Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master
    It looked to me like the corners of the glock mags weren't the problem but it was the nose-up angle that the rounds are held at. The deeper the round goes in the mag the steeper the angle till the bottom corner of the nose of the boolit starts binding against the front wall of the mag. This is why loading shorter rounds alleviates the binding.

I don't know anything about the eaa steel but I do suppose the front-to-back internal dimension of the mags and the angle of the loaded rounds would be the determining factors.

Boolit Master

I load these for 40 S&W for all 7 of our Glocks, OAL is 1.072.
    We do not have a worry of hitting the mag sides.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    What's the weight on those?
    Just put them on the scale. The solid nose is weighing in around 199gr. Remember that the 190gr (w/lube groove) molds tend to drop about 4gr heavy which puts the lube groove at ~5gr lead displacement volume.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    I load these for 40 S&W for all 7 of our Glocks, OAL is 1.072.
    We do not have a worry of hitting the mag sides.
    yeah I should have said under normal load conditions these are completely flawless.

I am noticing a bit of friction starting around 1.135, at more normal 1.125 lengths the issue completely disappears. In an earlier load development with a TC I was hitting 1.16 as a max and I was attempting to load these to that length.

Oreo, I'm very interested in your experiments, please keep posting your findings as I find myself heading down the same path of the 10/40 hybrid.

I think I'm gonna start watching for deals on the EAA steel fullsize in 10mm and get that plus a compact 40 upper.

Boolit Buddy
    dammit oreo I cant find my bullet!

I'm trying to capture the damn thing, now I'm out of milk jugs. I figured 4 would stop it, the first 2 were annihilated, clean passthru on the next 2, and somewhere into the frozen ground beyond. bah. I was about 5 yards from the set, got splashed big time lol, i'm waiting to start feeling my toes again before I go back out and look for it. It shouldn't have gotten far after the 4th jug.

Also, it was a straight line, often you see bullets travel around and skip out of the media at odd angles, this was like a laser beam straight thru.
    load is
    193gr SHP
    6.7 800x
    srp
    dominator/beeswax lube

once toes are thawed I will try to return with a picture. the bullet is a beast.

edit well, this isnt gonna happen. No doubt will come up in spring, I'm gonna have to get more milk jugs.

edit again, I couldnt leave it alone, I finally found it lying on top of the snow. Weight is 191 grains, maximum diameter is 0.601 ish. I grabbed some pics next to an unshot one for scale. I wish I would have placed it with that shadow in mind on purpose, later on looking at it I noticed the shadow really helps appreciate the expansion since the lead is gray on gray and doesnt really show the deformation too well, but the black on white from the shadow on the paper is great. This expanded, retained its weight just like a fancy dollar plus per round and then outperformed that round. I'm a fan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2330.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	92961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2331.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	92962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2332.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	92963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2333.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	92964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2334.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	92965
    Last edited by smokesahoy; 01-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Awesome performance! Thanks for working to recover the boolit and for posting the pics.

Boolit Master

WOW, did ya shoot it from a 10mm or 40 S&W?
    I want a pic of you all wet, LOL
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    He says 1.125" oal. Thats 40sw. 10mm is 1.250 iirc, right?

That makes the performance that much more impressive. It was water jugs which is usually a best case scenario for expansion but still, thats a lot of penetration for a 40sw considering the amount of expansion.

The amount of expansion looks a lot like the original 10mm test rounds fired by ctious at just under the speed of light into a deer. Pics of those posed somewhere in this thread.
    Last edited by Oreo; 01-08-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    It sure is a 40. Glock 22 to be exact. I'd sure love someone with a chrono to clock that load too. It's over book but well under pressure signs.

Boolit Master
    Where on earth did you find book data for this boolit?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes that does look pretty close to my bullets I took a deer with. Or should I say Oreos thath sent me Lol.

What was your lead mix?

I am currently running a 3 range scrap to 1 lino. It's a pretty hard bullet that only opens to a large flat now. I shot 3 deer with it this year. Extreme damage.

Boolit Buddy
    I love load development, glad you asked

Well for a boutique boolit there is no book data. I started with 190 grain lyman loads, that wasn't helpful, I checked hodgdon, also not helpful. So using published data I found the difference in water displacement for the 200gr tmj vs the mihec 190WFN using quickloads. Since as far as I know every single other 200gr is much longer than this round I had to adjust the powder for a 100% fill, which was leading me to the large fluffy flake powders.

My previous load development was with TC's and long, when I found out the problem in the magazine I had to adjust this to be shorter for reliable and easier feeding. So using my pressure tests for longer loads I found the max before deformation loading and came down a grain, or about 15%. Then the new pressure tests dealt with decreasing OAL progressively to get down to 1.125. I achieved this while still getting pristine cases so development went next into raising powder. Then I laddered up. I load to 6.7-6.8 (which is still low) because this powder is easy to accidentally throw a little off. At lower loads I get powder in the barrel, but at higher loads the chance for throwing much higher is in the mix and I didn't want to go too much higher so I switched to rifle primers for a more complete burn, which works wonderfully. Even as high as these numbers are, they are still well before pressure. The cases eject looking like they went in, same for the primers. At high loads the extractor dimples the base and ejector scrapes the wall and deforms the mouth. I have a ton of brass but no reason to manhandle it.

The water test was to see if appreciable results were happening with my (if you can believe it) reduced load, as the next step was to start laddering back up to pressure signs. I dunno though, this was one bullet, it might have just been a perfect scenario, it might not be indicative of 95%. Without a chrono and more jugs its just a guess really.

Lead is just salvaged stuff, right now I'm working on a pot of stuff that came from a junk yard and dont know contents. It's water dropped into slushy water and from a batch I made around christmas. Eventually I will use this current setup to start laddering back up again to see exactly where I start having deformations and then for accuracy. This was just a pressure shot, it hasnt been accuracy tested yet. Was accurate enough not to destroy my wifes table, but that's not saying much hehe.

So I hand weigh the tests, and later use the lee volume thrower for production so I want to see where my margin is hence the reason I always check the limits. the carry pistol is always done by hand, each load individually checked for each variable and loaded to the best accuracy point before pressure signs.

thats why I wanted to see as many pics from the deer as I could, that's the one thing I cant test on where I live.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    It sure is a 40. Glock 22 to be exact. I'd sure love someone with a chrono to clock that load too. It's over book but well under pressure signs.
    Factory barrel?
    The very pistol I have, Thanks for all the info.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Buddy
    no its a wilson, not sure how much real world difference there is between barrels.. maybe thats the next test once i dial this in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Ready to start powder coating! My only concern is that these measure .404" diameter. Powder coat adds a couple thou so to end up at .402" these are going to have to be sized down .004" which is do-able but a bit much.

Here is sized to .4005" (micrometer)

Notice the mold parting line has not been sized out. I can feel it with my fingernail but I can't catch it with my fingernail. I'm hoping it is sufficiently covered by the powder coat so as not to be a path for gas cutting when being fired.

Wow, that guy does good work. Do you think he could remove a forward crimp groove and leave the lube groove in place? I have the MiHa 30 cal mold to try on my 300BLK and it really isn't working out. I think it would help the bullet not to have the crimp groove but that might be impossible because I have a gas check base and one lube groove...

Boolit Master
    You need to ask Eric that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ctious View Post
    Why are you getting a line? Is your mold not quite lining up right? Mine leaves no line at all.
    Oreo, have you measure the bullets with the heavy parting line all the way around the boolit? Mine has the same appearance so I did some measuring with a micrometer. I am getting from .402 to .405 around the boolit. So I went and measure a few in the same container from the casting session and had the same results. It was the only first and only time I used this mold. It was .402 on one side of the parting line and .405 on the other so I think I'm having an alignment problem and not an out-of-round issue. You can see it just looking at it after I noticed it with the micrometer.

Boolit Master
    Yep, that sounds like mine exactly.

Boolit Buddy
    For anyone following my load experiments with this round, I am posting that I have an accuracy load dialed in with this bullet.

My alloy drops em about 193 +/- couple (more minuses than plusses, I need to weigh more and get a better average)

I'm still waiting for powder to come in, its running about a week and a half behind the es gun, so still using lube.

A brief history, I am way over book data, but at book data I was getting mouse fart loads that left the barrel lined in powder. I worked up and down on powder loads, changed the OAL all over the place reworking everything each time. I swapped out rifle primers for a better burn. I worked up until my cases started getting mangled in the extraction process to find the max.

I just hit on the magic number though for my process. Hope this helps everyone. I've got a 1.325 inch single ragged hole group at about 20 yards in a few 5 shot groups. occasional fliers which I blame on me at about an inch away from the main hole, not that bad though for me.

standard disclaimers apply... work this load up carefully, it is not published.
    800x 7.4 grains
    1.145"
    SRP

No heavy extraction marks, cases are not deformed at all. primers are fine but wouldn't show anything at these pressures I dont think since they are meant for another platform, if they can be relied on at all even when using the correct ones.

No clue on pressure or velocity. Feels like a hybrid recoil- a stout push like a .45 with a little more snap, but overall very pleasant.

Now that I have the accuracy dialed in, I need to get more gallon jugs.

If anyone with a chrono wants to work this up and measure it, I'd be very grateful. platform is an old police trade in glock 22 with a 4.5" wilson barrel.

thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    For anyone following my load experiments with this round, I am posting that I have an accuracy load dialed in with this bullet.

standard disclaimers apply... work this load up carefully, it is not published.
    800x 7.4 grains
    1.145"
    SRP

No heavy extraction marks, cases are not deformed at all. primers are fine but wouldn't show
    Don't think you'll get many takers on chrono results from this one. Reading primers doesn't work like it does with bottleneck rifle cartridges. You're close to published 10mm data. Be careful and best of luck.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast