RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best press and dies to load .50 BMG?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    Honestly you won't have trouble resizing anything. Like I said, I use only the Lee sizing lube when resizing 50 bmg and believe it or not it's no worse than 30/06 Garand brass.

Do not be afraid...come to the red side.....we have cookies
    I have eight Lee presses, all mounted and frequently used, I just wanted to see if the horror stories about shattering the Classic cast with BMG brass was mostly due to "headspace and timing" issues or if the press really was that marginal for the job. Looks like the usual answer is "use your brain and it will work fine", which is what I was kind of expecting, but I really appreciate the feedback from real-world experience and not a bunch of yahoos with who-knows-what ability writing reviews on product pages.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Re: my answer that was virtually ignores. I "thought" gearngasher asked for the BEST press, not the least expensive.
    Unless the press window is big enough to easily handle the case and bullet, before seating, and open enough that the loaded round can be EASILY removed, it is NOT the BEST press.
    If you're loading the big boys and, considering the cost of the rifles and components, why scrimp on the press?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    Modified Aneat's UP North press. I'm convinced you could put a 3rd hole between "reloading" and "swaging" mode that would be optimised for sizing BMG brass. You may even be able to swage your own .50 BMG bullets!
    Yeah, the Lee will do it but the UP North was made for it.
    Walnut Hill or Corbin would fit the bill nicely too. With any of the three presses, a fellow could process all the machine gun fired stuff and then some. I wonder what the late Skip Talbot used?

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I have eight Lee presses, all mounted and frequently used, I just wanted to see if the horror stories about shattering the Classic cast with BMG brass was mostly due to "headspace and timing" issues or if the press really was that marginal for the job. Looks like the usual answer is "use your brain and it will work fine", which is what I was kind of expecting, but I really appreciate the feedback from real-world experience and not a bunch of yahoos with who-knows-what ability writing reviews on product pages.
    Gear
    you'll bend the handle before you shatter the press
    trust me i know

Gear
    Have loaded over 600 rds and no problems like you said use your head!

Boolit Master
    Dillon makes a 50 BMG press, or rather sells one. I believe P&W makes it for them?

nhrifle, you are correct that the surplus is hardest to size the first time. It did not occur to me to try a longer a handle, the simple solutions usually escape me. I have thought about how using the Lee for the big 50 is a testament to its strength. Probably the best single stage on the market for the money. I have been disappointed with certain Lee products (mostly molds) but their classic cast single stage and classic cast turret are the best in their class. The primer disposal through the ram is a great feature most others lack.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Re: my answer that was virtually ignores. I "thought" gearngasher asked for the BEST press, not the least expensive.
    Unless the press window is big enough to easily handle the case and bullet, before seating, and open enough that the loaded round can be EASILY removed, it is NOT the BEST press.
    If you're loading the big boys and, considering the cost of the rifles and components, why scrimp on the press?
    So you have one? How do you like it, and tell me what it does that makes it worth more than ten times what the Lee costs, and five times what the RCBS costs?

Gear

You already own an ammo master? guess I don't get the question?

Try this https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90859.html for $187.99 when back in stock plus shipping which will be about $16.
    Joe

On Heaven's Range

The RCBS press primes right on the press itself, if you have the correct tooling for the job. My RCBS .50BMG setup works extremely well, and if you already have the press it would seem strange to set up a complete new outfit. Go with the RCBS, is my advice. The Lee-bots can brag all they like.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

Well, in the OP I mentioned the cost analysis, but what I needed was the benefit analysis. I like a lot of the stuff Lee makes, and much of it is very effective. One can drive a few sixteen-penney nails with a Chinese-made, cast iron hammer as well as with an Estwing framing hammer, but a tack hammer ain't going to cut it.

Gear

Well, in the OP I mentioned the cost analysis, but what I needed was the benefit analysis. I like a lot of the stuff Lee makes, and much of it is very effective. One can drive a few sixteen-penney nails with a Chinese-made, cast iron hammer as well as with an Estwing framing hammer, but a tack hammer ain't going to cut it.

Gear
    Make sure you have eye protection on using the chinese hitting stick.
    (yeah yeah, i have my share of vachinna junk too, and besides they
    probably made the 16 penny spikes ta' boot..but still I'd rather have the Estwing..
    ..made to last a life time.
    Like the chinese hammer Lee has been doing some of the best engineering
    in the industry, it's just the implementation where it gets lost sometimes
    trying to meet their perceived market niche and price point.
    (Nobody can hammer spikes anymore since the advent of pneumatic nailers
    so the analogy is moot anyway.)

I started loading for my 50 BMG 3 years ago when a friend said that he was not using his RCBS 50 BMG loader and I could use it as long as I wanted to. Well 2 weeks ago he decided that he wanted to start loading for his Barrett. I offered to purchase the RCBS loader from him but no go on that so I started pricing loaders. The RCBS was around $570 and I couldn't find any used ones and a friend pointed me to a link for the Lee 50 BMG loader for $216 shipped. I didn't think I would like the Lee loader as I thought it was made from Aluminum but when I arrived I discovered it's all cast Iron. I thought about offering Dwayne (the guy I got the RCBS loader from) the new Lee loader in exchange but decided that I liked it and it is also able to convert to standard size dies so I can just use it for sizing 50 BMG API boolits with the Lee sizer and not stress my Lyman turrett press. I've got to give Lee credit. I originally thought their presses were all **** but I'm pleased with this one.
    Life member NRA since 1983

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...113199d940.png

"I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I am not sure what the purpose of this thread was. The benefit analysis is you already own the press and it will take very little to put it into service.
    You need a bushing for the top thread. Anyone can make one of these and I am sure that RCBS and many other companies make that bushing. So how much does the bushing cost?
    To prime it all you need is a .50 BMG ram primer which apparently you do not have and you will have to buy anyway. The Lee ram prime tools is $16 at Graf's.

Lee 50 BMG dies are about $71 at Grafs with a C&R.

Gear
    Last edited by EDG; 01-13-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    EDG

I load for my Windrunner using the Lee 50BMG package. The ram prime can be accurately set for depth/crush using two shaft collars and feeler gauges. I advise adding an extra set screw to each collar if they only have one when purchased.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Mold
    Have to give another prop for the Lee 50BMG kit. Great value. I couldn't justify spending more for a dedicated press. My only negative is the handle is way to flimsy being hollow and I bent two before my wife's cousin machined me a suitable replacement from solid stock

Gear, where are you at on the 50BMG press project?? Long story short, I also have an Ammomaster set up on my bench..IF (not likely) I were going to reload this round, think I would have someone make me a 1 1/4x12 bushing for it so I could use the Lee stuff...much less expensive..looks like you could get setup for about 150 bucks (not including bushing) for about everything you'd need..I'm sure the Lee 50 BMG "kit" works fine, (275.00 ish) but the Ammomaster has a much larger "window". My Ammomaster measures right at 7 1/2in from top of base to bottom of die plate, (have to subtract shellholder height for usable room) I don't know what the Lee press measures...

CH4d makes a adapter if you decide to go that route.

Banned

Project is currently sidelined, but you all have given me the info I needed. Looks like Lee kit is going to be the best answer, by the time I pieced together the bushing, dies, ram shellholder adapter, priming tools, etc. the shipping and time would eat up a lot of the advantage of a little more press clearance. I'm not using surplus machine gun brass and not loading a high volume, so the Lee kit route makes the most sense.

Gear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast