Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

My son and I tried this idea out in the garage... sweet.

My son shot the group labeled T.man from across the garage (six paces). The other two were where I was playin "hopalong cassidy".

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...gloopsmall.jpg

kev please tell us what setup you used. i mean crimp no crimp lube no lube so on and so forth. inquiring minds want to know.

Boolit Master
    This is how I cast my GB's, I did this in my dorm room a few weeks back. This bullet is for my 1911 45 ACP, mold is a Lee Double Caivty RNFP 255gr lead bullet, glue cast they weigh 20grs.

1. Lube the mold cavity, I used vegatable oil applied with a tooth brush, very light coat this was all we had in our room.

2. With open spur plate shot the cavity full of glue.

3. Turn and put the mold in the freezer right away

4. Take the mold out after about a minute

5. Pop open the mold bullets fall right out because of the oil

6. Repeat.

7. As the mold is in the freezer, I took a utility knife and cut off base at the last lube band.

8. Leave them out for an hour on the country to harden up completely.

Case Prep.

1. Pick out 50 or so cases, mark the case head with a black marker to set them apart.

2. Drill out primer pockets to 1/8"

3. Prime Case, I am using Magnum Large Rifle Primers because we had 2 packs under the bench and no other reason to use them

4. Either hand seat the GB with finger pressure, or just set up your die in your press and seat them like a normal bullet.

This is my method, it works for me, when shooting a GB make sure there is a light coat of gun oil/lube so the GB doesnt get stuck in the barrel, happened to me with my dads Ruger, punched the bullet out without a problem, I have yet to have a problem with my 1911 and suspect I will not.

6 paces in my garage 10 shots

Again these are not toys, I posted this picture a month or so ago when I first started playing with them, it is GRAPHIC/BLOODY, shots were first 5 to 6 yards, after animal was dead I tried point blank just to see GB did punch a hole in his side.

This was with just primers, no powder, 2 shots in the dome an it was lights out on this guy.

Tomorrow I will try a rifle bullet. I wish I had my Savage 340 30-30 in working condition right now would be perfect for this test. Has anyone tried to seat a gas check yet on a GB?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Well I couldnt wait for tomorrow to try to make rifle bullets, when I get an idea rolling around in my head when it is time to sleep I cant sleep, I need to know if it will work.

I cant test these out until I get a few small parts for my 30-30, I dont want to shoot them in my 30-06's to much $ in those.

My plan is tomorrow machine the primer pockets so I can use 209 shotgun primers. That, I think anyways, will give enough to push it out of the barrel with force.

It shall work!
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Well, you got me hooked in Gents. I'm going to be trying to pick up a second .45 mold cheap, and diging out my Parents old high temp glue gun this weekend.

G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Quote Originally Posted by jballs918 View Post
    kev please tell us what setup you used. i mean crimp no crimp lube no lube so on and so forth. inquiring minds want to know.
    Good point,

I have a 41 mag so I had to cast my Gluelits. I coated my mold with spray graphite but that wasn't working too well. So now between each cast I swab the cavities with a light coat of "PAM" (applied with a Q-tip.)

Glueits were lubed with crisco but I think on my next try I will try tumble lubing them with a few drops of canola oil.

I found that the pistol primers I had on hand were not pushing the gluelit hard enough to reliably clear a 6 1/2" barrel. So I went to large rifle magnum primers and it works great when you seat the gluelits all the way down in the case so that they are firmly pressed abainst the case web (no crimp)

All female types in the house are now convinced that I am crazy.

Kev

I use a High temperature hot melt glue gun under the hypothesis that the glue might be stronger/harder (not sure if this is true).

Be forwarned, if you are casting gluelits with said high temperature glue gun and are too busy learing at Liv Tyler on Jay Leno to pay attention, you will hot glue the back of your hand. It burns like heck and leaves a dandy blister.

Be careful

Kev

KEv

Boolit Master
    I couldnt wait for the parts for my 30-30 to come in so I grabbed my brothers 336 out of the safe and tried a few. At first I couldnt get the round to chamber, primer was not seated into the case enough so I had to go back in and drill some more. It works now, accuracy was iffy and velocity was slow. I dont know if accuracy suffers because of the micro groove barrel on Zacs 336. You dont hear the primer pop all you hear is the GB hitting the cardboard.

I will have my parts for my Savage 340 this week and will get that back together with any luck it will shoot GB's good.

I did run one through my lee .309 sizer last night and crimped a gas check on the base, but I dont know we are talking about some money now...lol

Bullets are black because there are once fired, the only punched through one side of the box at 10 yards,
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

so how about those slugs? lol

Boolit Master
    We have yet to have anyone step up and try it, as far as I know. I would but I dont not have the required equipment.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Super Moderator

..........You guys are having too much fun. How about if you dropped a BB in the nose of the mould and then added hot glue? A bit of added weight up front might aid upset due to inertia and also have a shuttle cock effect (potato in the sock type thing)?

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr. President,
    Check the rifle gluelits after firing. If you notice any rifling marks on them, check your bore for smearing. A bore brush followed by a patch with Hoppe's will clean it up all spic and spam.

Creepyrat,
    R&D is formulating a procedure for making 12 gauge gluelits. Right now, we're working on a lubing procedure for gluelits to be used in rifled bores. Give us time and we'll get there. Ya' gotta remember, we're opening doors that no one has ever been through.

Buckshot,
    Your idea about a weight forward gluelit is also on the drawing board here at R&D. We're thinking that a spitzer point mold is going to be user friendly here as it would locate and keep centered a small round ball of some type. Again, we're working on all these ideas, but we're limited in our time and manpower resources.

By the way, Buckshot, how did we score a 4 star rating on this thread? If that came from you or one of the powers that be here at Cast Boolits, thank you! We appreciate your encouragement and support.

Finally, if anyone actually generates documented results through testing, PLEASE, notify us here at R&D. We can use all the help we can get. Thanks again to all for your participation.

Sincerely,

Cool

....ineresting idea Buckshot..............poor VP R&D is geting run ragged , and may hafta quit his "regular " job to concentrate on NAGS .........while we're all earegly awaiting Ricochet's response to our nomination as Sec.Treas., I would like to nominate Buckshot as 1st Executive Vice President to our esteemed VP R&D chief....you too, sir, have the technical know-how and inquisitive nature that makes for premier R&D.....what say all???

.....do that four star mean we sumbody??????
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by woodman51jfk View Post
    As far as secretary treasurer nominations, I submit Ricochet for the position.......he has the acumen for the position, as well as a keen eye for detail, and I feel he wouldn't let us stray into fiscal distress ( if we ever develop a fiscal being! ).
    I'd missed this part. As for secretary, I can definitely type out a bunch of words. As a treasurer, I'm short of treasure.

I think my wife has a hot glue gun around here somewhere. If she doesn't, I'm sure my artist kids have one lying around somewhere. I've got to give this a try!

As for fiscal responsibility, I notice that those blackened, once-fired gluelits look ready to go again. I'll bet these things are good for multiple trips down the pipe.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

i may pickup a slug mold in a few weeks as it has been on my mind anyways. if i get it ill send you a few doug.

Super Moderator

Rating stars

"By the way, Buckshot, how did we score a 4 star rating on this thread? If that came from you or one of the powers that be here at Cast Boolits, thank you! We appreciate your encouragement and support."

................Up at the top of the page for each individual thread there are a couple boxes. One is to "Rate This Thread". Anyone may go there and vote for the number of stars to put on a thread. It wasn't me, but someone who knew about it decided the thread rated the stars. I do to, I just didn't think about it!

What I need to know is that there doesn't appear to be an agreed upon official name for these semi translucent and somewhat flexible projectiles. Is it Gloolit, Gluelit, Glueblits or something else

So far as R&D goes. Has anyone tried casting these things while the mould is sitting in a pan of chilled water, or does the glue set up too fast in the mould cavity that way?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Has anyone tried casting these things while the mould is sitting in a pan of chilled water, or does the glue set up too fast in the mould cavity that way?

..............Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Good question, Buckshot!
    It's a bit difficult to cast "gluelits" without actually holding the mold in your hand. The mold halves need to be held together pretty tight to keep the glue from spreading them apart. Also, if the mold is too cold, the glue sets up early, causing serious wrinkles and bubbles in the cast. Just as in casting lead, there's a window of temperature that needs to be maintained.

Jim

I can't wait to try the gloobits, however I have a question about using PAM. When baking/cooking with PAM I notice that where there is spray but no food the PAM residue gets extremely tacky and is extremely difficult to get off the pot or baking sheet and once exposed to heat again is almost impossible to get off and it just gets worse as time goes on. would this same thing occur if you use it to cast the gloobits and if so, how much of a problem would it cause to equipment and such?

Just wondering.....
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

Boolit Buddy
    This process of "shooting glue" into the mold - isnīt that called "injection molding", rather than casting where the lead fills the mold by itīs own weight?

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ................ but someone who knew about it decided the thread rated the stars.
    ..............Buckshot
    Guilty.....

Its just such a cool idea, and lots of good info here!

G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast