Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Vendor Sponsor

Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Fellow shooters and swagers!

I am organizing a friendly shooting compition refered to comonly as a postal shoot. Everyone is welcome to participate. Starting 12-01-2012 and deadline for this first shoot is 02-01-2013. Shooters are welcome to join in at any time between now and deadline date.

My goal is simply to promote the fun of our shooting sport as well as bring attention to the potental of the bullets we make and the accuracy these bullets are capible of.

You do not have to make bullets to particapate. Please read on in the rules and details provided below. To sign up for the shoot simply reply in this thread with a "count me in" or similar reply. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I am always up for suggestions too. I think I got this one set up pretty well and my current goal is to keep it simple and fun, we can get more challenging later if we want to and there is enough interest.

I have determined the target to be used and it is availble on line to print for free. Your best target will be sent in via mail to be scored and simple prizes will be offered to the winners. Any prizes of substantal value will be award via a drawing to all those that particapated with a target mailed in to be scored. This means everyone has the potential to win a prize no matter the score.

Here are the rules of the shoot.

In short this is a compition for any caliber bullet made from 22lr, 22mag or 17HMR cases for jackets using any set of dies.

RULES AND DETAILS

Distance = 100yrds

Caliber = your choice

Fire arm = anything goes, bolt action, varmint/target rigs, hunting riffle, pistol, semi auto, scoped, open sights, All will be clasified into same catigory.

Rest = Sure! The only thing we are grading is the target, feel free to shoot off hand if that is what you shoot best.

Bullet/projectile = has to be swaged using 22lr/22mag/17hmr cases for jackets. Jackets can be trimmed. Any weight or style bullet is good to go. No commercial jackets or bullets. Can be bullets you made or made by others. Can be made from any set of dies you wish. For those that do not swage bullets yet, simply post your interest here and we will figure out how to get you some bullets to load. Swagers are not allowed to profit from this fun shoot by attempting to sell bullets they made unless they have legal FFL-06 licence. Shooters are responsable for the safty of the loaded round. No liability should fall on the swager that made the projectiles.

Loaded ammo = Obviously has to be reloaded and not necessarily by the shooter. No factory ammo.

Eligibility = anyone can send in target. Encourage relitives, spose, friends, the more the better.

Target =

Target can be downloaded and printed out from this link

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Scoring Two 5 shot groups and one shot closest to center, three scorable targets total. All on same page in no paticular order. Center of red diamond will determine closest to center "one shot bulls eye." The two 5 shot groups can be anywhere on the page the shooter wishes but I recomend shooting for center of red diamond or center of grey circle. Shooter is free to shoot as many targets/pages as they wish till they are satisfied with one page to send in for scoring. NO SIGHTERS ALLOWED ON SCORABLE TARGET!

Lowest combined total inches for all three targets wins. Example..... one target has a 5 shot group of .500" the second target's 5 shot group is .400" and the third target with the one bullet hole is .200" from center. Add all three numbers together to get total score

.500 + .400 + .200 = final score of 1.100"

Awards I'll look for donations here from other various members and vendors of this sight. I think I can come up with a couple simple small flat rate boxs full of clean 22lr brass, maybe a bag of swaged or simply cast 22 cal cores, simple prizes for the winners.

Any real prizes of signifacant value will be awarded in a drawing with all participents elligable. I'll put one of my 40 cal improved CH one step dies up for a prize to be drawed for in this first shoot. In future shoots I'm sure I'll have no problem coming up with possible derim dies and even possibly my 11 cavity core molds or other various goodies.

Additional "potential" (depending on # of donated items) scoring/prizes awarded for

Smallest group = group size for one of either of the 5 shot groups

One shot bulls eye = shortest distance from bullet hole to center of target. One shot only.

Deadline Feburary 4th 2013 for this first shoot? With hopfully more to follow every two months or sooner depending on interest.

Start Date 12-01-2012 Shooters are ellegable to join in at any time up to the deadline so long as they get targets post marked by deadline date.

A nutural vollenteer as come forward to score the targets.

Send your official target entries to my address posted below. When I receive all entries I'll send them off to be offically scored.

Shooters are encouraged to post pics, before, durning, or after the compition of anything they wish from the bullets they used to the gun they shot them from to their potential scorable targets.

I encourage all shooters to list all available data on the targets in the lines privided as well as any additional info. This will help out fellow shooters in obtaining potetnial accurate load data and also help those that are just getting into the hobby of swaging bullets and show those that may doubt the potential accuracy of these bullets.

Obviously all standard reloading precautions apply here and any data posted as such to any load data carries the standard precaution, "load data posted was safe in shooter's gun but may not be safe in yours, work up all loads according to safe reloading practices and precautions!"

I welcome everyone to join in. Get out and have some fun shooting even if it is cold, wet, snowing or blowing!

Please post a simple reply below to show your intention to particapate.

Good Shooting and Swage On!

Brian Thurner
    PO BOX 1783
    Hood River, OR.

p.s. Here again is the "OFFICIAL" target and the link to down load it from. Print out as many as you like. Only one will be sent in to score.

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Last edited by BT Sniper; 01-24-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

I'll use this post as a progress up date thread.

Here is the list of interested shooters that have replied or posted interest. This is not ment to show any obligation on those listed, just a list of potental shooters and hopefully a bit of info on what bullet and gun they intend to shoot.

1st BTSniper BiMonthly Open Postal Shoot

THE LIST

Still open for more shooters!

please PM if you want me to add any "stats" behind your name, such as gun, caliber, bullet weight, ogive S#, die manufacturer, etc.

1. Bullshop -
    2. Lizard333 -
    3. newcastter -
    4. firefly1957 -
    5. SquirrelHollow- .243 if either I can make him some bullets in time or we find him some
    6. algunjunkie -
    7. tbird1960 - .243
    8. sdalcher - looking for 22 cal 50ish grain donation bullets (Did you get some bullets already?)
    9. Reload3006 -
    10. scarry-scarney-
    11. MUSTANG-
    12. MIBULLETS-
    13. BTSniper - Savage model 12 223rem shooting 56 grain 6s or 9s bulets formed in BTSniper dies
    14. clodhopper- sorry, I forgot you wanted to sit this one out. Hope you change your mind
    15. badluther-
    16. atom73-
    17. nhrifle-
    18. fredj338- as long as I can get his dies to him or some bullets
    19. plus1hdcp- "" ""
    20. jixxerbill-
    21. alfloyd- I'm signing you up hope you will join us
    22. JonB_in_Glencoe-
    23. FWest
    24. Utah shooter- 52 gr FB 7s ogive, Blackmon dies, PMC Brass, XBR 8208, cci 400 primers, RR Predator Pursuit or Savage bvss .223

THE PRIZES

Drawing

BTSniper improved CH40 cal one step die ($225 value) donated by myself to be auctioned off in a drawing to all that send in a honest effort target.

Awards

Still to be determined depending on number of prizes availble. Winner of each catigory will be given oportunity to choose prize from list of those availble posted below. Order of those will be as follows

1st place combined overall (total inches of both 5 shot groups and one shot bulls eye)
    1st place smallest 5 shot group (smallest of either group)
    1st place one shot bulls eye

And so on to 2nd and 3rd place in same order as listed above if enough prizes are availble. If there are more prizes then entries prizes wil lcarry over to next months postal shoot.

Donated prizes

- Small Flat Rate Box (SFRB) of processed ready to load 223rem brass I'll offer
    - SFRB of boiled citric acid washed 22lr brass I'll offer
    - SFRB of soft lead donated by clodhopper Thank You!
    - SFRB of 17HMR brass donated by Utah-Shooter Thank You
    - 100 of ANY caliber cast boolits donated by Jerry from Carolina Cast Bullets, Thank You!
    - 5 stick lot of TAC#1 bullet lube stick donated by Randyrat, Thank You!
    - $25 donation from scarry scarney, Thank you!
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 01-14-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Friendly compition shoot is a go! Everyone welcome! Prizes!

I'm game! Sign me up. When is the deadline to have these sent in by?
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Count me in!!

Vendor Sponsor

Feb 1st for this first shoot. If need be we can extend deadline a bit. Nothing in stone yet but getting close. If all goes well the second shoot could have a deadline around April 1st. (or 2nd just because)

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 12-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I will be working on it I have to set up a lighter 50 gr bullet should be no problem. I am going to try with my Rossi rifle if i can get results can i have two targets sent in one rifle one pistol?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy

Alright. So....
    Anybody want to trade some bullets for hulls and lead?
    I don't have any equipment, but would like to participate.

To shoot, I would have to use handloaded .22 WMR or my 6mm wildcat. That means 30-45 gr .224" bullets (any shape); or .243" bullets over 60 grains.
    For the .224s, I can offer .22 LR or .22 Short hulls. (LR hulls are primarily Federal - multiple lots. Short hulls are Aguila and CCI - single lot, each.)
    For the .243s, I can offer .22 LR or .22 WMR hulls. (WMR hulls are primarily a single lot of ArmsCor, and smaller amounts of CCI and Winchester - all from me, but multiple lots.)
    In addition, I can add some pure lead, isotope core alloy, or linotype.
    Proud winner of February 2012's "Ugliest Gun" contest.

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds completly reasonable. All though reloading 22WMR doesn't sound like much fun. I may be able to supply some of my latest 6mm prototype bullets. It will take me a little while to put them together, not like I don't have enough else to do. If anyone else offers up some 6mms by all means go for it!

Send me a PM

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I'm going to stand back for a bit, hoping for a package from RECCO to arrive soon.
    Go get em guys.
    I will put up a small flat rate box of soft lead in fish shape ingots as a prize, and pay postage.
    Edited to: will pay postage in U.S.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 12-03-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

If anyone needs 55 grain projectiles let me know. They are a flat base HP with a 6S ogive. I can send you either cannalured or without.

The more people that sign up the better.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man

Count me in. Now to raid the stash.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    I'm going to stand back for a bit, hoping for a package from RECCO to arrive soon.
    Go get em guys.
    I will put up a small flat rate box of soft lead in fish shape ingots as a prize, and pay postage.

Thanks for the donation. hope to see you in future shoots. It will take me a little while to get the offical list of donated prizes together but I'll get it done as soon as I can.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Count me in also.

Boolit Bub

I would like to try this. I do not currently swage, can anyone help me out with some .224 dia somewhere in the 55gr realm? I'll be happy to trade brass for these.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! I'm sure somone will get you all set up. If not I'll have some extras to offer.

Welcome to the fun!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

I think somone mentioned this but I think found a good program to use for judging our targets. I'll be ording it soon and see what it is capible of. Check it out.

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/index.html

It is cold wet and blowing here and I am head deep in orders but I cant wait get out and put some bullets into a target
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I think somone mentioned this but I think found a good program to use for judging our targets. I'll be ording it soon and see what it is capible of. Check it out.

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/index.html
    It's as accurate as the person that takes the photo, or scans the target; including any distortion caused by the chosen imaging method (low quality, tilted image, skewed image, lens distortion, scanner bleed, etc.). And, as accurate as the person locating/placing/verifying the "holes" on the image, and entering the appropriate data (bullet diameter, number of holes, etc).
    Proud winner of February 2012's "Ugliest Gun" contest.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelHollow View Post
    It's as accurate as the person that takes the photo, or scans the target; including any distortion caused by the chosen imaging method (low quality, tilted image, skewed image, lens distortion, scanner bleed, etc.). And, as accurate as the person locating/placing/verifying the "holes" on the image, and entering the appropriate data (bullet diameter, number of holes, etc).

I thought the exact same thing when I watched the short video they had. Do you, or anyone else have first hand experience?

I would certainly check any of the programs figures against my own measured with a caliper.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Bub

I have been helped with some starters! Really looking forward to doing this.

Boolit Grand Master

I will be licking my pencil and flipping my notepad.
    I am very interested to see what can be done with these swaged bullets.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-08-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast