Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master
    Arrow, the chamber being too tight is a common problem. I have exactly what you describe with my lone wolf barrel and I need to send it back to them to have the chamber opened up a bit.

You can try a few things with dummy rounds just to be sure. First do what the Captain said but 1.240" oal for 10mm. That should put the edge of the front driving band right at the case mouth and mostly eliminate any issue with the throat interfering with checking the chamber fit. Then, if you have a smaller (.4005" ) sizing die you should try that and see if the problem is any better.

I stand by my assessment that your chamber is too tight and the solution is to contact the manufacturer about having it reamed.
    Last edited by Oreo; 04-17-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    Capt howdy thank you for all your help about seating depth but I am shooting these in 10mm not .40 sw so 1.125" will be way too short. Also the bullets are not hitting the throat before being fully chambered, the bulge in the brass where the billet is is just too fat. I understand that maybe this means my chamber is too tight but there are lots I others using this bullet in kkm barrels, why would I have this problem?
    ****...why did I think you were using a 40...apologies...I load them for my 10mm as well...so far no problems...

hmmm.... what brand die are you using?

I have a lone wolf for my glock 22...and I realize each barrel may be different but it will chamber a round with the bullet sized at .403

my glock 20 is still factory barrel. I am waiting for a lone wolf barrel for it before I get carried away with loading for it. I hope I don't have any kind of chamber issues.

I do know that some dies tend to size case diameters tighter than others. My Hornady dies size the cases a bit tighter than my uncles Lee dies did. That is why I got rid of them.

First off I apologize for my cartridge misunderstanding...I was reading this on my phone and I often miss stuff on it.

Secondly don't get too frustrated and whatever you do don't give up!!!

Last but not least don't hesitate to try a different set of dies from a different manufacturer. I have had very good luck with Hornady dies for pistol loading. I do find their rifle dies are not as friendly as their pistol dies though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39f4145f-118d-4c73-b416-0bb502d62430_zps1f82e67e.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	102527
    Last edited by Captain_Howdy; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    How are you expanding the case mouth? I had problems with 9mm that the case was bulging during the expanding step with RCBS dies. I backed off the expander plug until there were no more problem with bulging but still had enough bell to barely start the bullet. The problem was the case bulging and not the mouth of the case belling too much. The 9mm with those dies is the only occurrence I've had with that situation. Tis may not be your problem even but it something I have experienced and something else to look for and cancel out in an attempt to remedy your problem. I expand the .40S&W ,not 10mm, with the Lyman M die for the 190 gr. cast without any problems.

Boolit Bub
    I think I might have figured out the problem. Looking at some cartridges tht wouldn't chamber I can see that the bulge is more on one side than the other. That would mean they are not being sete straight. I am using lee dies. I took the seater plug out and put a billet up to it and it rolled around. It is a flat point bullet an a round nose seating plug. What seating dies are y'all using? Is there a way to get a flat point seating plug for a lee seating die? Also what's about these Lyman type m expanders I am always hearing people talk about with cast bullets? Thanks for all the help.

Boolit Master
    I use a Redding seating die. It contacts the boolit on the ogive and so seats more consistently.

As for the M-die, you'll have to buy the die and then talk to one of the members here who make custom expander plugs for the die because the Lyman plug is about .0015" too small to stretch the brass. Its only really needed if you find your boolits are getting swaged down in size by the brass during seating.

I've heard that the RCBS expander die is a better design but I don't have any experience with it, nor can I say whether you'd need a custom plug for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I use hornady pistol dies...the pistol set comes with two different bullet seating stems. One stem seats on the ogive and one stem seats with a flat face on the nose of the bullet...works great with HP's and flat nose bullets. Alignment is maintained by a floating alignment sleeve. It is a complicated die but I prefer them to most others if you guys want I can take a few pics later

Boolit Buddy
    I had RCBS due to the unavailability of Redding at the time and wasn't happy with the results in .40S&W. I came across a set of the Redding Pro series and bought them. I sold the RCBS the next day. I've had good results with Redding and use them for most of what I reload. My second favorite is the RCBS Cowboy dies in revolver cartridges.

Figured I'd add some results, finally got in front of buddy's chrony yesterday. This is a 40minor load for high volume shooting in 3gun competiton. Accuracy,cycling and recoil mitigation were main concerns. Drops brass 2ft out and slightly rear of shooter. Will put all rounds in about 1" at 10yards. Enough weight and power to knock over steel.

Mihec 403-190(drops 187 Deep HP, 197 solid)
    Air cooled range scrap
    Lubesizer rcbs die .401
    Ben's red
    Lee dies, taper, no FCD
    COAL 1.12
    AA#5 5.3grs
    STI 2011 Eagle .40 5"
    Cold bore-10shots

Mihec 187gr HP

Avg 810.6 FPS
    Last edited by Jupiter7; 04-19-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Data

Boolit Bub
    I am looking for a 190 grain mold now for .40 sw. I love the 200 grainer just looking for a 190 now. Does anyone have an extra they could part with?

Boolit Master
    Arrow, it might be worth sending a pm to MiHec to see whether he has any left.

Boolit Bub
    Well I figured out why I couldn't get my rounds to chamber. They were bulging due to not using a flat seater plug. Got a hornady seater die and also foud out PCM brass is thicker so that won't chamber either. Now having a new problem with leading. I posted this in a different section but figured I'd post it here for people who shoot this bullet to read. This is what I posted:

I am shooting a glock 20 with kkm barrel. I have a mihec 200 10mm mould. Shooting longshot powder. They are sized .402 and my barrel slugs .4005-.4001. I have tried Lyman moly lube as well as carnauba red. I tested loads from 8.2-9.0 in .2 grain increments. Bullets casted from straight wheel weights. I feel like I have tried everything and still keep getting leading. I am new to casting And I'm getting leading in everything 9mm, 10mm, .44 mag. I'm not too worried about the other two calibers right now, the 10mm is my main concern. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Also after a few different responses I wrote this:

I am loading for max performance. I have read the thread about others pushing this bullet hard. I haven't pulled a bullet and miced it yet but I will. I don't usually go off load data for 10mm because it is usually way too light. I have shot some underwood ammo and measured case expansion and an using that as a guideline for pressure testing with these loads. 9.2 grains I starting to show pressure. How are others pushing this bullet hard without leading? Thanks for the help.

That being said is anyone using longshot on this bullet in 10mm and if so what load?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    When I first started casting I was having some leading issues too. In the beginning I was using only WWs and some home grown lube I got from one of these forums. It wasn't bad and my bullets shot straight so I wasn't overly concerned. Oddly enough I ran out of WWs one day and being the cheap bastard that I am I just picked up around 100 pounds of shot bullets from the range and melted it all down. I have no idea what the hardness is or any of the specifics but it seems a bit softer than the WWs. A lot softer. I had to add solder to get proper fill even when the mold was hot enough to frost...once that done the fill was awesome. My leading absolutely went away. My accuracy went way up. And my hollowpoints actually expand now instead of shattering like glass. Even fast movers from my 357 mag seem to really perform with this soft lead. My 40 cal loves it as well as my 45. I don't have an aftermarket barrel for my own Glock 20 yet but I do for my 22 and my 21. Those guns love some lead bullets. I have fired lead through the factory G 20 barrel and it shot very good but I really love that 10mm and I don't wanna risk blowing it up with a factory barrel pushing fast lead bullets...I am thinking a LWD barrel is just a few pay days away. I will say that the 190 gn bullet from the 10mm hits like a tank round just saying

Boolit Bub
    Capt howdy, thank you for your advice. I'm still trying to figure this out. Now my advice based of my experience is I keep saving and pass that lonewolf for a kkm. My whole glock 20 stopped working in many ways once putting that lonewolf barrel in. I dropped another $160 and put the kkm in and he whole gun smoothed up and the problems went away. (Except for the leading)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    Capt howdy, thank you for your advice. I'm still trying to figure this out. Now my advice based of my experience is I keep saving and pass that lonewolf for a kkm. My whole glock 20 stopped working in many ways once putting that lonewolf barrel in. I dropped another $160 and put the kkm in and he whole gun smoothed up and the problems went away. (Except for the leading)
    Yea, I realize the LWD barrels are kinda bottom of the barrel...pun intended...If I was gonna hunt with it or get really serious I too would get a KKM or something better like you did, especially if I was having problems with it...I wish you the best man

Hey guys:

I gave a buddy of mine about 100 of these bullets made up with 20:1 alloy. He shot one into ballistics gel today and the results were kind of impressive:

I made some rounds with that same bullet/alloy using blue dot that went about 130fps slower and they barely expanded.

Boolit Master
    That is pretty impressive I think that is the perfect alloy for me also as that is about the velocity I try to shoot for.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting that Ole, and thanks to your friend for doing the test / video. That is an impressive result.

Any chance of getting him to repeat the test with flat nose and deep HP versions of the boolit?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Thanks for posting that Ole, and thanks to your friend for doing the test / video. That is an impressive result.

Any chance of getting him to repeat the test with flat nose and deep HP versions of the boolit?
    You're welcome and I agree. It's impressive.

I will run the idea by my friend. I know he has had other people ask him about doing the deep HP, so maybe in the interest of pleasing his youtube audience he'll do the test.

Boolit Master
    I am particularly interested in what the deep HP will do at 40sw velocity, and how to tailor the alloy for it. I figure the deep HP will just blow the nose off at 10mm velocity but there ought to be a way to make it perform well in 40sw. The deep hp was modeled after the speer gdhp with the intention of achieving good reliable expansion in the 4-layer denim test. I suppose some experimentation would be needed to figure out the allow requirements but once that is learned my hope is for rewarding performance.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not been around lately. But I figured I should let you guys know what I am planning on killing this fall with this boolit.

I got another bear tag. So hoping to take that with my 10mm pistol. And of course deer again. Sept 3rd bear opens. So if I am lucky I should have some videos of the shot.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast