RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be a good powder for .223 and 300AAC Blackout?

Boolit Buddy

What would be a good powder for .223 and 300AAC Blackout?

Wondering what would be a good powder for my AR for reloading the .223 and 300 blackout?
    Life member NRA and Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Big bore air rifle shooter

Boolit Master

I wouldn't expect the same powder to work well in .223 as in .300 AAC Blackout loaded subsonic (as it was intended to be). The Blackout, to give minimum muzzle blast (for best suppression) should be loaded with a light load of fast powder (like pistol powder -- think "mouse fart" loads), so as to have the lowest possible muzzle pressure as well as keeping the bullet below about 1000 ft/s at the muzzle. For .223 to duplicate or exceed 5.56 loads, you'll want a slower powder (NATO ammo is optimized for the full length M16, rather than the short M4 barrel).

Boolit Bub
    I like IMR 4895 for the .223. I have no experience with the .300 AAC Blackout, from what I understand it's not an overly accurate cartridge. I'd agree with a pistol powder in it, probably Unique.

Regards,

JP99

Boolit Master

If you don't have any experience with a cartridge, don't talk out the side of your keester or repeat what others say. I own rifles in both cartridges as well as other 30 caliber cartridges as well. I'll take the 300 BLK out to 200 yards and beat many other 30 caliber cartridges in group size.

300BLK works best with H110 or AA1680 for supersonic loads. IMR4895 will not give you the pressure curve you need to operate a 300BLK AR but if you have a bolt rifle in the caliber it will work fine but you won't get optimum burn with the powder. Unique will work in a bolt rifle as well but you'll run into pressure issues if you try to use Unique to run an AR.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

I've done quite a bit of loading for both cartridges. The 300 is alot more forgiving than the .223, and JP, it's actually a very accurate cartridge. Like any other it all depends on the barrel, ammo and shooter.

My favorite powder for the .223 hands down is varget. H332 and H335 work quite well. H4895 is ok, though some of my buddies swear by it (I think they have some reloading juju I don't). Most anything on the faster side of rifle powders will work, though do your research before dropping any powder.

The two powders that were initially recommended for the 300 AAC were H110 for supersonic loads and A1680 for subs. I havn't tried A1680 yet but do have a pound on order. H110 is pretty universal in this cartridge, I've loaded all the way up to 230 grain bullets with it. Red Dot will work. XMP5744 is good stuff for light to mid weight bullets. For mid to heavy stuff, Reloader 7 is great (also works in the .223). Anything slower than Reloader 7 leaves alot of unburned powder in the chamber.

That should get you started. I have more data and specific loads. If you need help, feel free to PM me.

Re: What would be a good powder for .223 and 300AAC Blackout?

u pushing a Cast or fmj projectile?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Boolit Master

Cast and jacketed both work great in the 300 AAC, just pick a powder. If it works for one bullet style it will work with the other.

For j-warts in .223, I second the Varget recommendation. Best load are compressed, burns very clean and almost no muzzle flash, unlike H335 or the milsurp 844 equivalent. I don't do cast in any .22s, but I'd be inclined to try Lil'Gun, AA#9, 1680, or 300MP. They do excellent work in my .25-20s. 300MP is my current pet, but it's very hard to find. M
    Cognitive Dissident

In Remembrance

Accurate #2230 powder.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    If you don't have any experience with a cartridge, don't talk out the side of your keester or repeat what others say. I own rifles in both cartridges as well as other 30 caliber cartridges as well. I'll take the 300 BLK out to 200 yards and beat many other 30 caliber cartridges in group size.
    Well maybe I should say I have no experience reloading it as I have shot a few rifles chambered in it and wasn't all that impressed. I'm guessing there is potential, I've definitely shot less accurate rifles. Neat cartridge though.

Regards,

JP99

Boolit Master

USCRA112, who makes 300 MP and what kind of powder is it? I've never heard of it. I'm falling behind on the times......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    I have no experience with the .300 AAC Blackout, from what I understand it's not an overly accurate cartridge. I

JP99
    Really? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know the loads that he worked up, but a friend of mine loads .223 and .300aac with IMR 4350. I know it's not much info, but that's all I've got.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Love Life
    Alliant makes the Power Pro 300 MP.

Boolit Master

Thanks Love life. I'll see about picking up a pound of that next time I'm at the toy store.

Boolit Master
    Humm, I just came across this thread. Very interesting that we have this new powder to "play" with. It seems to hold some promise. A shame I hadn't seen this a few weeks ago. I just got my Powder Valley order in and wasn't planning on another for at least 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    USCRA112, who makes 300 MP and what kind of powder is it? I've never heard of it. I'm falling behind on the times......
    Alliiant. One of the "Power Pro" series, intended for magnum pistol use. It's proving to be excellent in the Schuetzen rifles I play with, loaded down to plain-base velocities (1450 fps). Very low SD over the Chrony, sometimes single digit in my .25-21 Stevens. It's about the same speed as AA#9. American made, too.

Double base, very fine ball powder, meters very well. One of the top shooters in the ASSRA says it doesn't foul his bore like the Belgian AA#9 does. I've never had that problem, but I had to try it.

For some reason the brick-and-mortar retailers aren't stocking it. Not anywhere, and believe me I've looked. I finally broke down and ordered 2# from Wideners. Hate the Hazmat cost, but I'm not sorry.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

AA#9 is one of the powders that's in the butter zone for burning rate in the 300 AAC, so if 300 MP has the right speed and fouls less to boot, sounds like we may have a real winner.

a few that will work OK in either are RE 7 ,H4198, AA2015,H322 Not optimal for either for all bullet weights in either but can be made to work.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I haven't loaded much of either, but I was using 4895 for.223's. I couldn't find any data for .300, so I just tried lil gun. My dad just started loading his .223 with that new CFE powder and it's the best powder he's used yet for .223. I'm not sure if it'd work in the .300, I haven't seen any data for it,
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ