Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Buddy
    I wasn't seeing any flash but it's definitely worth a closer look. I'll check some I have that are sized and not sized.

Boolit Master
    It's there. Its not much, not like some junky fishing sinker mold where you gotta trim it off each casting. But it's not like the perfect parting lines on the side of the boolit. It's just enough to throw off your length measurement several thousandths, and maybe your seating die by the same if it contacts the boolit on the meplat.

Boolit Buddy
    My only issue is with glock mags when trying to stuff a high cap with oal's past 1.125.

I am more in love with the bullet than the gun though so I'm thinking about changing to a gun that goes longer. The eaa full size with their 1 standard frame is the only thing I have found that should work perfectly. Oreo what are you using? In my research your name is popping up all over the internet going back years.

So apparently I'm researching what you have already done. The idea for numerous reasons not worth getting into is a 40 loaded long to approximate 10mm 1.2ish length. Would you mind starting a thread on this that could be used for reference? If you thought it, I thought it, chances are thousands more are going down the same road. I just don't want to buy the platform only to find out a month later there was a better option. Right now eaa fullsize steel frame 10mm with compact 40 upper is the best option I have found. I saw you made this bullet with this in mind. I bought this mold with this in mind hehe. You are trailblazing my friend. I would love to see something totally dedicated to the idea
    Last edited by smokesahoy; 02-08-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: android auto correct shenanigans

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for pointing that out Oreo. I see the flash on the nose now. I looked at some unsized and see what you are referring to. A trip through the sizer makes it a smooth flat surface but I can see the small difference the flash makes when measuring several with the caliper. I've only been casting the shallow HP so I will have to see what it looks like with the flat point pins. Time to try a custom seating plug or make the switch to the Redding like I wanted originally. I'm happy with the RCBS sizer and use the Lyman M, so I will look around for a Redding seater. Then I might have the die set that works for me. Every time I go cheaper it always cost me more in the long run. I know this might be splitting hairs, but it keeps me occupied until I can get the real results on paper. Saw the thermometer flirt with the zero today...

Boolit Master
    In my limited experience the flat pins are a little better with the flash but more then that, there's enough surface area that you can use a micrometer on the flat meplate to get an accurate OAL measurement unaffected by the flash.

The Redding seating die works well with these boolits. It contacts only the ogive so the nosr flash does not affect the seating depth.

Boolit Master
    Smokesahoy,
    I shoot these in glocks. 3rd gen 23 and 20sf. I prototyped and designed this boolit for glocks because that's what I had to test with. It was documented in the design discussion thread that a glock can feed almost a full wadcutter design but the magazine would bind with a meplate larger then .300" loaded to saami length. Thus, this boolit has the .300" meplate. In a 40sw these can be loaded to 1.125" and no longer or you won't be able to get the last round in the mag. Same for 10mm @ 1.250". Whatever this boolit will do in other guns and mags I have no knowledge of.

However, I have researched loading a cartridge to 10mm oal using 40sw brass. For that I recommend a G20 with a lone wolf 40sw conversion barrel. You'll have to have Lone Wolf open up the chamber a little for use with lead boolits. I'm told its a common request for them. Otherwise, the LW 10-40sw barrel readily chambers this boolit loaded to 1.250". Use 10mm load data, do proper ladder load work-ups, and stay away from max loads. You can do medium to medium-hot loads but don't push your luck. When you want full heat use real 10mm brass loaded proper. The one caveat with this boolit is that the grease groove is right at the case mouth when loading this way. This is why I had a mold modified (grease grooves removed). Those boolits will be powder coated and have no groove to interfere with case tension or leak lube everywhere.
    Last edited by Oreo; 02-09-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    I shot some of the 200gr HPs yesterday over my CED m2 chrono with the infrared screens 10 feet from the muzzle of my 5 inch 1911. Load was 8.6gr HS6 with a Winchester LPP average for 10 rounds was 1150fps. which kinda surprised me because the book showed 1083 with a 200gr XTP. Seems like a good load accurate but I do think I need a softer lube.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Buddy
    What lube was you using harley?

Boolit Master
    It's Jake's Purple Cerecisin Lube

Boolit Buddy
    I just mixed some 50/50 and Jake's purple to use it up and see how the combo works. Going to try it on this boolit and 9mm. It make's Jake's **** brown.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to powdercoating

Boolit Buddy
    I've gone to espc too. So nice not to have sticky anything anymore.

Boolit Master
    plus I', hoping to use a softer alloy that won't break up

I did some bullets today with this mold using 20:1 alloy (no SB, just lead and tin)

Didn't do too many, around 30 of each to test in ballistics gel.

Boolit Master
    Can't wait to see/read the results!

Boolit Master
    Oreo did you ever use that mold you had the grooves removed from?

Boolit Master
    Not yet. Not other then test-casting a few. None loaded or fired. I still need to reexamine the mold to figure out why the cavities were misaligned by a couple thou and hone out difference if necessary. I want it right before I start making ammo.

Alas, my wife is pregnant and I am as I type this remodeling a room to be my 2yo's so that his little brother can have the nursery. Too much to do and not enough time to play with boolits. I hope I'll have some time this summer for the boolit project.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Not yet. Not other then test-casting a few. None loaded or fired. I still need to reexamine the mold to figure out why the cavities were misaligned by a couple thou and hone out difference if necessary. I want it right before I start making ammo.

Alas, my wife is pregnant and I am as I type this remodeling a room to be my 2yo's so that his little brother can have the nursery. Too much to do and not enough time to play with boolits. I hope I'll have some time this summer for the boolit project.
    Wow...Grats on the new family member bro!!! I hope everything goes perfect with your wife's pregnancy and delivery when it comes!!! As for you however...well...get your butt back to work on that bedroom!!! Playtime is over for you!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Oreo, when you figure out the misalignment please let me know what you find.

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got to shoot some of the 190 shallow HP. No chronograph work yet until I get another one ordered. I'm out of practice with no range time over the winter, but Power pistol is showing some real potential with this boolit for me...

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast