Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to get back into casting, need advice

Dave, make sure you bring that 45 cal Lee mold along on Tuesday, if you can find it among your packed gear.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both a Forney 200 amp stick welder and a Lincoln 100 amp wire welder. Either one will do this kind of welding. I'd suggest you use several two cavity angle iron ingot moulds rather than a four cavity. The two cavity are just about all you want to wrestle when hot. It takes the same amount of material to do it that way. 10' of eighth inch 1 1/2"angle iron and 10' of 3/16" by 1 1/2" strap will build 10 cavities, which yields about 50 pounds of ingots.

I disagree on the fact that Marvelux shouldn't be stirred. The directions on the can even say to stir it thoroughly. I do agree that after the initial stirring, it should not be stirred again unless re-fluxing.

For smelting, I use a carbon base flux, the Marvelux is used for casting.

Boolit Master

I've shot about 2500 of the Lee TL452-230-2R (#90350) through my 1991. It's an easy bullet to cast and I just use one coat of the Lee Liquid Alox. I don't bother to size it either, I can't picture it being any easier than this and gives me more time to shoot them. I cast 1/10 tin/WW.

This is the only image I have of the gun, boolits, and a target shot without a rest at 25-yards. My shooting has gotten a little better and one day I will get some real powder. Trying to consume 2# of Unique that was given to me and I swear that it grows when left in the canister! Actually only have enough left to shoot about 100 bullets and then I will start again.
    Michael

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern
    Dave, make sure you bring that 45 cal Lee mold along on Tuesday, if you can find it among your packed gear.
    Rich,

I took a guess you'd be saying that and went ahead and dug it out. It's sitting here on my computer desk along with my Browning Clone.

Dave

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA
    Rich,

I took a guess you'd be saying that and went ahead and dug it out. It's sitting here on my computer desk along with my Browning Clone.

Dave
    Hey - it's nice to see that someone else has a pistola, albeit not a large bore, sitting right to hand on the computer desk!

I personally attribute my computer's recent good behavior to the fact it KNOWS there is a fully loaded 1911A1 sitting VERY handy to my hand in the event it wants to start messing up!
    Regards,

WE

Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR
    Hey - it's nice to see that someone else has a pistola, albeit not a large bore, sitting right to hand on the computer desk!

I personally attribute my computer's recent good behavior to the fact it KNOWS there is a fully loaded 1911A1 sitting VERY handy to my hand in the event it wants to start messing up!
    LOL!! Actually, the Browning clone is just in it's package. There's a .45ACP in probably every room in the house and a couple shotguns stashed here and there. And no, these are my low end guns, not my safe queens. Tuned yes, deadly if need be, yes, cost an arm and a leg, no.

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding 9 mm bullets - I haven't had good accuracy with .356 molds desinged for 9 mm - this from multiple guns. I've been using a .358 mold designed for 38/357 with much better accuracy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doble Troble
    Regarding 9 mm bullets - I haven't had good accuracy with .356 molds desinged for 9 mm - this from multiple guns. I've been using a .358 mold designed for 38/357 with much better accuracy.
    Doble Troble,

That's hard to understand. I have the RCBS 124 gr TC nose bullet, for 9mm and everything I've shot it out of performed better then a 9mm should. Examples are: I have a 38/45 wildcat (45acp necked down to 9mm) and it's set up on a Gold Cup frame and I tuned the whole thing and at 25 yards it cuts a 3/4 in hole, My Browning HP shoots the same bullet just under 1 1/2 in at 25 yards, and my WWII Walther P38 also shoots about 1 1/2 inches. I had a 9mm slide and barrel for my Gold Cup frame and it shot better then 1 1/2 inch. I'm wondering what's the matter with your stuff. What mould or moulds in 9mm have you tried? Alloy? Lube? and pistols?

Joe

Boolit Master
    Dave, How close are you to Savannah? I'm moving down to the Hilton Head area next week, for a two year project. If you're anywhere near there I'd be happy to get together and help you get going once I'm a little settled in. BD

Boolit Buddy
    Joe,

I've shot thousands of bullets from two Lee Molds in a Kahr P9 and a Star BM. Both are accurate pistols with jacketed bullets.

The first mold I got was the Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold TL356-124-2R (356 Diameter) 124 Grain Tumble Lube 2 Ogive Radius
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=476412

In both guns I had a hard time keeping 15 YD paper plate accuracy. My favorite thing to do with a handgun is to dance cans and bottles around at 15 to 25 yds and this level of accuracy just didn't cut it. A friend recommended trying a larger diameter bullet for 38 and accuracy improved dramatically. I finally bought the Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 358-105-SWC (358 Diameter) 105 Grain Semi-Wadcutter http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=458304 and have been dancing cans happily ever since.

I use Mutt Metal for casting which is an uncharacterized mix of pure lead and range finds, mostly 45-70ish bullets that have accumulated after years of monthly buffalo shoots. After a rain I can pick up handfuls of these of the surface of our berms. I water quench and Lee Lube without sizing, they drop at .358. I've tried a bunch of other lubes but the Lee Liquid Alox does as well or better than all of them. I shoot both these bullets over 5.5 gr of Unique and occaisionally have grey wash at the muzzle, but nothing serious.

Banned
    My RCBS casts fat enough to size it just about where I want too. Sounds like some of your 9mm have fat groove diameters. That 5.5, although not maxium by any means, is a pretty fast stepping load. I'm not surprised you get some grey wash occassionally.

Have fun and good shooting.

Joe

It's official. Dave is a boolit man! Here he is, sitting at my bench, assembling the 9mm rounds he cast this morning. His new Lee six cavity .45 SWC mold worked great, too. We had a fun time casting, talking about pistols, rifles, presses. This is how Tuesdays should be for every gun enthusiast!

Ya done good, Dave! I see large piles of lead ingots in your future!

Quote Originally Posted by BD
    Dave, How close are you to Savannah? I'm moving down to the Hilton Head area next week, for a two year project. If you're anywhere near there I'd be happy to get together and help you get going once I'm a little settled in. BD
    BD,

Savannah is on the coast and I'm up by the bottom of the smokey mountain range in North East Georgia. That said, if you'd like to come by on a weekend and do some bullet casting and shooting in the future, I'd be glad to host you at my home. We have one of them fancy guest bedrooms and all that. Also, Savannah is one of my favorite coastal towns in Georgia and I'd like to come visit out there just to hang out.

Regards,

Dave

It's official. Dave is a boolit man! Here he is, sitting at my bench, assembling the 9mm rounds he cast this morning. His new Lee six cavity .45 SWC mold worked great, too. We had a fun time casting, talking about pistols, rifles, presses. This is how Tuesdays should be for every gun enthusiast!

Ya done good, Dave! I see large piles of lead ingots in your future!
    Dang,

Rich has done un beat me to the punch and throwed a picture on here. Jeesh, either I'm a red faced scotsman or that red is reflecting off them Lee presses big time. Maybe a little of both.

Thanks again for a great time Rich.

Regards,

Dave

Jeesh, either I'm a red faced scotsman or that red is reflecting off them Lee presses big time.
    Editors note: While Dave appears to be holding the handle of a Lee Turret press, in fact, he is holding a whiskey glass, having just toasted with his fourth shot of the morning, while drinking heavily between batches of steeply overcharged 9mm reloads...

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie
    Would that be a Rowell ladle?
    I think it is, yes. It was recommended to me by those on this forum. Seems to have a unique design.
    If it IS a Rowell ladle (like the picture below), be sure to report your results when you start casting with it.

Everyone I have seen comment on them says they are fine (especially the larger sizes) for pouring clean lead into ingots...but nobody likes them for casting bullets.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    BD,

Savannah is on the coast and I'm up by the bottom of the smokey mountain range in North East Georgia. That said, if you'd like to come by on a weekend and do some bullet casting and shooting in the future, I'd be glad to host you at my home. We have one of them fancy guest bedrooms and all that. Also, Savannah is one of my favorite coastal towns in Georgia and I'd like to come visit out there just to hang out.
    Dave I'll get in touch through the forum once I'm settled in. It's going to be a bit of a change in climate and culture coming from Maine. BD

Works for me BD. The good thing about the Atlanta area is there's lotsa "imports" from here, there and yon. I'm from NC, Rich is from New Jersey via Massachusetts, so we oughta be able to make you feel comfortable, if not at home.

Regards,

Dave

Editors note: While Dave appears to be holding the handle of a Lee Turret press, in fact, he is holding a whiskey glass, having just toasted with his fourth shot of the morning, while drinking heavily between batches of steeply overcharged 9mm reloads...

Ack!!! I'm busted....oh well....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12