RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best press and dies to load .50 BMG?

Banned

Best press and dies to load .50 BMG?

I have an RCBS Ammomaster with the 1-1/2" by 12 TPI hole, but no other equipment yet.

Lee dies get rave reviews and many claim they're getting less runout than with the other brands, but the Lees only fit the smaller 1-1/4" by 12 TPI Lee presses like the Classic Cast.

The Lee .50 BMG kit based on the Classic Cast is almost a hundred bucks less than a two-die RCBS or Hornady die set, and the Lee kit includes a priming setup and shellholder with it too.

Since I already have the press, it makes sense to buy the RCBS or Hornady dies, shellholder, priming setup, etc., but totaled up I could buy two complete Lee kits for the same money.

The Lee press is a tad too short to easily position a bullet for seating, and I worry a bit if it's up to the task.

What are you guys using, and am I better off spending the bucks to put the AmmoMaster to work?

Gear

Boolit Master
    Possibly the Dillon BFG press, made specifically for .50BMG.
    You could see if Lee will make you a Lee Classic Loader for it.
    Have fun geargnasher...

Banned

I could buy a lot of loaded ammo for $2500!

Gear

Boolit Master

500 to 600 rounds of surplus...at todays prices !
    Or ~400 rounds of Hornady A-max ammo.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Buddy
    the lee press works just fine
    i load around 1,000 rounds (ball & match ammo) with mine before i bought my hollywood senior (I hate constantly resetting my dies & i'm a huge fan of turret presses)
    you could always buy the ch4d adapter to fit the lee dies in your ammomaster press
    what are you loading for (gun)?

I have a friend that swear's by his LEE 50 cal kit.

I bought the Lee 50 cal kit because like geargnasher has figured out it is an unbeatable value. I have been using it for several years and it does the job but it is at its limit both dimensionally and leverage wise. I just can't justify the expense of other brands of dies and a press truly sized for the 50 BMG, like this one:
    http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&vie...ct&alias=RC000

Gear I checked the bushing that came with my Ammomaster and it appears to me to be 1 1/4 x 14tpi. inside dia. The threads are definitly different from the outside threads. I have it set up as a progressive right now, but have all the pieces to set it back up to SS. Not much difference between it and the "regular" Ammomaster Auto, the compound leverage "block" is a bit longer and beefier, and the uprights are a bit longer and it has a longer handle. That's about all the difference that I can see... pretty sturdy press.

Boolit Master

A friend , who is a machniest built his own from planes avalible somewhere on this sight ? , he had $260 in material and it is simular to the Corbin press . he later installed a air / hydraulic bottle jack to operate the press ram .

Boolit Master

Ive been using the Lee Classic Cast press for all my loading for quite awhile and love it. I bought their 50 BMG tooling after I got my Bohica Arms upper. I don't shoot it much due to cost but about a month ago finally had enough brass to justify loading. The press has plenty of clearance when seating bullets, you just have to position the bullet on the case mouth and kinda angle it into the press, bullet into the die then case into shell holder. Their priming system works slick. Lee's case sizing lube works better than anything else I've tried, but make sure to swab a little inside the case neck with a qtip.

One thing I did learn is that primer pockets MUST be uniformed or primers won't seat fully without crushing them. Being a bit of a cheapskate, I discovered a 4 flute 5/16" endmill will both remove the primer crimp and cut the pockets to depth. I just chuck it into a drill and cut with light pressure until the pocket is deep enough for my primers. I measure that with calipers.

In answer to your question, you won't regret the Lee equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    ive got have a bohica
    2 actually a MKII and a MKIII
    small world

Boolit Master

Mine is a MKIV 50 BMG, standard chamber, 24" barrel length. Its an awesome piece of hardware for sure! Problem is the company went out of business so spare parts are hard to come by. That being said, it is probably the most fun to shoot of my collection. Theres just something about burning 240 grains of powder per trigger pull.
    Last edited by nhrifle; 12-02-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Gear,

A bushing for the Ammomaster to bring it down to fit the Lee dies?

How will the Ammomaster prime? I'm really curious as I have one and I have the 50 BMG/single hole conversion. Haven't ever used it though.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

Thanks for the tips, guys. I knew about the CH4D adapter bushing, it's an option.

I'm not sure how the Ammomaster will prime, I assume with some sort of ram-prime kit like for the regular primers, but I haven't priced or checked on availability yet. Probably not going to work with my Lee hand press...

I keep hearing about different primer pocket depths, so the tip on the mill bit is stored for future use if necessary.

If the Lee can take it, I think that's the way I'll go. Not trying to size machine gun brass while decapping crimped primers at the same time and using lousy lube will probably keep the press intact. I have a feel for mechanical limitations, lots of experience NOT twisting off frozen bolts gained from twisting off more than a few helps my assessment of when to "whoa" and regroup.

This is for a Barrett bolt action.

Gear

Boolit Master

Honestly you won't have trouble resizing anything. Like I said, I use only the Lee sizing lube when resizing 50 bmg and believe it or not it's no worse than 30/06 Garand brass.

Do not be afraid...come to the red side.....we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    Do not be afraid...come to the red side.....we have cookies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    A friend , who is a machniest built his own from planes avalible somewhere on this sight ? , he had $260 in material and it is simular to the Corbin press . he later installed a air / hydraulic bottle jack to operate the press ram .
    Modified Aneat's UP North press. I'm convinced you could put a 3rd hole between "reloading" and "swaging" mode that would be optimised for sizing BMG brass. You may even be able to swage your own .50 BMG bullets!
    Yeah, the Lee will do it but the UP North was made for it.

The Lee will do it for 200 bucks(including dies, ram prime, shell holder/adapter).

There is nothing else that compares for value. Or, someone could buy the UP north whatever press for $600, then get some dies, and a priming system, etc.

Yeah, that is a lot of powder one could buy with the savings(And one will need it at 240 grains a shot).

nhrifle, you must have considerably more upper body strength than I do (which ain't much), sizing surplus brass makes me have to stand up and use some weight on the handle, 30'06 and 308 size much easier and sitting down. I really notice it if I don't use enough lube too. What really has impressed me is the physical effort that goes into trimming, chamfering, outside neck turning, and primer pocked uniforming. After 50 cases your hands and arms are tired and you have a big pile of brass shavings. Chucking these tools in a cordless drill if possible makes a huge difference. Hey gear, I love my Barret 99 but it has a big appetite for lead and powder, kind of like owning a St. Bernard. Glad I didn't buy the semiauto.

Boolit Master

Bloodyknife, what I found is that handle length and position is critical as well as getting that case as slippery as possible. Your Barrett should have a nice tight chamber so the brass shouldn't expand too much upon firing. With that surplus brass it might be easier to take it in small bites when resizing. The press get most leverage at the top of its stroke so screw out the die enough so only the first third or so is sized. Back out the handle to relieve tension, screw the die down a bit more, and continue until the case is sized.

I'm not a small guy but I don't think I have extraordinary physical powers. I just let leverage do the work for me. Also, I have been doing my sizing with my press bolted to a Black & Decker Workmate and it hasn't suffered any damage.

Don't be afraid to make yourself a longer handle either! Make the equipment work for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast