Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .310" Cadet in .303"

Moderator Emeritus

.310" Cadet in .303"

My summer project is to get reduced loads for some of my collection of military bolt actions that I can use on an indoor 25yrd range.

Last year I got my Trapdoor doing good with 5gns of FFG and a .457" round ball seated in the bottom of ther case. She came third in the club fullbore league up against tricked out and scoped Marlins, Winchesters, Rossi's and all. Much to their chagrin I may add.

So this year I wanted to get the white powder working and range legal.

As I mainly collect .303" I wanted to get one or two of them shooting but bullet choice was my dilemma as I felt my usual 210 grner Lyman 314299 was a bit heavy for the fast powders, Vhit 310, I was wanting to use.

Having nothing obvious on hand my thoughts turned to the .310" Cadet RCBS mould. It drops a 125 grn .320"/heel .310" bullet with 50/50 WW/range scrap. They sized down easy to .314", tumble lubed in LLA and loaded over 4.7 gns Viht N310, its what the cavity on the Lee disc measure dropped in an 1xF HXP 83 case Rem LR primer.

Shot 35 of them tonight benched at 25yrds and they all went through a nice ragged half inch hole, my chrono doesn't work in doors but it was definitely subsonic.

Now I know 25yrds an't much of a test but this is a great load for my needs, the rifle and load will hold the bull of a PL 14 so then its just up to me. Now I get to shoot my full bores any time without the trake to a Military range.

The rifle; an early Savage No 4 MK1, six groove barrel.

One happy bunny.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Very cool!

It's nice to shoot a full size rifle with a 'gallery' load for fun. Cheap, not hard on the shoulder, quiet.

Keep it up.

Got a photo of the loaded round and projectile?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Super Moderator

............dromia, how loud are they? Excellent shooting btw!

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    I'll try and get on the case with some pictures next week, I've got to go to Holland for few days.

Hard to say how loud it is Buckshot, especially with muffs on , probably around the same as a .38 Special out of a short barrel underlever.

It's definitely quieter than .357magnums out of same underlever also quieter than BP loads out of a Ruger Old Army.

Don't know if that helps.
    Last edited by dromia; 06-29-2007 at 03:46 AM.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    Photographs as requested:

Pukka Bundhooks

Very dinky. Nice looking bullet and mould.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus
    Interestingly the boolit has to be seated that deep for the round to chamber.

The blunt nose means that seated that deep its just a few thou off the rifling

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    BTW.

That Boolit also shoots good in the .310 Cadet too. Loaded as cast without resizing, LA lube.

Pukka Bundhooks

Super Moderator

...........Dromia, the reason I was asking about noise has something to do with a cat

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    Buckshot.

Dried starfish/cuttlefish and Tuna oil, totally silent.

The 45-70 round ball load is very quiet .22 level and no smoke.

Pukka Bundhooks

Dromia,I got everything to try that RB in a trapdoor.That looks like it could be my short range critter removing set up.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim