RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Corbin CHP-1 in SD

Boolit Bub
    I was mistaken in the units when I said 10 ton of pressure. It is tons of force. At 1750 psi there is 8.4 tons of force pushing that slug. 32375 psi is correct.

Boolit Master

Thanks Racenviper for looking at my data. No wonder the hot lead wire squirts out so fast. To Rbt50, I might be interested in the 50BMG "H" dies. Keep me in mind. Right now with setting up the A-Square press, the new milling machine and all the needed tooling, I have spent a lot of money in the last few months, not to mention tax day and another quarterly payment in June. I will have enough cash soon without selling anything so maybe we can talk about those "H" dies.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Racenviper View Post
    I was mistaken in the units when I said 10 ton of pressure. It is tons of force. At 1750 psi there is 8.4 tons of force pushing that slug. 32375 psi is correct.
    Then it's possible a 6 ton press would work with smaller slugs?

Boolit Bub
    You are thinking of using this press?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a...ress-1666.html

It only has a vertical work area of 4 inches. The lead cores will have to be shorter then this length to drop into a die you will have to make. The bottle jack sits on a plate that must be remade to accept some sort of arbor designed to fit with close tolerances and must engage the new die before any force is put forth on the lead slug. You may be able to push it with a smaller diameter slug. Half inch in diameter and 2.5 to 3 inches long. I think your real problem is the alignment issues of the arbor or punch into your new die keeping a .002 clearance. You will also have to preheat your dies and slug to a higher temperature to reduce your working pressure, but I'm not sure about this as that is beyond me. Looks like a lot of work for little return.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Racenviper View Post
    You are thinking of using this press?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a...ress-1666.html

It only has a vertical work area of 4 inches. The lead cores will have to be shorter then this length to drop into a die you will have to make. The bottle jack sits on a plate that must be remade to accept some sort of arbor designed to fit with close tolerances and must engage the new die before any force is put forth on the lead slug. You may be able to push it with a smaller diameter slug. Half inch in diameter and 2.5 to 3 inches long. I think your real problem is the alignment issues of the arbor or punch into your new die keeping a .002 clearance. You will also have to preheat your dies and slug to a higher temperature to reduce your working pressure, but I'm not sure about this as that is beyond me. Looks like a lot of work for little return.
    That is the press. Not many people have the room in their house/garage for a 20 ton press. That 6 ton press is only 30" high, only cost $69 but only has 4" of stroke. I'm only looking for ways to make cores without spending countless hours casting.
    Last edited by 30yrcaster; 05-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 30yrcaster View Post
    That is the press. Not many people have the room in their house/garage for a 20 ton press. That 6 ton press is only 30" high, only cost $69 but only has 4" of stroke. I'm only looking for ways to make cores without spending countless hours casting.
    I would think it would be much slower considering the speed of a bottle jack.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post

It's bore is about 0.819 and it has a 0.780 thick lock ring that is screwed on to the bottom of the die after the die is screwed through the top plate of the press. ...The punch is about 6in long with a dia of 0.814.
    Bob
    Hello,

How tight do you feel the punch is going into the die with .005 difference between the two? Does it feel tight like a core swage die or is it looser? Does any lead bleed around the punch?

Thanks

Boolit Master

A very thin film of lead forms around the punch. Richard says this is done on purpose. He says the lead serves as a lubricant and prevents damage to the die. The punch can never contact the die and the punch self centers. The film of lead stays in the die and becomes part of the next billet. At least that's the way I understand it. It sure works well.

Bob

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50BMG dies & bullets 001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	86003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50BMG dies & bullets 002.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	86004

Up until today the only thing I have produced on the RCE HydraSwage from A-Square has been a lot of lead wire in various diameters but no bullets. Today that changed. From a member here on the forum I was able to obtain a 0.510 four die set: core swage, core seat, 12-S point form and lead tip. Using jackets from RCE, 1.770 in long I was able to produce a 750gr bullet with a small lead tip as pictured above. I also included a pic of the dies. Finally the A-Square press is producing bullets again. I didn't think this thread would be complete until it was producing bullets again.

Bob

Vendor Sponsor

Nicely done! I hope to be making 50s soon too!

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/