RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best lubes

Best lubes

Have acouple of questions for you people........
    What is the best and easyest lube to use for pan lubbing?
    What is the best and easyest lube to use in an sizer and lubber machine?
    Don't know which way to go. axxman928

Boolit Master

Check with LAR45 he has a dandy assortment of lubes and he will send you a sample pack at no cost for your perusal. I use his red carnuba with excellent results and it is really inexpensive.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Best Lube

Quote Originally Posted by axxman928 View Post
    Have acouple of questions for you people........
    I have to go with Crash on the Lars Carnauba Red being a great lube. I made a batch of Felix Lube that is easily the equal only I have to heat it up & pour it into the sizer--my lube-stick molds didn't work out like I would have liked.

I'm going to give the Bullshop stuff a try as I hear it is good stuff too.

If you don't mind all the stink and smoke, LLA is hard to beat for ease of installation. Some folks hate it-others love it. Newtire<---loves it!

I only cast for BP projectiles and these are large boolits. I am told pan lubing works best with large projectiles and after some failed attempts, I now have settled on a mix and method that works VERY well for me.

Mine is 56% Crisco (the lard type stuff), 41% beeswax and 3% paraffin. All by weight. I use the double boiler method to mix/melt the ingredients in a 3lb coffee can, pour into a round tin which is lined in aluminum foil (acts as a release agent and keeps SWMBO's pan clean) and remove the boolits after about an hour and a half (or when the wafer allows handling). I let it set up over night once and needed a hammer to get them out (well, not that bad but the results were not as good).

That's what I'm doing, and the lube is working well....
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Moderator Emeritus

Having recently dip lubed myself in LLA during the group buy, I can attest to its utility.
    It really is a great dip lube if thinned a bit. (The wife says it aint much of a cologne though).

Wiljen

Boolit Buddy
    Having recently dip lubed myself in LLA
    Your supposed to put it on the boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by axxman928 View Post

Ax,

The best lube to use for pan lubing is a two part answer. First answer is, a lube that won't burn off the ingredients and change the properties as you heat .... and reheat .... and reheat. So that means that unless you know what the ingredients are in a lube, how do you have any idea when to throw out a lube or add fresh ingredients. And trust me, cheap SOBs like casters NEVER waste lube. Why you got guys out there looking at dog do do trying to figure out how to make use of it. Trust me.

So that eliminates lubes purchased from somebody else that have secret ingredients. In my mind you need to make something simple for yourself. Like Bee's wax and Vasoline or something.

Best lube for a lubrisizer depends on what you want to do with it. The widest application lube which means it is the easiest to use in the broadest applications for handgun or rifle is NRA formula or 50/50 Bee's wax and Alox.

But after you get your feet under ya, there are lubes out there that beat that all to hell. Just not one for every situation. So you need two lubrisizers.

The best lube for what?

Ease of application, accuracy, leading, consistency, price? You need to define what your goals are because there is no one best lube. Every caliber, barrel, and bullet combination will show a preference. Just like powder and primer choice. IMHO, to marry yourself to one particular lube is a mistake. You need to setup your criteria based on your needs and goals. For me that is in this order.

1. ACCURACY A hunting rifle load should shoot sub-inch at 100 yards for three shots. A revolver load should shoot sub-inch at 25 yards for five shots. Both from the bench.

2. CONSISTENCY The load/rifle should do this everytime after the bore has shot its necessary number of fouling shots. No cold start flyers. No purging.

3. VELOCITY The lube must perfom at the velocity and pressure range that you want to operate in. The hardness of the lube will come into play here and used as another variable.

3. LEADING Assuming the bullet is well fit and sized to the gun, there should be no leading caused by the lube giving up on you. This may require playing with the alloy and hardness to overcome barrel conditions. Minor powdery leading is overlooked if it's a gradual thing. The lube should be used up in the barrel and not left on the recovered bullet. Leading is a minor issue if the above goals have been met. A little elbow grease and a copper "Chore Boy" is a small price to pay.

4. EASE OF APPLICATION Just something you have to deal with. Some are better than others and may or may not require a lube heater. Softer lubes seem to perform better than really hard ones, but will be dictated somewhat by velocity and pressure. An eye has to kept on how the lubed bullets load, handle, store, travel, and handle heat.

That's my list and how I look at lubes. Too much is made of the "lack of leading" thing and one size fits all. For just starting out, pick a softer lube that's easy to apply with your equipment. Get a couple different types from different manufacturer's and try them. Everytime you get a new gun or mold, retry all the lubes you have until you find one that works best.

Boolit Master
    Whew! Nice summation. I had to write that down.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

that IS the definitive answer BA. I sticky'ed it to help.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned
    BaBore

Perfectly stated

Simplily the matter of tracking down the most qualified and knowledgeable individuals, listening and understanding what they tell you, then applying it yourself to see. "I done it" beats "I heard it" everytime. Just don't know if I have enough time left to do it all.

Boolit Mold

just my opin...

LBT blue

I've been making lube for a few years but haven't been able to acquire a whole lotta knowledge because I've been concentrating on other variables where I can really notice a difference, like BHN. However, I'm inclined to believe that lube composition isn't as critical a factor as lube amount if we're talking about basic beeswax and oil type lubes. I would like to find a formula that places the first shot of the day nearer to the rest of the group though... if that's even possible. That's another reason why I tried a little softer lube with a higher oil to beeswax ratio but it didn't seem to help. I don't clean my barrels so the fouling shot thing shouldn't apply; i.e., my fouling shots are fired during the previous range session.

MJ

P.S. I try to keep my maximum loads in the 35K to 40K CUP for my Marlin 336 shooting, but once I get my scoped .358 Hawkeye going maybe I'll learn more about lube tolerance to heat and pressure.

Boolit Mold
    Hello Gang, Wonder if anyone is using Rooster Jacket for Cast Boolets.
    Mayhaw2

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhaw2 View Post
    Hello Gang, Wonder if anyone is using Rooster Jacket for Cast Boolets.
    Mayhaw2
    2 light coats work great for me in .45 ACP at ~740-800 fps in either revolver or auto. The same 2 light coats lead the heck out of a .38 at ~830 fps. 3 coats is much better, but still a bit of leading. I'm going to keep tweaking the load, alloy and application to make it work though... The hard, dry coating and no trip through the sizer makes it a good system for IPSC, ICORE and other match type loads where you need a bunch of ammo and speed loads are important. I can't see it being any good for rifle or magnum handgun loads. Liquid Alox is a better lubricant and I'd use that if not for the sticky bullet noses.

Banned

Babore rules!
    Every gun and boolit is different and those that work with one lube won't work with another. Lubes are like powders in that you don't load every caliber with one powder and I know darn well all of you have cans and cans of different powders, also primers. To use one lube only for all guns just doesn't work. To use a lube because it is easy to use limits what your gun can do. Sometimes we have to work a little.
    For instance, I have one boolit that I didn't have an over size die for and Lar's carnauba red is great with it. Not wanting to size, I rubbed the stuff into the grooves with my fingers. They shot super but I wore the skin off my finger. I have since made a die. Maybe the red would pan lube but I hate to try melting a good lube. We just need to suffer once in a while!

Banner Sponsor

I'm in Oregon visiting my brother right now, but you can email for free samples to
    sales@LsStuff.com
    Just send your address and which lubes you want to try.
    Carnauba Red, BAC, Xlox 2500+ or 50-50 www.lsstuff.com/lube for details.
    I do have Liquid Alox in 8 and 32oz bottles, but no sample sizes on that.
    My wife is still shipping packages while I'm gone.
    Thanks
    Glenn.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

What part of Orygun? Driving thru central ore ?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

I've used some sample homecast bullets and some Hot Shot bullets both lubed with Lar's Red and the lube worked well for both 10mm and 45 Auto. Going to order a bunch of lube for all my stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast