Thread: Corbin CHP-1 in SD

Vendor Sponsor

Looks good. Nice work!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

Richard Corbin emailed me today. He will be shipping the 1½in lead wire extrusion dies and billet molds on Monday. I'll try to post pics of the Hydraswage in action. Kind of busy now. Setting up a new Grizzly 1006 mill. Hard to get a 700lb mill into my basement, even in pieces, & then lifting it all up onto it's bench.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Any updates? Any pics?

Boolit Master

I got Richard's email Saturday. He said he had cleaned and tested my dies. He had the old tube type billet molds and the new split type. He said he would ship the split type unless he heard otherwise from me. I emailed that the split type was OK with me on Saturday. I assumed he would ship on Monday. I hope to have them by the end of the week. The weekend wasn't a total loss. Got the head of the mill into the basement, put it all together and hoisted it up onto the bench. It's up and running. Only have to do the lighting, put a lip around the bench, and erect splash guards. I'll try to get pics of the dies and molds in use. I believe I can make 6 different sizes of wire.

Bob

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 001.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	69550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 002.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	69552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 003.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	69553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 004.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	69554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 005.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	69555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 006.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	69556The lead wire extrusion dies were waiting on my back porch Fri night when I got home from a baseball game. Extruded some 0.250 wire yesterday. Will try to post some pics. The first two pics are the billet mold base and the base with the mold on it. It's just an Aluminum tube with about a 3/4 id & it just sets on the base. I filled the tube with a ladle & waited about 10 sec. When I went to lift the mold off the base, it slid right off the billet. Repeat as needed. It comes with 6 tubes. The billet is 3/4in dia & about 4 ½ in long. The billet is lubed & placed in the die from the bottom & the punch is then screwed in the ram. Raise the ram and the wire squirts out the top. I started with 1500psi & nothing seemed to be happening so I upped the pressure to 2000 psi. Wire extruded reeeeealy slow til I got about an inch of wire. Right about now I'm thinking this sucks when things really started to move. Took about 4 sec for the next 2½ feet of wire to squirt out. What was happening is the die was heating up. Every billet after that just squirted right out. I'll have to devise a reel up on the wall to handle the really Hot wire as it exits the die. If anyone wants details of how the dies are constructed I can provide them. I also posted a pic of the Grizzly 1006 mill I just finnished imstalling. It's first job is some external punches for Walnut Hill dies. Lighting isn't done yet so the pic isn't as light as I would like.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 001.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	69550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 002.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	69552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 003.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	69553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 004.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	69554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 005.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	69555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 006.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	69556 The billet is lubed & placed in the die from the bottom & the punch is then screwed in the ram. Raise the ram and the wire squirts out the top. I started with 1500psi & nothing seemed to be happening so I upped the pressure to 2000 psi. Wire extruded reeeeealy slow til I got about an inch of wire. Right about now I'm thinking this sucks when things really started to move. Took about 4 sec for the next 2½ feet of wire to squirt out. What was happening is the die was heating up. Every billet after that just squirted right out. I'll have to devise a reel up on the wall to handle the really Hot wire as it exits the die. If anyone wants details of how the dies are constructed I can provide them. I also posted a pic of the Grizzly 1006 mill I just finnished imstalling. It's first job is some external punches for Walnut Hill dies. Lighting isn't done yet so the pic isn't as light as I would like.

Bob
    Very interesting!!

Would appreciate seeing the dimensions on those dies!!

Surprised you could extrude the wire with only 2000 lbs of pressure. That would indicate you don't need a 10 ton press, at least with a smaller amount of lead.

What lube do you need to use?

Were those ingot molds polished inside or just pieces of tubing?

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    2000 psi is the pressure for the piston internal to the ram of his press. It has nothing to do with the lead core diameter he is extruding. To know the piston ram diameter and the tonnage that is made there.

I would bet heating the die to 300 degrees would lower the pressure.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Racenviper View Post
    2000 psi is the pressure for the piston internal to the ram of his press. It has nothing to do with the lead core diameter he is extruding. To know the piston ram diameter and the tonnage that is made there.

I would bet heating the die to 300 degrees would lower the pressure.
    Never saw the internals of the Hydro Press in person but the picture looks like the hydraulic cylinder connects directly to the ram of the press with no leverage added.
    http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=HSdetails
    The gauge on the hydraulic presses I've used show the pressure on the business end of the ram, how much pressure being put on the part I'm pressing. Never used a electric hydraulic press so don't know if a gauge on it would show something else. I guess someone that has a Hyrdo Press could tell us if that 2000 lbs is the pressure on the ram or something else.
    Last edited by 30yrcaster; 05-13-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Boolit Bub
    The ram piston according to the link you have posted is 3.5 inches. 2000 psi on the diameter ram is 19245 pounds of pressure supplied. The ram developed almost 10 tons of pressure. 2100 psi , which is Max pressure is 10.1 tons , this is a 10 ton press.

I have design presses up to and exceeding 2400 tons. This was more then 30 years ago. The pressure gauge would come from the ram. I do not see a load cell mounted on the press.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Racenviper View Post
    The ram piston according to the link you have posted is 3.5 inches. 2000 psi on the diameter ram is 19245 pounds of pressure supplied. The ram developed almost 10 tons of pressure. 2100 psi , which is Max pressure is 10.1 tons , this is a 10 ton press.

I have design presses up to and exceeding 2400 tons. This was more then 30 years ago. The pressure gauge would come from the ram. I do not see a load cell mounted on the press.
    Interesting!!
    I was hoping it didn't need that much pressure for a smaller slug. Harbor Freight has a 6 ton press for only $69 and is only 30" high. Thought that could be used for something maybe to create 1 foot sticks of wire.

Vendor Sponsor

I have seen lead extrusion like this where they heat up the billet of lead first to ease the process. Not sure if this is an option but I bet it would help.

Nice set up. Swage ON!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I have seen lead extrusion like this where they heat up the billet of lead first to ease the process. Not sure if this is an option but I bet it would help.

Nice set up. Swage ON!

BT
    I'm sure heating the slugs would help but what about the lube? How do you put swage lube on something 300 degrees? Won't it sizzle off before you can get it in the die?

Boolit Master

I used regular swaging lube that Richard Corbin sends out. There is no need to heat the die or billet although a hair drier applied to the die might speed up extrusion of the first billet. I may get one of those magnetic heaters (Kat's 1153) just for giggles. I really don't think external heat is necessary with my setup. The extrusion process itself generates adequate heat to keep things moving. The billet only takes about 5 sec to extrude with a 0.218 die button. One nice thing is the button that the lead extrudes through. They are really easy to make. The set came with 0.187, 0.250, 0.312, 0.360 &0.400 die buttons. I wanted some 0.218 wire so I made one easily. The buttons are 0.817 dia & 0.271 thick with the proper sized hole bored through it. One side is dished out a bit to ease the flow of the lead. I used a ½in ball mill but I will use a 1 in ball mill on the next one. It's nice to make any size wire you want, especially if you use copper tubing or other thick wall jackets. I'll take some pics of the die parts if anyone is interested.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I'll take some pics of the die parts if anyone is interested.Bob
    I'd love to see some pics along with die dimensions.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I'll try to take pics and measurements of all the die parts. I'm kind of tired now. Had a busy day today and I don't stand up to it as well as years ago. Just finished cleaning and oiling 210 pin gauges I got at a machinery auction. Also grubbed out some bushes to enlarge my garden which will get planted this week. Then there is fishing the white bass run on Saturday. I think I'll go back to work just to get some rest.

Bob

Boolit Master

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 011.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	70517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 007.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	70513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 008.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	70514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 010.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	70516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Extrusion die 009.jpg 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	70515

I have attached pics of the lead extrusion dies

The die body is 6 ¼in long and is threaded 1 ½-12. It's bore is about 0.819 and it has a 0.780 thick lock ring that is screwed on to the bottom of the die after the die is screwed through the top plate of the press. It can then distribute the load to a larger area than just the threads of the die. The punch is about 6in long with a dia of 0.814. It is threaded 5/8-18 on the bottom to fit a 1-12 x 5/8-18 adapter. This goes in the 1-12 x 1½-12 adapter already in my press. There is a die button retainer with a ½in hole threaded into the top of the die. This simply keeps the die button in the die. Die buttons are 0.817 dia and 0.275 thick, drilled with the apropriate size hole and dished on one side. In use, the die is adjusted down until it just touches the fully raised punch that has had a die button placed on top of it. Then back it off a half turn & lock it. Lower the punch and unscrew it from it's adapter. Lube a billet and place the appropriate die button on top of it. Hold the billet up in the die while you screw the punch into it's adapter. Fully raise the punch and 2-3ft of wire squirts out the top which I wind on a reel hanging above the press. Lower punch and unscrew it. Place another billet in the die, screw in the punch, and raise the punch again. The die button will stay in the top of the die til your'e done. Repeat as needed.

The billets are 4 in long and 0.748 dia from the tube mold Richard supplies.
    I think I have the pressure figured right: The hydraulic cylinder is 3.5in dia or 9.62sq in. The dia of the punch is 0.814in or 0.520sq in. 9.62÷0.520 = 18.5. The area of the cylinder is 18.5 times the area of the punch. 2000psi x 18.5 = 37,000psi. I have lowered the pressure to 1750psi so the psi at the punch head should be 32,375psi.
    Kind of a long post. Someone let me know if my psi calculations are wrong. I hope this is helpful to some of you. I am happy my A-Square press find is finally producing something. Now to get some 50BMG dies.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I have some H dies in 50 cal .510 dia if you are interested.

Boolit Buddy
    Midnight, thanks for the pics and dimensions!!

Boolit Master

I just figured out that my pressure calculations may be in error but I am not sure what is wrong. I think it may be the relationship between the cylinder area and the punch area. I really don't think I have 37,000psi on the head of the punch. Maybe Racenviper could weigh in on this. Glad the pics & dimensions are helpful.

Bob