RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 102 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Some of us more active members in PC have discussed (and cussed) on PM's about starting another thread PURELY AND ONLY for instructional info, instructions, directions, technical stuff and NOT for "lookie-loo's" for what someone has "done last night". Those belong in another thread completely. I am as guilty as the next because there is no where to put it right now! And that garbage just clutters up the thread for those new guys looking to learn the art of PC'ing.

So far nothing has happened.

bangerjim
    Yep, I'd like to see a "sticky" type "how to" thread that is closed for comment.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    They shot well, seemed fairly accurate, cycled nicely through the ar. I have another batch cooking with some 401 Hps, I'll chrono and test accuracy next.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393372993.839464.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	97858

Fun fun, second batch to test
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master
    When I started to PC boolets it was only after reading over 80 pages of forum and did not comment until after obtaining some results. It took me over a week of free time here and there. Yes, there are ALOT of questions answered numerous times from those that didn't care to read all available info.

There have been no comments from me since November here. One member commented to imply I was doing no more than flinging lead downrange to see if it could be done, hardly the case. This is not a way to get people to share their research info freely. Some people like to pick apart the labor of others while creating little to nothing on their own. These people exist, life goes on.

As far as locking down the thread, sounds like a great idea. Edit out the trash (including this post) leaving only technical data. My deepest condolences to he who has to read through over 2000 posts to edit trash.

Warmer weather is coming soon and I will be at the range testing PC further from where I left off last November. If the thread here is open I shall post any NEW results found. I haven't seen anyone test this in the gas system of a desert eagle yet, it's coming. 50 cal jacketed bullets are expensive, so are copper coated, this may be a viable option. I'm hoping to find a PC boolet that will shoot close to as well as an AMAX or SMK @300 yards, a lofty goal but willing to try. Then again these things may well be better addressed in another thread w/o having to weed through over 2000 posts.

Sorry for the long post.

Best of luck to you guys, I see this as opening up a new world of casting.

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    It may just all be wishful thinking. Who amoung us will take the responsiblilty to start a new thread and write the all-encompasing on-the-money cover-all-the-points "manual of powder coating" when there are actually THREE (3) methods people use?

1. Electrostatc discharge gun
    2. Dry tumble in a plastic tub
    3. Liquid dissolution method in solvent

I support and know #1 backwards and forwards. I use #2 for special occasions. I could NEVER get #3 to work with any combo of components.

But there are always those that have comments and jabs at how how do this and why do that.....would be impossible to make a thread that was totally written (to satisfy EVERYBODY!) and then locked for zero comments.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome on how to approach this task.

But we need to do something to allow new comers an easier path to success! I started doing this when there was one or two page of comments. Now it is rediculously long, sprinkled with usless banter and lookie-loo comments and pix.

Range success stories are of most value, now that we have pretty much all figured out the right and wrong ways to make spray racks. There probably 3 dozen different ideas in here on how to make racks for your oven! That almost needs a thread in itself to simlify things.

Please.........speak up!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Oopps should I not be posting pics? I thought everyone liked seeing how others do it, I like seeing others ideas just as much as reading the posts. It's interesting how people make their racks.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Bub
    I like pictures. Like they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

Boolit Grand Master
    For now, this is the only place for pix. Keep posting them! New ideas are welcome.

But we need to seriously consider coming up with a way to generate a tutorial-like thread, not open to a barrage of comments and quips, that allows people to get the idea of PC'ing in short order. It really needs to be a way for those that want to learn the ropes of PC'ing to be able to read, in a relative SHORT (!) synopsis, how to get started and to get good results. Many of us have spent hours developing, playing, cussing, and discussing how to do this. It's all in this very long thread ( and others) that many do not have the time or interest to dive into and read extensively. We have invested the time and sweat to develop proven techniques that we have shared here over the past months.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome!

bangerjim

The one problem I see is what will get put in the tutorial type thread. The only way to keep it clean would be to have it locked, and someone with mod access stick in replies. That being said, WHO will determine WHAT will get put in. Some replies tend to not be informative ones that concern the thread at all, like this one. Some are repeats of previous replies. Some are on the lines of " if you are not doing it MY WAY you are wrong". Some are information fragments, that you MAY find the results of someones experience on a specific topic, IF you read 10 different replies, covering six different pages.

Im going to PC tomorrow!
    Ok, loading them today.
    Headed to the range next week.
    OK, headed to the range today, wish me luck!
    I shot 20 when I went to the range yesterday, NO LEADING!

But no SPECIFIC results, like accuracy, velocity, load data, etc.

I know most everyone has done something like that at one time or another, but it does tend to REALLY drag a thread out. Or my favorite, that I am probably more guilty of than anyone else here, getting totally off topic and engaging in conversations that would be better off handled with PM's.

Or maybe like Goodsteel did with the Accurate mold thread. He edits the first post with data from all, make a living doc. out of the data. Needed info is 1)how-to; first post. 2) equipment used; 2nd post. 3)documented Q&A, problems & solutions; 3rd post. Same format for each method. Thread could be locked. Range & load reports? It works in pistol - no leading or accuracy loss if DONE RIGHT. There is a separate HV rifle accuracy/performance thread. Final problem is posters won't stay out of stickys with irrelevant or redundant info. Several naysayers who have never tried it and those who want stuff done their way. Several ways to skin the cat. Find the best method, if there is one, post it - with supporting reasons. A doc could be passed around by PM to edit & massage before thread is made.
    Last edited by popper; 02-26-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Or we could just take it for what it is, a forum where anyone can add info and ask questions. I explained why I didn't care for reading a 130 post thread, but that in no way suggests limiting folk's posting ideas, modifications/changes to current methods...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It's not that complicated.... 'easily summed up in less than 120 pages: If you're not ESPC'ing them with HF red while they're sitting on 6-32 nuts under non-stick foil and baking 20 mins at 400, you're doing it wrong.

See how easy!

But who's to say that somebody might discover that if you soak em in X-brand of weedkiller first, you don't even have to bake em?...
    Or if you cast em within 4 feet of an operating microwave while playing a radio loudly, they don't need coated at all?....
    or.....

It's always going to be evolving. So if you don't keep updating the sticky, or at least the first "definitive how-to" page, you are going to miss the breakthroughs on page 162, and then you'll always have the arguments on how relevant or how much of a breakthrough it was, or whether it was really definitive or a fluke.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Don't think there is any intent on limiting the forum, just get basic info someplace easy to find for those beginning with coating. New REAL developments/techniques would be easy to add, there probably won't be too many.
    If you're not ESPC'ing them with HF red while they're sitting on 6-32 nuts under non-stick foil and baking 20 mins at 400, you're doing it wrong.
    I don't use nuts, parchment paper works just as good, HF red seems to be the best cheap PC, you do need a convection oven & good temp control, etc.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

sounds like we need a locked tutorial run by folk(s) that are more advanced (experts) in each of three methods. Then leave everything else open to posts.
    Experts could cull ideas from open posts and place in tutorial.
    As I have done this for other hobbies/passions/obsessions I know it would be a thankless task that would almost be like a real job.
    my 2
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with you too, popper. Many ways work just fine, but not one way for all.
    For example, I would have to dispute the absolute necessity of a convection oven. I don't use a convection oven. I use the cheapest ol' Black & Decker "glowing-rod model" out there, and I think I do pretty good, even though I know a lot of posters swear you can't do it without convection. I recommend a convection oven, and I have seen the postings of many melted or blackened boolits from not using one, but I have never had a batch fail in all of my cooking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I agree with you too, popper. Many ways work just fine, but not one way for all.
    For example, I would have to dispute the absolute necessity of a convection oven. I don't use a convection oven. I use the cheapest ol' Black & Decker "glowing-rod model" out there, and I think I do pretty good, even though I know a lot of posters swear you can't do it without convection. I recommend a convection oven, and I have seen the postings of many melted or blackened boolits from not using one, but I have never had a batch fail in all of my cooking.

You are very lucky! I have tried two different brands of standard ovens and had sagging boolits over the elements and cold spots (per the IR gun) around the edges.

But whatever floats your boat! My suggestion is try what you currently have. If it works...good. There are always alternatives (if it does not work) listed here that have been tried, discussed and cussed by others.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post

Lol,,

That's the same one I'm using, I brought the wife a nice big one and figured I would test in the old one to see if I want to buy a bigger one,, now,, the damn thing couldn't cook toast evenly (would have to swap spots 1/2 was through or one would burn) but it seems to do the PC just fine.

Loaded up some 40s, took the 224s out this am but didn't chroney or test accuracy because it decided to rain, they shot well. I'll be testing the 40 hps tomorrow am, in the rain again so no chroney/paper.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coating Boolits

Sorry for those who hate pictures to post a couple LOL,,

Im new to this and this is my third batch,, does anybody see any issue with the way that I am tying these up?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393454859.219451.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	97963

Doing it this way allows me to get a nice coating along the bottom,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393454934.904342.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	97964

Took me about 10 minutes to tie them up with the wire and I'm getting a good ground to the bullets

Edit,,
    Last edited by lka; 02-26-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Grand Master

If it really doesn't take long..... that surely is a great way to coat. Some guys early in the development of this, used some jigs that held the boolits by each end with sharp pins, screws, or even some finish nails and got great coats. I did see somebody else try a wire rack like that, but I think they all abandoned it as tedious, but you might have a great technique to speed it up that we don't know about.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got the mold today it's a lee 6c 358/148-wc, I loaded up some normal casts then decided to PC a few for fun.

The wire method isn't too badI just fold the wire in 1/2, stick the bullet in, push it in the lube grove, hold with pliers, twist the bullet 3 times then repeat. It took me about 10 mins to wire up the rack, after twisting the wire I dipped into acetone then attached to the grate.

The .223s shot externally well, I'll chroney them after the storm, I'm going to dig out the 358 and 401 tomorrow and inspect The projectile fun stuff!
    Hope for change.