Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Buddy
    if you factor in reduced oal it's probably pretty much there but you are comparing a ***** cat 10mm load to a *heavily* modified 40 at only a tenth of an inch shorter oal and a correspondingly smaller powder load. but- brass doesn't eject far, does not get mangled, recoil isn't excessive, no failures to feed like you'd expect if timing was off.

Powder is not compressed but it is full. With a faster powder this would not be good, but with this particular powder, this particular boolit, it's fine. There is no book data for this bullet how would you work it up? using data that was published with a .650-.680" jacketed bullet? Wouldn't there be some discrepancy there too though leading you to work your own load?

It is a safe load, I have loaded higher to where stresses of the pressure start showing up then backed down to where the groups tightened back up. I'm not concerned about the gun wearing out, it's just a g22 trade in, but if something cracks i'll be sure to post back as that would be *dangerous*, not just perhaps theoretically more wear and tear.

i loaded it to my personal max of brass deformation and then came back down to where the accuracy comes together. definition of working a load.

i went into production, a few hundred loaded up this afternoon. i wonder if i just dialed in to buffalo bore, doubletap or underwoods load? all i know that in this gun the mechanics aren't being stressed from a little shooting. i'll test in the 23 tomorrow, that one has a 24 pound recoil spring and factory barrel. Then I've got a few k brass to load up, weather permitting more casting, so I will be sure to let everyone know if my gun fags out during plinking.

I'm happy though. Finally got all parts of the equation dialed in to a really nice combo. I just post here because during research I did not find helpful information. Perhaps this will provide a piece to someone else's puzzle and be helpful in the future.

It's not a limp wrist load, but honestly if recoil hurts someones delicate constitution shouldn't they take up another hobby? I hear knitting is the rage with the ladies. Haha, just kidding, it doesn't recoil that much

Boolit Buddy
    With 800x its hard to get into the danger zone unless u compress a lot. Seeing I have ran 10gr under the 200gr in my 10mm safely. At your 7.some gr in the 40 is probably around the same.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally had a chance to get out yesterday and try these out in my H&K 40 Expert USP. I have the 190 grain mold that drops at .403 from my alloy. Using the large hollow point pins the bullet weighs in at about 185 grains, sized at .401, lubed with Ben's red. I'm using 4.6 grains of Titegroup with Winchester brass and Remington primers. This is the results shooting 3 mags, 10 rounds each at 25 yards. No signs whatsoever of leading in the polygonal rifling of the barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	94752

I'm very pleased to say the least that I got in on the second run of this mold. I'm really looking forward to the 150/135 design grain group buy going on now, and hoping for another winner. A big thanks to everyone involved in making this happen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SP5315 View Post
    I finally had a chance to get out yesterday and try these out in my H&K 40 Expert USP. I have the 190 grain mold that drops at .403 from my alloy. Using the large hollow point pins the bullet weighs in at about 185 grains, sized at .401, lubed with Ben's red. I'm using 4.6 grains of Titegroup with Winchester brass and Remington primers. This is the results shooting 3 mags, 10 rounds each at 25 yards. No signs whatsoever of leading in the polygonal rifling of the barrel.

I'm very pleased to say the least that I got in on the second run of this mold. I'm really looking forward to the 150/135 design grain group buy going on now, and hoping for another winner. A big thanks to everyone involved in making this happen.
    About the very load I use in all our Glocks, ya just cant beat the boolit.
    Good shooting, cast and reload is big time bragging rights.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Bub
    I have sent 2 private messages to mihec asking about getting a 200 grain mold about a month ago and about a week apart. Still haven't heard anything back which makes me believe he doesn't have anymore. Is there anyone out there with an extra or who is just looking to sell theirs? Please let me know if so. I would like to buy one. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I would at least keep after MiHec till you get a reply from him. I've sent many PMs asking questions as a honcho that never got a reply.

Boolit Buddy
    just got my Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 22 today. What a vast improvement over the glock stock barrel for cast lead shooting. I couldn't believe how much better it shot and the leading was nothing and the stock barrel seemed to lead fairly quickly. I can see I am gonna get one for my glock 20 now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    I have sent 2 private messages to mihec asking about getting a 200 grain mold about a month ago and about a week apart. Still haven't heard anything back which makes me believe he doesn't have anymore. Is there anyone out there with an extra or who is just looking to sell theirs? Please let me know if so. I would like to buy one. Thank you.
    He stays fairly busy. I've had to send a couple messages before receiving an answer. If you really want one of his molds, sometimes it helps to send him a message on his web site http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Contact_us
    Last edited by SP5315; 02-04-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: One day I'll learn to spell.

Boolit Buddy
    So check this out. I got invited to Africa on a hunt in the end of Aug. I think I am going to go. I am going to attempt to hunt with my 10mm with the 200gr flat nose. Talk about a cool test of performance. The guy that invited me was there last year and loved it. I was pretty lucky to get the invite to join.

Boolit Buddy
    Question is at this time is if I can get my pistol into the country. Have to check on all that yet.

Boolit Master
    Wow! That's awesome ctious. Let us know how it goes.

Boolit Buddy
    Well its all good. I can bring in my pistol. I won't be hunting any real big game. Plains game. Right now I will hunt warthog, impala, springbuck. I am going to look at adding maybe one or 2 more animals. Just have to see what those will cost me.

Boolit Master
    10mm on water buffalo? Elephant? Don't puss out ctious. Be a man and push those boundaries.

Boolit Buddy
    Lol. I am thinking I will add a kudu. That will be a good challenge for the 10mm.

Ctious,

Africa sounds awesome! Pistol hunting sounds even cooler! Best of luck.

I found a neat link from another forum. For those loading this boolit in 40 and pushing the edge, I think the uspsa and ipsc guys making major power factor with heavies have some pretty good data. Some big names in there like Dick Metcalf. Anyways, follow the link and then click on the link for 40s&w data. My powder/weight combo(1.12" and 6.2grs AA#5 with large HP 187gr) that i worked up on my own was in here, made me feel a tad better.

http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm

Boolit Buddy
    What dies are you guys using to load this boolit. I loaded some with RCBS and noticed that the OAL could vary as much as .010 inch. I was loading the 190 in .40 to 1.130 OAL. It fit the chamber with the barrel removed and loaded into the magazine to full capacity. The dummy rounds chambered well in the P229. When loading the charged round I noticed that occasionally a few were seating as much as .010 deeper with calipers. I then disassembled the seating die and found no lube build-up. I checked the plug and could see a ring on the taper where the ogive was making contact. I'm going to make a flat plug to see if it makes things more consistent. I was wondering what results others have seen.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a pita with dies. I used hornady and Redding. More or less I ended up using some from each. I use the hornady sizer. Lyman m die custom expander. Redding seater that I opened up a little. Its the one that only profiles it. Not taper crimp. Then the Redding taper crimp just enough to allow the round to drop into the chamber.

A lot of screwing around. Lol.

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted the Redding, my preference, but found a deal on RCBS, so I went for it. The Redding have had scare availability, too. I am using the Lyman M die expander with the plug that came with it. I seat and crimp in separate operations. I was considering, and still am, opening up the seater and getting a designated taper crimp die. The first loads for development I was getting some lead shaved during seating, but I also had a misalignment problem with .003 offset and the heavy parting line like Oreo's. I inspected the mold and just holding the blocks together they appeared good. I had them on a set of Lee handles and noticed that the handle tips looked bent and not straight with each other. I switched the blocks to my MP handles and the next batch improved to .001-.002 misalignment. I haven't had this problem in any of my other molds though so I'll keep fine tuning it. The tip of the boolit (shallow HP) is pretty flat after sizing so I was thinking that a flat surface on the seating plug would give the most consistent results for OAL. This is a new cartridge for me, so I have been making the adjustments while making ladder loads development to find what I and the gun likes. It was -35*F yesterday, but warming up so I might be able to get some shooting in one of these days.

Boolit Master
    I suspect the seating depth variance might be due to the flash on the nose from around the hp pins. This can affect both the actual OAL as well as the measurement. I use the redding seating die which contacts the boolit on the ogive and I get good consistent OALs. Measuring the OALs requires extra care too though, to prevent the flash from interfering.

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast