was dark) and was able to recover one (the darker looking one in the picture) and I plan to shoot it again and again. No Glue residue in the chamber or barrel.

Cost of this experiment?
    10 primers and about .25 in glue.

[BD]

Boolit Master

This sounds interesting, I do not lack space for shooting because of my farm, but my brother lives in the suburbs and can only shoot at the range or in his basement.

I would like to see or hear more about this method from any one out there.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

I used to shoot parafin bullets, just using a primer and pushing the sized case over a piece of parafin. shot O.K. out to about to 10-12 feet. How are hot glue bullets in your bore?

Boolit Mold
    Just goofy enough to peak my interest. I have a glue gun. I have moulds. I have cases and primers. I even have a pistol! Dang, have to go buy a cardboard box. Maybe U-Haul?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast