RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Shoulder problem.......

Boolit Master

30-30 Shoulder problem.......

Okay folks, help me, please.

Attachment 55708

I'm full length sizing all my 30-30 Winchester brass. I set the dies up properly, and lube each case. Several of the cases the shoulder appears crushed, right photo.

Any idea's as to what I'm doing wrong? Too much lube? (I set the die to just bump the top of the shellholder when fully extended). Should I toss the damaged cases?

Thanks,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master
    Don't get any lube on the shoulder or neck, it's what makes the dimples. Once you shoot them they will be back to normal.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Good Information....

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are pushing the shoulder back you are also softening case life. I don't get near the solder when sizing 30-30 brass for my Marlin. If it was to get overly snug after 5 rounds or so I might push the shoulder back a few thousandths to ease chamfering but nothinng more.

And those are grea photos of classic lube dents. Too much lube where it doesn't need to be.

Boolit Master

I lube only the bodys of the 30-30, I mite touch a neck every now&then if the sizing gets a little tuff .

The dents don`t hurt a thing or at least the last 100 times I fired em they did`nt.

Make sure ya die is clean & if there`s a vent hole make certain it`s open .
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master

Cosmetic. Too much lube.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

good thing little girl didn't answer this thread.
    she has a thing about dented cases's,they give her the heebejeebies or sumthin.

Boolit Grand Master
    18 year old girls get the heebeejeebees from anything Run. I have one on hand and she is guilty as charged.

Those are definite lube dents but will iron out on next firing.

Banned

Some guns NEED FL like a lever gun, semi, etc. No power to chamber.
    But that is a lube dent. Won't hurt unless it bends the shoulder, increasing run out.
    You can still adjust the die for minimum sizing as long as rounds chamber easy. It hurts when deer hunting if you can't close the bolt.

Boolit Master

Too much lube is the correct answer but lube has accumulated in the shoulder area of the die.
    You need to clean it out. I use break/carburetor cleaner in a spray bottle but you could use any solvent and a cleaning patch.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

yea,,too much lube,,,it will shoot so don't toss

Boolit Master

You might try some of that Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Truly a terrific product. Since I bought a little can 25 years ago, I haven't used anything else since. It has the consistency of shoe polish. My original can is still over half full. Again, great stuff. Give it a try. Cheap, too !! enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I get a dimple every once in a while, but 3? Sized 3 times with a dimple each time? Clean that die good.

Boolit Buddy
    Load them and fire them. It will be ok. I have 308s that did that. Shot them and dimples pushed out

Too much lube. WAY too much lube. Try this, using RCBS lanolin lube: Drip a blob the size of 2 small primers into a large plastic ziplock baggie, drop in enough cases to 3/4 fill the bag and zip it closed. Knead it for 2-3 minutes to distribute the lube. Viola! If only doing a dozen or so cases, put a 1/2-primer-size blob of lube on the palm of your (clean) hand, and roll the cases between your palms. You should not be able to see any lube on the cases, but they should feel just a bit greasy to the touch. That's all the lube you need.

I suppose this would work with spray lubes, too. Waxes, I dunno. Nothing personal, but I have never understood why people use wax. Lanolin works for everything, and unlike waxes and petroleum products, it rinses off completely with just water, no detergent or solvents needed. In all my years I have never stuck a case in a die, (Scouts' Honor!), and I've done some doozies, like swaging the .223 case down to .315 OD all the way to the base, for making .22 Lovell brass, forming .30 Herrett, forming .219 Zipper from .30-30, etc.

If you're getting lube buildup in your die, you're using way too much.

As others have already said, shooting those cases will blow the dents back out. No worries.
    Last edited by uscra112; 12-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

Cleaning the die of lube will usually solve the problem. Just don't use too little lube and get them stuck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Too much lube. WAY too much lube. Try this, using RCBS lanolin lube: Drip a blob the size of 2 small primers into a large plastic ziplock baggie, drop in enough cases to 3/4 fill the bag and zip it closed. Knead it for 2-3 minutes to distribute the lube. Viola! If only doing a dozen or so cases, put a 1/2-primer-size blob of lube on the palm of your (clean) hand, and roll the cases between your palms. You should not be able to see any lube on the cases, but they should feel just a bit greasy to the touch. That's all the lube you need.

I suppose this would work with spray lubes, too. Waxes, I dunno. Nothing personal, but I have never understood why people use wax. Lanolin works for everything, and unlike waxes and petroleum products, it rinses off completely with just water, no detergent or solvents needed. In all my years I have never stuck a case in a die, (Scouts' Honor!), and I've done some doozies, like swaging the .223 case down to .315 OD all the way to the base, for making .22 Lovell brass, forming .30 Herrett, forming .219 Zipper from .30-30, etc.

If you're getting lube buildup in your die, you're using way too much.

As others have already said, shooting those cases will blow the dents back out. No worries.
    A Big +1 - the Ziplock bag trick works, and I also use a Thumler's tumbler. Put a bean-sized blob of Alemite CD-2 (Yeah, I've had it THAT long!) in the tumbler, smear it around, put a 1/2-3/4 load of cases in, and have at it.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

LongPoint
    When you clean your die, be sure to clean out the vent hole in the die or you will have the same trouble. Good Luck.

LongPoint

I've had the same issue, occasionally, and I always thought it was from too much lube and lube in the wrong place. This stands to reason since I 'tumble lube' my rifle brass with a few very quick blasts from lithium grease. Does this seem dumb?

I can say that it is way quicker than other methods I've tried and no stuck cases, easy sizing with lee hand press even with 30-06. Oddly, the shoulder only seems to wrinkle with 30-30 brass for me ???

Question: do lee dies have a vent hole? I don't recall seeing one on any of my die sets. Sounds important, from a hydraulics aspect

Banned

Vent holes do nothing but let out air.