Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading UKRepackbox
Lee PrecisionADvertise hereRotoMetals2

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

So, the 358 gluboolits are too small to run through the large stick glue gun, and too big to run through the small stick gun, and not worth the effort to experiment further...toss the bad ones, and cast better ones. Bangerjim, I'm only looking for 'minute of squirrel' at about 5 yards. It may turn out that the sand doesn't work, time will tell. I 'remake' the mold after I pull a gluboolit out. I thought to try it, because I don't own a mold to cast this boolit, I buy the lead ones from a seller here.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    So, the 358 gluboolits are too small to run through the large stick glue gun, and too big to run through the small stick gun, and not worth the effort to experiment further...toss the bad ones, and cast better ones. Bangerjim, I'm only looking for 'minute of squirrel' at about 5 yards. It may turn out that the sand doesn't work, time will tell. I 'remake' the mold after I pull a gluboolit out. I thought to try it, because I don't own a mold to cast this boolit, I buy the lead ones from a seller here.
    I really think the sand will stick VERY well to the HMG. Try it an see, but you do not want to shoot sand jacketed boolits down your barrel!!!!!!

I have recovered many HMG boolits from my target boxes and most were in waaaay too bad a condition to reuse. (I use primer + a little powder, so they hit PRETTY DARNED HARD!) So I just throw them away.

I agree, I don't wanna scour my bore with sand. Zoomed my cell phone camera to 8X, and took a close-up. You can see sand imprint, but I didn't see any sand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210410_170124.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	281121
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I agree, I don't wanna scour my bore with sand. Zoomed my cell phone camera to 8X, and took a close-up. You can see sand imprint, but I didn't see any sand.Click image for larger version. 

More power to 'ya! Hope they work for your purpose.

I personally can cast a ton of HMG's in a very short time using my standard molds. I spray the cavities with PAN......YES greasy, oily, slimy old PAM (!!)....to act as a release agent. Then pump the cavities full of HMG with my industrial-grade glue gun and COOL the mold on the bottom and sides with an ice cube. Once the HMG sets up, I open the mold and the boolits almost fall out due to the PAM. I can cast hundreds of the plastic things just about as fast as casting with hot lead alloy.

Once I am done, I just wipe the cavities out lightly with a good absorbent tissue and put the mold up to use for casting Pb. No cleaning and scrubbing and scrubbing and cleaning to get the little PAM left out! A pour or two of 700+ F Pb will do the trick! Every time! Never had a wrinkled boolit yet in doing this procedure many MANY dozens of times with several standard and NLG molds. I have made wrinkled boolits in the past due to low temps on my molds and alloys! But never from greases or oils in the molds.

Good luck with your sand castings.

banger

Just saying, sand works as a good temporary to see if you like Gluboolits but if your going to be doing them a lot, invest in a mold. It will save you a ton of time having to keep re-forming sand and than inspecting to make sure none went in the glue. Just a cheap 2cav Lee will be all you really need.

That or see if another member lives near you and is willing to let you use one of their molds for making a bunch using the ice trick mentioned above.

One thing I've changed in my process is to skip using the sprue plate on the mold and instead, fill the mold cavity with glue to just over the top and cut the base flush with the mold using a razor blade.
    This allows you to see the gloolit as it's drying - so you never open the mold prematurely, it makes for a nice flat flush base and prevents the little air bubble I was occasionally getting with the pump fill method.

Boolit Mold
    I gotta try this with the 500 mag

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920