Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Lyman 12ga Sabot Slug Mould 525 grain Load Data Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nort 011.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	96135Hers a picture of the finished product, these slugs are incredible, I doubt you'll be disappointed. HC

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    when you fill the cavity with glue, do they still weigh out the same? I Have to weigh and cull my slugs for best accuracy. I make them in bulk usually a few hundred at least at a clip, then every few years I have to resight when i make more

Boolit Bub
    hey tomcat388th. you still shooting any of this recipe?

Boolit Master
    I was /am using wwaa hull win 114 wad and WSF as in one of the prevous posts (Lyman Book)

Was casting the Lyman Slug by the 20 lb pot

Rem 870 IC rifle sighted barrel and I was Breaking Clays sitting on the berm at 50 yds (freestanding) or close enough to cover it in dirt

No problem shooting 5-10-25 at a sitting and at the price i was reloading them --I did not care --
    Loaded them in the grey AA Hull so they were different from the Red shot loads

WSF I stocked up on --- for Ipsc 9- 40 and 45cal and shotgun loads
    then I got married and had kids (and work every weekend)

at this point till the kids get shooting I have a lifetime supply of WSF and I have been told it is discontinued

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=Wyatt 525;3498396]hey tomcat388th. you still shooting any of this recipe?[/QUOT
    Took the gun out a couple of weeks ago for our late season but ended up taking one with my 41 mag. I prefer the 3 inch version that phasler set up. There for a while it was hard to find federal gold medel 2 3/4 hulls but either one is plenty accurate out of my ultra slug hunter. I was given a mossberg rifled slug barrel my 870 cantilever mount going to load up some more and try them. This barrel is vented and I had trouble with a moss 695 that was vented it would strip the side of the wad and let it gas cut accuracy was not very good. That was with my 2 3/4 load never tried the 3 inch in it.
    Retired Smsgt IL ANG 183 FW

Boolit Mold
    I'm wondering how it would do if instead of filling the back with hotmelt glue. Cut the pin off flat that goes in the mold to form the back of the slug. Then we could get the added weight of the space filled out to flat with metal instead of glue. It might throw off the balance. I think I'm going to try to make another pin to try it so I dont have to change the original in case it doesnt work.

Boolit Bub
    Saw a number of decent loads using 2 3/4" hulls. After several chats with leadhead 500 he is a firm believer that 3" is the way to go. Says the .25" jump using 2 3/4" hulls in a 3" chamber will start to strip wads at the get go. Gonna focus my efforts on the 3" hulls at this point for the 100 yard groups.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt 525 View Post
    Saw a number of decent loads using 2 3/4" hulls. After several chats with leadhead 500 he is a firm believer that 3" is the way to go. Says the .25" jump using 2 3/4" hulls in a 3" chamber will start to strip wads at the get go. Gonna focus my efforts on the 3" hulls at this point for the 100 yard groups.
    My 870 rifled barrel doesn't have that problem. the chamber is smooth tapered down to the rifled part of the barrel. doesn't have the sharp lip like the smooth bore.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never seen a sharp lipped forcing cone in a smoothbore. Generally they have a very gentle conical taper to them. A sharp lip would be very detrimental to shot patterns and wads.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I have never seen a sharp lipped forcing cone in a smoothbore. Generally they have a very gentle conical taper to them. A sharp lip would be very detrimental to shot patterns and wads.
    you are correct. I checked my smooth bore and it has a cone like taper also. I was thinking it was sharper when I looked before.
    I don't see how it would make any difference between 2.75" and 3".

I shoot the Lyman 525 gr. slug in a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel. The key to good accuracy in my opinion is firing the Lyman sabot slug in a rifled barrel.

I use the purest lead I can buy locally which is lead pipe from a local salvage yard. Lansing, MI was replacing its old lead pipes and I bought a couple hundred pounds. Its not pure lead, as the slugs average 490 gr.

Even though it likely makes little difference, I fire slugs that are +/- 2 grains. I am semi-retired so I have the time and it pleases me to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Velocity is between 1250 and 1350 fps. depending upon the powder. I primarily use data from Lyman's shotgun reloading manual. I use 1X fired Winchester AA hulls and Winchester shotgun primers.

Reloading the Lyman Sabot is simplicity itself. Just follow the directions in the Lyman manual. Use the prescribed powder and the wad it specifies. Crimp and fire. Easy peasy.

Blue Dot 45 grains =good accuracy, but recoil is stout.
    Herco 25 grains gave me 4 shots touching at 25 yards when I was sighting in a new scope. Recoil was manageable.
    Universal 25-27 grains yields good accuracy at 50 yards (3" diamater group). Recoil was manageable.
    I had a pound of Tite Wad and the canister listed a 1 ounce (486 gr.) shot load using 18 grains. I loaded up 10 to try out. Haven't done so yet.
    Velocity should be around 1250 fps.

The above is not exact or complete data, but it will give some idea of what the Lyman Sabot will do in a rifled barrel.

If you like the Lyman sabot round enough, you may wish to consider buying a rifled barrel.

Also,I bought the Lee Forester slug mould and made some for my son's smooth bore. But he rarely has time to hunt and I never ordered the other components needed (shot cards?) Anyway, I have some, maybe 20-25. I will send them to you to try out in your smooth bore if you are interested. Just pay the postage (USPS). P.M. me if you want them.

I rely primarily on salvaged lead alloy for my rifle and shotgun. But I plan on buying some pure lead from Roto Metals to see if that affects accuracy.

Hope this helps,

MichiganMike

Boolit Grand Master

Well, that jump to the forcing cone can allow "things" to happen. Not only does a 2 3/4" hull leave that extra 1/4" in a 3" chamber but then there is the long tapered forcing cone. There is time and space there for slugs to tilt a bit if not on a solid wad column. Also, a hollow base slug can obturate to fill the chamber then hit the forcing cone and have to swage down.

If having a gap and tapered entry to a barrel was a good thing then rifles and handguns would have just that. Generally best accuracy is achieved with rifles when the boolit is touching or just shy of the rifling. I have been told by one guy who has a lot of experience and owns several custom slug guns that eliminating the forcing cone and having a more rifle like entry to the bore gives better accuracy with shotgun slugs too ~ for rifled gun.

Anyway, I have had slugs tilt before entering the bore as evidenced by flattened ribs at the nose on one side and base diagonally opposite if the wad column has not been solid enough.

For the most part I have gotten best slug accuracy when slugs are loaded into standard shotcups which of course have the attached cushion leg and provide a sabot like support at firing. This is with smoothbore guns.

There's lots to getting this right and getting good and consistent accuracy... at least with smoothbores. I think rifled guns tend to be easier to work with to achieve decent accuracy but everything still plays a part ~ hull type and quality, wad and wad/slug fit to bore, crimp type and quality and of course powder type and charge.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Have been loading around with this 525gn Lyman for the past three years! I have Mossberg 930 spx, and a SarArms sa, both gas op. The Mossy a smooth bore and the Sar smooth with a Carlson's Bennell mobile pattern rifled choke, neither would pattern well with any of various loads I tried. I accquired a Girsan mc312 (Benelli clone) and mounted the rifled choke, BOOM, 3 shot 2" group at 50yds!!! Examined spent DRF3-12(Fed 12S3) wads with "NO" damage to petals! My only guess is that the gas ports are messing with the petals! OK, slugs are filled with GE silicone caulk and smoothed even while wet, loaded with the DRF3-12 wad over 28.5gn LongShot in primed 2 3/4" Fiocchi hulls. I am one happy guy!! Might want to give it a try.

Boolit Master

Old and armed.....me too, and welcome. You've discovered one of the zillion variables in this wonder world of shotgun slug loads. Nice results! Of course without pics it didn't happen!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I see I am not the only one researching on some slug loads .hehehe

this is a great thread , Thanks

Anyone try one of these yet? Just found out about it yesterday

http://mp-molds.com/index.php/e-shop...a-525-wad-slug

Seems he makes them in wad and full bore versions.

Vendor Sponsor

I have one 4 cavity Brass.. Casts great

out of a DP-12 18" smoothbore Double barrel pump I am getting 3"-4" groups at 50 yds
    open sights .. Some of the size is because this gun has a horrible 16LB trigger pull..
    Something I will work one after deer season
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Oh boy this is scary I am just starting into this slug venture. Seems I may have a leg up with a rifled barrel.
    I need to hit a 6X10 steel plate at 100 yards. Wondering if this will work out.

Boolit Master
    I think you can 6 by 10 with a rifled barrel , just remember the faster they go the more they push back .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast