RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Gun Expert told me"

Boolit Grand Master

OBXPilgrim;
    Thanks for the LOL!!! Heck, we'll take up a collection to get you out of jail!

Dale53

Boolit Master

preference

" ......Expert - "EX" a has been and "SPERT" a leak under pressure"
    Actually, I prefer; an expert is "just a dribble".
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

We're so lucky to have all these experts.

How can we possibly go wrong when the shooting hobby has more "Experts" telling us what to do then a gooose has feathers.
    If someone sits down next to me and makes one large hole at 100 yards then I'm very likely to ask for their advice. Otherwise I don't want any, thank you.

Boolit Master
    An expert knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

A gereralist knows less and less about more and more until he knows nothing about absolutely everything.

Both are sort of like teaching Robert Heinlein's pig to sing. I try to avoid them both cause I still have lots to learn.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

If cast bullets are going to ruin my Garand, it should happen soon, only been doing it for 20 years with no ill effects yet.
    Big Bullets at moderate speeds...Makes things move

I've always wondered how the smell of gun oil or the sight of a gun can bring the expert out in men and horses bring the expert out in women.

It gets so you hesitate to even talk to someone at the range for fear of him being an "expert" and having to listen to his garbage for while before excusing yourself in order to be polite.

My advice to "experts" unless you have done it many times.....keep your mouth shut. no one wants to hear what you saw or what your buddy said or the dreaded "they" said this or even what you read.

Boolit Master
    I shoot cast in my garand, the only "problem" i've noticed is a fleck or two of lead on the face of the gas piston. I did notice that the gas port is located on a land and not in the groove.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    Does anyone know where I can get the 311467 Lyman mold ? Is it discontinued, I couldnt find it on midways website.

I shoot the 314299 sized to .312 out of my 03A3 can I use this bullet instead?

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 314299 sized .311" with Hornady gas checks out of my 1903 with 13 grains of Red Dot. Makes a good load for practice. It feeds through the magazine OK. I use the 700 yard sight setting for 100 yard shooting.

On Heaven's Range

milsurpcollector1970;125199-- "Does anyone know where I can get the 311467 Lyman mold ? Is it discontinued, I couldn't find it on Midway's website."

It is indeed discontinued, as far as I know. However, it's a very popular design and plenty of moulds were made in this form.

They often come up on EBay and I think that there are a couple examples there right now. Make sure to search for "mold", "mould" and the plurals of both, or you'll miss many listings. Also search on "Lyman", because I see moulds under that name that don't appear in the "mold" listings.

My 311467 is a four-cavity model, and casts right at .314" on the basebands, which allows it to work in many different rifles. I've actually had better success with its lighter-weight brother, the 311466, which casts around 150 grains instead of 467's +/- 180. You may want to keep that one in mind, too.

Casting fast and hot as I do, I have no trouble getting these 'busy' Loverin designs (with all the grooves) to fill out well. That 4-cav mould can kick out 1000 boolits per hour on a good day!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    The expert was only repeating something heard or read, so now you know why there are so many of these experts. They keep cloning themselves so we will never run out of them.

Boolit Master

BOY HOWDY !!!

Resurrecting an OLD thread.

When I joined this group of Happy Caster's I was really intrigued by folks shooting cast in an M1 Garand. Going up 1950's-1960's this was a big no-no. After reading threads about it, I asked questions of Folks whose Opinion that I Really respected. Loaded up some #311413 and tried them, worked like a charm. Cleaned as recommended, easy as ice cream sliding don't a kid's throat on a hot day.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Sorry i saw that title and never looked at the date, know it alls have been in my face lately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12