Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Head scratcher: How does lube work?

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    ..what if any effect would dipping the boolit itself in ,say,vasoline or soft mutton fat/frypan grease,before chambering in rifle have??? would it be positive effect by sliding down into junction of boolit and barrel and making it slipperier?
    I'd figure the front end of the boolit would scrape it off like a squeegee and it wouldn't really lubricate much at all.
    But the added weight of lube or anything else in front of the boolit would raise the chamber pressure to one degree or another.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    yip that figures....but I wont know if dont ask LOL.

Boolit Mold
    I recall an article a few months back, I do not remember where...the people shooting service rifle matches in the early 1920s, were having a bad build-up of copper in their bores. So some bright boy decided that if he dipped the nose of the jacketed round in grease, the copper fouling would be mitigated. Well to some extent it was, and the trick was passed around. The fly in the ointment was that the springfield's started to fail. Further testing showed the dreaded "low number weakness", and the fact that the more is better crowd combined it and generated 80,000 psi or more. About this time the metallurgy on the jacket mix was revised and the original problem was pretty well cleared up. The word got around and grease dipping ceased.

Boolit Master

Plugs and muffs I remember reading about that years ago I think it was from Hatcher's notebook and if I remember correctly had something to do with tin?
    I forget if the tin was in jacket material or was on it? Back then many bullet jackets were copper nickel alloy and looked like steel jackets .

Plugs and Muffs is How I shoot two of my pistols a .221 Fireball and a .256 Winchester Magnum both have a lot of muzzle blast!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - These days, (as ya’ll no) one can NUMERICALY calculate how most anything verks
    with the nearly unlimited computer power out there…..

In this case, geometry is “axisymmetric” (round) greatly simplifying it all.
    “EZ geometry….”
    “boundry condtions aren’t THAT bad”…..
    “etc.”

Am decades behind on this stuff, but am sure there is lottsa canned computer stuff
    (computational fluid dynamics) (?) available to do the numbercrunchin’.

HARD PART: “develop a material model for LUBE …”

Have Pun Fellas! !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123