RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A different burn rate chart...

Boolit Master
    I have started using Lever Revolution. Where would that be placed?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    In a cartridge case with a primer below it and a bullet above it? WOW reloading 101 my goodness!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Post #1 the OP
    http://gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html
    Last edited by fouronesix; 12-21-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    Would be nice if it worked that way but BTUs and burn rate within the context of progressive burning in a cartridge are two completely different things. The total potential BTUs in chemical energy within smokeless powders of similar chemical makeup are similar. Example: the BTUs in 5 grains of really fast powder can be very close to the same as the BTUs in 5 grains of really slow powder if both powder types are within the same chemical family.
    Anybody know the standard for measuring burn rate?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    The method I'm aware of uses a closed, thermodynamic testing chamber. Of course it yields BTU data for any material burned inside and can measure the relative rate of burn amongst the powders being tested. Relative being the operative concept within the unlimited expansion ratio variables.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master
    It would be nice to beable to down load this chart. There are many brands that are not readily available and don't desrve to be on any list I use. In this format the columns of worthless brands could be deleted.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    It would be nice to beable to down load this chart. There are many brands that are not readily available and don't desrve to be on any list I use. In this format the columns of worthless brands could be deleted.
    You can download, save and manipulate the cahrt if you have Microsoft Excel.

I highlighted the entire chart. Right clicked, selected 'copy', went to my open excel spreadsheet, highlighted 1 row, selected 'paste'. Put it in, got the warning 'cells aren't ...' ignored that.

Saved it and started slashing what I didn't need. Adjusted the row sizes to fit my needs, added a column for 'surplus powders' .... ad naseum. When done re-saved under a differnet name so I have an 'original' if I need it.

That works if you are using Apache Open Office, too. (AOO is a totally free suite of programs completely compatible with - but better than - Microsoft stuff.)

Boolit Master

I like this chart for my uses. They have a .pdf file which is more to my liking.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/burn-rates/

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    I like that one but it too is incomplete. I see there are no surplus powders much to my dissapointment.
    Just a quick once over and I see in the h-870 win-870 burn rate that AA-8700 is missing. That leads me to believe that under close scrutiney I would discover the absence of others.
    Not to belittle the chart as I like it but all seem to fall short of being complete and is why I keep several just as I do with loading manuals to cross reference.

Boolit Buddy
    I also see a lack of a few cartridge loads I'd need as in 250-Sav and 416 Rigby. I did note the 458 Lott there and think there are probably more 416 Rigbys than the 416 Rems and 4589 Lotss put together. Just my 'gripey' $0.02.

Boolit Grand Master

This burn rate chart is good one http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm
    Charter Member #148

Nope. it isn't. That one is just another "One through xxx" style where any two adjacent powders can be identical, quite close or pretty far apart in burn rate. Worse, it is forced to put identical powders on different lines (see its listing for W231/HP38, which shows them several steps apart - ludicrous.)
    Last edited by Rocky Raab; 01-10-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes this is a good burn rate chart. The 231/hp38,760/h414,hs6/540,hs7/572 etc is just different lots of same powder tested. Yep a good one, one of the most complete I've found, I likey a lot.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea how the picture got on here, it's from another post! oops maybe I shot these with hp38/231
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    OK I got the chart now where can I get some of those fat rainbows?

Boolit Grand Master

Dan they're hidin under the ice, sneeky little buggers You're down Fort Peck way now aren'y you, man your in ice heaven!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Yea but all were getting is them 12lb northerns. Just finished smoking and canning a couple cases.
    I like them fat rainbows for the fry pan!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Yea but all were getting is them 12lb northerns. Just finished smoking and canning a couple cases.
    I like them fat rainbows for the fry pan!
    I like northern too but walleye is my favorite. Forchette bay any good for walleye?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    H110 and W296 were not the same powder as they are now. Years ago there was a difference and I'm not sure if you can use the new powder data with the old powder. Not exactly sure but I think the 296 has changed, anyway both are made by the same company made the same just different label. Probably some other powders done the same way, H4198 & IMR4198?
    I am trying to find an equal to W785 for my 270 Win. It only shoots well with 785, it hates 4831, 4350 and all the powders every one claim are so great in the 270 Win. According to burn charts W870 is listed on the same line as W785 but cane find no data for it in the 270

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast