Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119120121122123124125126127128129130 LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Thats great man!! Happy to be a small part in that!!

CW
    Welcome to CB CasterOfBullets
    You can powdercoat in any environment, some are a little more challenging than others. I live on the West Coast near (ish) the ocean and we get a lot of rain with humidity frequently in the 90% area.
    the trick is to
    first and foremost -- keep your powder/bowl/boolits dry --I store my PC in doubled-up zipper bags or the heavy plastic bags that come in the factory boxes - burp out all the air twisted them closed tightly the use the removable zip ties
    You can warm your boolits (no hotter than 150°)
    Not all PC tumbles well and some will need black bb's or poly pellets to build static.

Slide, I used your method of shaking boolits in a media tumbler tonight. 15 min in Tight group bottle, some orange bb's this is beforebaking

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks like you got good coverage. Any photos of the finished product? Try it without the bb's, I don't think you'll need them.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I thought I would post a few photos to show how much I shake the bullets when getting rid of excess powder. From left to right, this is a photo of bullets right out of the bottle. Next photo is what they look like after shaking. Next photo is the bullets placed in pan and ready to go into oven. I believe there is 157. They were stood up using gloves and an old ammo box that the lid came off of. I drilled it out(popper's idea).It took 4 minutes and 45 seconds. I could have stood up 200 in five minutes easy. These bullets were tumbled using the vtb method that myself and AndyC have been working on. I let them go for twenty minutes. The humidity today where I am is around 30%. The powder coat companies recommend between 45% to 60%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0637.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	278026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	278028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0639.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	278029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	278030
    Last edited by slide; 02-19-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I thought I would post a few photos to show how much I shake the bullets when getting rid of excess powder. From left to right, this is a photo of bullets right out of the bottle. Next photo is what they look like after shaking. Next photo is the bullets placed in pan and ready to go into oven. I believe there is 157. They were stood up using gloves and an old ammo box that the lid came off of. I drilled it out(popper's idea).It took 4 minutes and 45 seconds. I could have stood up 200 in five minutes easy. These bullets were tumbled using the vtb method that myself and AndyC have been working on. I let them go for twenty minutes. The humidity today where I am is around 30%. The powder coat companies recommend between 45% to 60%.

Name:	IMG_0637.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	278026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	278028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0639.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	278029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	278030
    Outstanding

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I'm just starting to Powder Coat. I like Black and I don't see much regarding these colors. I'm specifically looking at Powder by the Pound "RAL Signal Black". I called the company and asked the lady what powders tend to work best for powder coating bullets. She told me that most bullet coaters use glossy "RAL" model powders for best success. I bought two lbs 9004 Signal Black. Any comments?

Glossy seems to work best. Anything with "super durable" in the title is plus. There is a sticky showing what powders people have used that either worked or didn't. I recommend checking that one out.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks prickett

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ll have to try putting them in trays and flipping them! Just did another tumble coat today using smokes purple, blue, and black mixed…

Smokes clear PC works the best for me. Goes on the easiest and smoothest. I can use it year around. It’s not humidity sensitive for me.

Boolit Mold
    Anyone have any results from handgun bullets with a good HP, coated, then shot and recovered? I wondering how is expansion after powder coating?

thanks,

Boolit Master
    I have a .457 Texan and am launching 300 grain NOE at around 816 fps. Casted 40-1 and coated x2 with HT Click image for larger version. 

Name:	383C1F94-6A65-4C30-AA3D-67B2BA8FA336.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	307459 my experience with Pc is exactly the same
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Mold
    Looks pretty good, thanks

I mix a liquid solution with Acetone and black powder coat. Slosh a hand full of bullets in the solution and pull them out one at a time with a pair of snap ring pliers and set them (pointy end up) on a piece of parchment paper on a flat piece of floor tile that fits nicely in my little toaster oven. If you try this, you'll find that there is a sweet spot for the consistency of the liquid solution. Too thick and the powder coat goes on the bullet too thick and boils/bubbles on the surface. Too thin and it runs off the bullet entirely. Just right and you get a nice even coat without having to fuss with all that crazy powder coating equipment. After you set them on the tile let it dry for a bit then bake. Acetone evaporates pretty quick so it doesn't take long for them to dry. This can be a tedious method that is probably not conducive to large quantities of bullets but it works great if you want to make 20-40 very nice and evenly coated rifle bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’ll have to try putting them in trays and flipping them! Just did another tumble coat today using smokes purple, blue, and black mixed…

Smokes clear PC works the best for me. Goes on the easiest and smoothest. I can use it year around. It’s not humidity sensitive for me.

Awesome looking results
    In God We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Attachment 277132
    If you have a vibratory tumbler you might try this. Myself and AndyC have been experimenting and so far we like what we see. Any bottle with a good screw on lid will work. When you turn on your tumbler the bottles will turn slowly,the vibration and the bullets sliding on the inside of the bottle help to create more static than the shake and bake. Times generally run around five to ten minutes to coat.

Well.....now I know what I'll be doing with my empty smokeless powder jars.

That looks like a great solution.
    In God We Trust

Boolit Buddy
    This may have already been covered somewhere, but with 129 pages of posts I'll just ask.

I bought bullets from Missouri Bullet Company and I was impressed by the fact there is an even powder coat over the entire bullet. There is no indication it was sitting on anything at all when it was coated and baked in paint.

With mine either the base is not covered or if I put them all on a mesh screen, there are small spots that don't get covered. Does not affect functionality, but I can't figure out how MBC manages to get a nice even coat over the whole thing like that.

?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
    I'm just starting to Powder Coat. I like Black and I don't see much regarding these colors. I'm specifically looking at Powder by the Pound "RAL Signal Black". I called the company and asked the lady what powders tend to work best for powder coating bullets. She told me that most bullet coaters use glossy "RAL" model powders for best success. I bought two lbs 9004 Signal Black. Any comments?
    For my own shooting I use whatever is cheapest. I got an Eastwood sample starter kit so for regular range time so my colors are all over the place. Ultimately mixing the colors makes my bullets look brown. I'm still learning so I guess they look like what they are.

When I get good at this I will use either clear (looks like a plain lead) or copper color (Looks like a jacketed bullet when it is not)

Boolit Master
    they aren't powder coating they are using Hi TEK
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Good moening all, just a few thoughts about P/Cing boolits. I started taking lessons from Elvisammo a long time ago. (thank you internet). What I have settled on and use exclusivly is Ford Light Blue from Eastwood. I swirl them in a cool whip dish until they are well coated, then pour them into a basket that I bought (3 of) from Bed Bath and Beyond prior to their closing. I usually get about 100 into each basket and then bake them in my toaster oven at 450° (thermometer says it usually gets to about 400°) for 20 minutes on the oven timer. When they are done I pour them onto a sheet of asbestos siding ( that covers the end of my work table (approx 4'X4')) to let them cool, then store them in old Costco nut jars.
    I use two bullet molds from: Lee 358-105 SWC and TL356-124-2R for my 9mm.
    Side note: I love the SWC because of the holes it makes in the paper targets (it looks like I punched them with a paper punch).
    Last edited by trixter; 12-14-2023 at 10:20 AM.

Hello everyone!

New PC member and I use Prismatic Powders in 3" PVC pipes cut to 6" with the PVC end caps.
    After shaking for about a minute, I place the PVC pipe on a Harbor Freight rock tumbler (spins not vibrate) for 5 - 10 minutes then remove and shake off the excess before popping them in the oven @ 400F for 10 minutes.

The 00 buckshot colors are:

Glow-bee Clear over Polar White (I live on a 80 acre farm and wanted to try this PC out since some others have had issues with it on YT)
    Savannah Blue
    Spanish Gold
    Lollypop Red
    Electric Green
    Sinbad Purple

The 'brown' slugs are Prismatic Powders Transparent Copper (lighter brown slugs), and The Powder Coat Store's Candy Copper (darker brown slugs).
    These coppers were an issue, even after 2 coats of the Transparent and 3 coats of the Candy.

In case you're wondering why PVC, it's due to it's high ability to gain a negative(-) electrical charge.

In order, from greatest to least, the various sources that gain a negative electrical charge:

Teflon
    Silicon (NOT Silicone although it's made from Silicon)
    Vinyl (PVC)
    Polypropylene (the PP5 containers so many of us use)
    Polyethylene (PE2 or PE4)
    Polyurethane (Nylon and flexible PVC)
    Saran Wrap (plastic wrap is usually polypropylene, polyethylene, and/or polyurethane - I.E. pallet shrink wrap)
    Styrofoam
    Polyester

Name:	PC2.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	321445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC1.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	321446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC3.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	321447

Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119120121122123124125126127128129130 LastLast