WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Chronographs??

Banned

Chronographs??

What are you guys using? I'm tired of guessing on how fast my loads are.

I had an Oehler 33 then moved to a 35P but now i use an old PACT Model 1 and like it.It had been reliable in most sunlight conditions for me.Its about a $130 machine and does SD's-ES's and is heads and tails above the Chrony's.No printer but i haven't found a need for one.

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 11-30-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    Oehler 35P. It's the only chronograph(s) I own. Large skyscreen area (as do some others) I've never felt nervous about shooting it, it's just too easy to setup correctly to avoid it. I did send my printer back to Oehler 3 to 4 years ago for refurbishment; the paper rollers (rubber) had finally dryed out enough that they wouldn't feed the paper correctly. Oehler fixed me up and it cost me $60.00. Not bad customer service on a chronograph that was 20+ years old, and the only "issue" I've ever had. I'm sold on Oehler.
    Bob

Boolit Master

Re: Chronographs??

My chrony was gifted to me in a pay-it-forward offer on another forum. It had been shot and had a broken wire but I ordered the replacement parts and the thing works great.

Smart advice is to use wooden dowels instead of the metal ones provided. This way, shooting the dowels doesn't damage the chrony.

Also, I very much want a printer so I don't have to hand record data while at the range. Maybe I'll see about making that an Xmas gift to self this year.

Finally, you'll probably need a decent tripod too. Figure it in the budget.

A lot of good Chrono info can be found at this site:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=145

Here I use a COMP ELECT PROCHRONO DIGITAL CE3800, which can be bought at Grafs for $82 (C&R). Combined with the optional Digital Interface cable and software CE3810 $36 (C&R), allows a remote laptop to control and record anything you might need. Even without the optional cable or software, the ProChrono is loaded with features to do pretty much whatever you need, like memory for 10 strings of 100 shots each, review and individual shot/string deletion ability, plus SD/ES info. It is one of the few low cost units that just works out of the box, without needing to do anything special.

Banned

I'm just using a basic Chrony, forget what it's called, has the read out box on a cord. I use the cord to make sure I set it the same distance away each time.

Boolit Master

I have an old Pact Model 1 that I have had for several years. I have been having trouble with it for some time now. It was an on again, off again thing. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not.It was so frustrating that my wife said just put what kind you want on your Christmas list and I'll get our two kids to go in on it and we'll get you a new one. I made one more call to Pact to see what they recommend. They told me something that somehow I missed when I read the set up instructions. Two things they told me so far has eliminated the non readings I have been getting. Number one: don't lay the two start/stop cables together even though they are shielded cables. So I route them on the ground well away from each other. Two: set the chrony brain that has the electronics in it well away from the muzzle blast at the shooting bench. Since I have been doing that the unit has functioned flawlessly. I thought I'd post this experience in case someone out there has been having the same problems I had been having.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

RCBS was selling one but I don't find it on their website anymore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I'm just using a basic Chrony, forget what it's called, has the read out box on a cord. I use the cord to make sure I set it the same distance away each time.
    I'm betting mine is the same model, love it, works well and was about $100 give or take.

Boolit Grand Master

+ another for the Oehler M35P, if you want top of the line and excellent quality.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Just bought a basic Chrony F1 and haven't had time to try it out yet.
    What I like about it is, it folds up to a compact size and I can upgrade it with a printer and remote read-out screen.
    ukrifleman.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "It had been shot and had a broken wire"

Whew, what a relief! A chronograph thread without at least one boolit riddled corpse? @(;^]#>:::

Prowd owner of a Chrony that I traded fishing lures for with another member.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I have a chrony. They work great. I set it up between the screens of an Pact and got readings within 1 to 2 fps of the pact when we adjusted the pact screens to the exact distance on the rail they were mounted on. I have also used two chronies in tandem and gotten readings that are within 3-4 fps of each other.
    I will use ten or so .22 rimfire target (Winchester T22) to ensure the thing is calibrated and working.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I have an old Pact Model 1 that I have had for several years. I have been having trouble with it for some time now. It was an on again, off again thing. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not.It was so frustrating that my wife said just put what kind you want on your Christmas list and I'll get our two kids to go in on it and we'll get you a new one. I made one more call to Pact to see what they recommend. They told me something that somehow I missed when I read the set up instructions. Two things they told me so far has eliminated the non readings I have been getting. Number one: don't lay the two start/stop cables together even though they are shielded cables. So I route them on the ground well away from each other. Two: set the chrony brain that has the electronics in it well away from the muzzle blast at the shooting bench. Since I have been doing that the unit has functioned flawlessly. I thought I'd post this experience in case someone out there has been having the same problems I had been having.
    Wholly krap, I'm glad you posted this. I have a fairly new Pact 1. The first day out, I unknowningly shot one of the red sensors. The boolit skimmed right through, I had no clue why I didn't get anymore readings that day. I packed it up and tried again about 2 weeks later and got nothing...then I seen the 6.5mm hole and a loose peice of glass on the inside. I when to Pact's website and ordered a new red sensor and a couple extra plastic sky screen pieces.

I've had it out several times since and I had the same problem as you mention (on again off again) when shooting rifles. But when I'd use it with pistols, I'd have no problems. I kind of desided (til right now) that I'd quit using it with rifle.
    So thanks for posting this smoked turkey. thanks for the hints...when I shoot rifle, I've had the display box right next to the muzzle (well less than 12" to the side), as that's the handiest spot. I will be changing that, and I'll watch the cord thing too.
    Thanks again,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001