Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Moderator Emeritus

I am thinking about ...but this morning it's -17º and I'm not talkin' wind chill. suppose to warm up to the 20s by early next week. maybe then.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I shot my targets yesterday as i was worried about i am having scope issues with my Rossi rifle and it is out , I completely blew my target with the XP-100 i could not get a good group. In the fall i shot a 1/2 inch 100 yd group i fired a couple shots on paper to start then every thing went to the right? I thought it may have been the load so i went back and shot some sierra bullets same results . It was breezy but nothing to do this i am going to take the pistol apart and check everything from bedding for dirt to loose scope mounts to see were i went wrong. One note i converted some W.C.C. 5.56mm brass for this shoot and with a 3.8 gr heavier bullet and a thicker case i cut the powder charge half a grain and it WAS shooting well ? (yes cases were neck reamed and annealed i found that a 7/32 reamer worked fine and with the neck expander removed cases went from 223/5.56 to .221 Fireball in a single step. I then used a band saw to rough trim case necks followed by RCBS trimmer. Then with case back in the sizing die minus neck expander i reamed the necks. )
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

i like to try but i dont have the die to do it hope to get in on the next one

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 308nut View Post
    i like to try but i dont have the die to do it hope to get in on the next one
    +1 I can't wait for the equipment to participate!!

Boolit Master

I'll definitely be in on the next one too. Once the dies are here I will be posting reports anyway.

Vendor Sponsor

I'll keep running these postal shoots for as long as everyone cares to particapate. I'm hard at work with the dies. Also got some new 6mm development from 22mag brass that will impress you guys.

Thanks

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Moderator Emeritus

First attempt with BT's .224 swages...NOT OFFICIAL

Weather forecast for today and next two days are good here in MN, I plan on shooting up a 100 rds or so....Today, 37º sunny and calm today.

I am shooting some samples I traded with BT. I loaded this first group of 13 rds from what was the heavier rejects from (a lot of 9s ojive) my weigh sorting them. 57.1 to 59.8 gr.

I am shooting them in a CZ527 223rem bolt gun. I will start with my tried and true load (that I use for 55gr FMJBT pulls), which is 25.2gr of WC846 (BL-C2 equilalent) for these "near" 55gr swaged 9s. OAL was suppose to be 2.260" But from these first few, I had some issues. It appears some were more formed to a point than others, giving my OAL variations of up to ±.030" which doesn't matter with these as I was just looking to get out and shoot and see if my POI was similar to the mil pulls I usually shoot. BUT I'm hoping this was only in the heavy rejects...and I am also hoping the ones that came into a consistant weight will be consistantly shaped.

All the Brass (LC 08) was previously fired a few times, all in this rifle and was neck sized only. length checked and all were .005" under Max length ±.001" and primers were Remington 7½ benchrest small rifle.

I get out to the range and I forgot sandbags
    So I made the decision to shoot at 50 yds instead of 100 yds since all I had to use as a rest was a folded spongy foam soft rifle case...and snow

AND, my chrono was not cooperating, I got one reading, everything other shot was either an "ERR" or nothing.

I test fired a few...not really thinking I needed 11 rds for a complete target...so the photo below is a VERY unofficial first try, not only was it shot at 50 yds, it is also incomplete. Group A has 5 shoots and measures 1.50" outside edge to outside edge. Group B has 3 shots and measures 1.20". Group C measures 1.10" from Bull center.

It sure was fun getting out, and having some success even with the issues I had.

BTW, I did make a few color copies, for my attempts at an official submission. Dang, they charge so much for those at the library.
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 01-07-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added primer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Vendor Sponsor

Good to hear shooters are braving the weather. Black and white targets are fine for official targets if need be.

You would think I would have more 22 cal bullets availble but all my time is spent making dies lately.

I expect I'll be making a lot more 6s ogive very soon and should have some much more consistant bullets for you soon.

Good shooting

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Moderator Emeritus

I got out to the range this morning, suppose to snow this afternoon, so I wanted to beat it. Things went much better. Chrono worked, I got an official target that I will submit as my entry. I could probably do better, but I know I can do lots worse. I'm pretty happy with it.
    click to enlarge

all the details are pretty well listed in this photo.

I should also show how I dealt with the large range of bullet weights. first I sorted them by weight by 0.1gr and put them in two egg cartons.

Then when I loaded them, I kept them in sequencial order, to hopefully avoid flyers.

well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 01-14-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vendor Sponsor

Cool! Nice center punch on the bulls eye shot!

I'm hoping to get out Thursday. Maybe shoot some 243 bullets.

I'll have to sit down and make some more consitant bullets for you guys. I like the egg crate sorting. Most all the bullets I collect lately is simply extras from setting up customer dies.

Thanks Jon.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Moderator Emeritus

BT,
    The Batch of 6s bullets you sent me are much more consistance than these 9s bullets. I chose to shoot the 9s bullets first, so if I had major accuracy problems with them, I would have the 6s bullets as backup and to theoretically look forward to better results. But I'm happy with the results I got with the 9s ...>2MOA shooting in the Minnesota winter, I'm happy with that. I'll save the 6s for another competition...plus the ones I got from another member.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vendor Sponsor

I updated the prize list in post #2 to include some of the latest offerings from our generious members.

I also thought it would be a good idea to make the deadline the first Monday of the deadline month to give us that one extra weekend. I made the change in post #1 to show the deadline date of Feb. 4, 2013. That gives us three more weekends guys!

I'll be sending out 25 bullets to each of my 22 cal customers with tomorrows shipment of the core swage dies should you wish to participate in this first postal shoot, I know they are not bullets "you" made but they are exatly what will come from your die so feel free to use these bullets as you wish, could get in two targets worth and some load development while your at it. 25 bullets isn't much but with 20+ cutomers I had only so much time to make extra bullets, thats 500+ bullets being sent out! I'm almost done with all the 22 cal dies, you guys will no doubt be able to compete in several future postal shoots if you desire.

Hope to hear reports from more shooters soon.

Good shooting and Swage On!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but where do we send our targets? Thanks!

Boolit Master

Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Shoot BT a pm. He'll send it to you.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Vendor Sponsor

You can send targets to me at any time. When I have received all targets I will send them off to the volunteer that offered his expertise to score them all for us.

Brian Thurner
    PO BOX 1783
    Hood River, OR.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get out and put some holes in one this weekend. This work thing is really getting in the way of me having fun...

Boolit Master

I have some prepped brass and enough Varget left so you will have a target from me! I was hoping to get a chance to post one.

I will be using my AR15, 20" barrel with iron sights and two stage trigger. I built this thing for highpower competition, hopefully I don't let it down!

Vendor Sponsor

Cool!
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    Ok I'm in. Will be interesting cause this is my first attempt at swaging.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Anyone out there going to use FMJ's on their target? I was getting ok results with my 55 gn HP's, but the twist I was using, 1:8, really likes the heavier rounds. Using only standard 22lr cases, I couldn't get the weight up with having a pretty good sized exposed lead tip. Skipping the core seating step, I was able to accomplish a 67.0 gn FMJ. The trick to these little buggers is the five pieces of #9 shot in the nose, with your lead core on top. This hardens up the nose and prevents blowouts.

I'm heading to the range this morning to see if I can get some smaller groups.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast