Thread: early present to myself care of Elmer Keith

early present to myself care of Elmer Keith

I came across this on an Australian book site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HelliWasThereSmall.jpg 
Views:	810 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	54192

It looks excellent so far having just flicked through it. He seemed to have been one tough SoB with a lot of living crammed into his life.

Looking forward to delving into it.
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 11-20-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    yes very good book i have it in my collection of books. i reread it from time to time. another good book is the one by skeeter skelton. good friends good guns good whiskey.

Boolit Master

Excellent book. You will enjoy it.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

Another good one, Unrepentant Sinner by Charles Askins. All of the above belong in a well rounded library.

Folks sure were tough then - I have got to the part, page 22 where Elmer gets his father to re-fracture his fingers to set them straight as he states no doctor would attempt it!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Another one from an old timer.

Yours Truly Harvey Donaldson.

While reading Harvey's writings I always feel like he is just across the campfire from me.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    I was impressed by Elmer's constitution when I read about the time he pulled his hip out of the socket. He crawlled up on a table while the doctor hooked a block a tackle to his leg and pulled the hip back into place.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

That is a good book i read it three times over 10 years and i bet i loaned it to a dozen people.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    How about him getting smacked in the face by a horse's front hoof and flattening his nose out. 20 miles into town during winter on horseback so he sticks a pencil up nose and shoves the bones back into place with the pencil. No doctor, just sheer toughness. It's no wonder Elmer always had some whiskey nearby.

Boolit Master

I am a great Elmer Keith fan.
    I have read all his books.
    Hell, I was there is the best....enjoy....dale

Boolit Master
    Now you guys have me wanting to read it. I love the stories about the old west and the intestinal fortitude they always displayed. Keep us posted as you read esp. when you get to the end. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Bub
    If you like the book,you would have loved the old gentleman. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 1979. The Idaho Sharpshooter & I went up to Salmon on my vacation from St.Louis. Quite the character. I should have gotten a copy of the book you have,but settled for an autographed copy of "SixGuns". I`ve never seen a gun collection like the stuff he showed us that morning. The Cabelas in Boise has a small museum of his guns, and a life size diorama of his trophy room & writing desk. The mannequin moves & talks to you. Pretty cool, worth a trip to Boise. W

Boolit Master

Looks great! I will have to find a copy.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Have just added it to my list of titles for purchase.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

Wonderful book as are the others mentioned.
    Elmer started my love of the six gun and I read everything he wrote. Due to Elmer I was shooting my .357 back in 53 to 100 yards all the time and in 56 with my first .44 I shot beyond 400 yards for fun.
    He was a tough old bird for sure and he wrote from experience. There will never be another like him, some try by wearing his style hat. That kind of angers me, nobody can fill his shoes.
    I hope he sits at God's side with a six gun.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the best ever written. Have to review cover to cover every couple of years.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    We met Elmer for the first time in 1979 at the NRA convention in San Antonio. We were early and waiting for the exhibits to open when a friend of mine nudged me and says "Here comes Elmer". My lovely wife steps back around a corner, gets a hairbrush from her purse and tidys up her hair(as if she needed to, you would have thought she was going to meet Tom Sellick or Sam Elliott)and we introduce ourselves and had a short but freindly talk with the old master.

Boolit Master

Fantastic book! I love the stories. Re-read it three times now. Reading what he went through with the fire didn't suprise me. I've found many great people (or at least patient, mature people) overcame tremendous pain and adversity which lasted months to years.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    That is one of my favorite books i have ever read, i hope to own a copy someday, they sure aren't cheap on Amazon!
    He was truely a tough old bird, and had seen it all. He grew up not far from where i live, near Helena, Mt. Even beyond his experementation with sixguns that gave us everything we base our sport on today, he was a true cowboy back in his time, as he had to be at that time in our states history. There won't ever be another like him!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    For sure, Elmer was larger than life. Great read, you will enjoy it.