Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Buddy
    I can't really think of any that I would like to see. I am more than happy with what we have. Unless he could do a concave pin that would allow us to cast a sharp point. Sure we would have to seat deeper. But cast super hard it would be a car stopper.

Boolit Master
    How about a tiny cup point that wouldn't really aid expansion much but would get you by the hunting regs requiring hollow points?

How about a really deep cone, like to the trailing edge of the grease groove?

Some intermediate sized cones?

Parabolic cavities? Hyperbolic cavities?

I could think of a whole bunch of ideas that would just be fun to experiment with. If the pins are affordable enough it could really allow some lessons to be learned about how to influence expansion characteristics with cavity shape.
    Last edited by Oreo; 12-10-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    How about a tiny cup point that wouldn't really aid expansion much but would get you by the hunting regs requiring hollow points?

That would work. But I don't really want to make my hunting loads any heavier. I am happy that mine come out at lubed shp at 200 on the head.

Aslo casting the shp harder will more or less have that same effect.

Boolit Buddy
    the only thing somewhat tempting would be a penta pin. some of those open up to some very nice petals, but i don't know if that would be any more effective than the deep or shallow hp. i guess i'm totally happy with it as received, if pins were cheap enough i'd probably get a set, but to be honest i havent even experimented with anything else, the shps have me totally satisfied.

i'm testing out vht epoxy paint on mine, lay em hp down and spray em, thats the extent so far.

kind of off topic, does anyone shoot any other style of bullet since they got this mold? i was thinking of selling my missouri bullets or melting them down into this and just having gobs of this one round for the .40.

kinda wish i'd bought a couple molds, but to be honest i'm still just breaking mine in lol.

Boolit Master
    Well, the guy I thought would make some extra pins said his equipment wasn't really up to it. So for now that idea is a bust. I thought it would be a neat way to test different hp cavity shapes in a scientific way using the same alloy, same boolit, same load, etc., just different cavity. But, if there isn't enough interest I'll maybe do it on my own one day.

Boolit Master
    I'm happy with my pins as is, it's a perfect design. I do still cast and load the Lee 175 grain boolit as that mold is just quicker to get a lot of target boolits from.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

I cast the same mold as harley, mine is a TL 6 cavity, cranks out a bunch.
    I do have close to a 1000 of the HPs cast, sized and lubed.
    Our Glocks really like the HPs.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    If the pins from the upcoming 170 GB mould are interchangeable (and it looks as they will be), then I want to try the penta from those in both moulds when that one closes and is received. The shallow HP from the 190 will be equally as nice in the 170 GB mould I'm guessing. I love that shallow HP.

Boolit Master
    Well, someone got me the harbor freight powder coat gun for Christmas. I sent a 190gr mold off to have the lube grooves removed. This should make a nice winter project.

Boolit Buddy
    Working up a load for .40
    I'm getting a little leery here... Ok, so I am working up and looking for pressure. Deformed cases, primer changes of any sort. Test gun is a glock 22, standard spring, wilson match barrel.
    I started at 5.5 grains 800x laddering up with individually weighed charges +0.2 grains 3 shots each until I got up to 6.5, then triple checked +0.1 increases after that. All bullets are weighed and I'm using ones that are less than 1 grain variance.

I'm at 7.0 grains 800x and no signs of pressure at all. I think the bullet being so short (.601) and my oal being 1.14 is throwing me far off manufacture data land. (hodgedon lists 6.1 max with a 1.125 oal and a 0.685 long 200 grain bullet)

The closest form of data on a .601 bullet comes from nosler. They have a .602 180 grain bullet, but no 800x loadings in my manual.

Going further back I have IMR's manual from before hodgedon. They list 180 hdy xtp (.661") grain 7.2, and 200 spr tmj (.650") 6.3 grains. This is the data that is closest to me. So the quest leads in this direction.

Moving into case capacities offset by different length of bullets I see with a 200 grain speer seated to 1.14 has a water capacity of 8.49gn (19.3gn empty, bullet taking up 10.81 when seated to 1.14 oal) So IMR decided that 6.3 was the max safe grain count to fit into the remaining case when using their oal of 1.125. For my data I have 10.05gn empty space. So basically I am finding between my settings and published data there is a 1.5gn difference meaning at 7.8 if all things scaled linearly that is when I would meet the ~safe maximum. But it's not that simple due to more variables than I know of.

So I am at 7.0 now and boy its getting stout. Cases are still pristine, no warping, no hard extractor marks and primers look like they did when they went in.

Why do any of this? Why not. If you are going to reload, why reload to specs you can get out of a box of winchester white label? Why not crush over the counter data?

Anyhow, this is my perfect bullet/powder combination and I am enjoying working all the variables here. I will continue working up to that theoretical maximum but I am positive I will not meet it. At this rate once any pressure signs come up that will be considered the unsafe load, -.1 will be max safe and then I will work down for the best accuracy loading.

I don't like mouse fart loads as you can tell (and I've got several lifetimes worth of powder to use up, why be cheap) if there is any interest on these tests let me know and I will update. I just see a lot of 10mm data on Oreo's awesome wfn, I am trying to fill in gaps for the .40 platform. Already these results are bridging the difference between .40 and 10mm in the manuals and no signs of pressure have shown up.

I might get a 10, I don't really want to get another caliber though, although that would make the most sense considering how invested in .40 caliber I am already. But I haven't yet reached the potential for what I have already.

edit 1/1/14: I started getting pressure signs at 7.4 1.135oal. That's just silly, I gotta get a chrono to check this. Next time I get some spare time I need to work back down from the safe high of 7.3 to find accuracy. 7.4 has some shell malformation at the case mouth, 7.3 is pristine. At lower loads I was getting unburnt powder in the barrel so I dont want to go too much lower. Ideally i'd stop at 7.0 so its a nice even number hehe, but accuracy will dictate.

Oh and for people having issues throwing 800x charges, there is a little rubber insert inside the lee powder thrower that if you remove it throws em a lot more accurate. that in conjunction with a running brass cleaner means not having to tap the charger.
    Last edited by smokesahoy; 01-01-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Working up in a 40 I would bet you would have to get into compressed loads before pressure would be unsafe with 800x.

Clark years ago was putting like 14 gr of 800x in the 40 doing double compression. I would not do this. It was him testing the 40sw case. But he had to get that high to find the breaking point.

Boolit Buddy
    yeah I dont have a welded feed ramp though. I was in the cave making more when one fell into a box of bullets that I hadnt used in ages. 38-40 bullets. and it disappeared. i never really noticed it before but that might be why i like this so much, it is basically a 38-40 with a shallow hp. looks like same meplat and everything.

I dont know why that bullet wasnt more popular in the 40/10. I used to get discounts from dealers selling old stock.

Boolit Master
    I hear there are only two left of 190gr molds. If anybody wants one there is no time like the present!

Boolit Buddy
    Saying out of stock when I try to add it. Oh well will just wait for the next run

Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    Saying out of stock when I try to add it. Oh well will just wait for the next run
    Pm him. His web-store isn't usually up to date. It was out of stock online Tuesday when I contacted him. He had 3, now one less

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys! I sent him a pm. Having a spare sitting around is gonna make me feel all warm and fuzzy

Boolit Buddy
    And then there was 1....

Boolit Buddy
    ok I just got a new Glock 20 10mm. I had originally got the 190 gn mold. It work great in my Glock 22. But I don't have any real data for using this bullet in my 10mm. I looked at a few bullets with data for 175 grain cast lead slugs loaded with w231. A few other loads too. In my estimations 6.0 gns of w231 would seem like a safe load but I have no posted data to go buy. Do any of you guys have any knowledge of what a good starting load with this 190 gn bullet and w213 might be or is my estimated load going to be good to go for a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    ok I just got a new Glock 20 10mm. I had originally got the 190 gn mold. It work great in my Glock 22. But I don't have any real data for using this bullet in my 10mm. I looked at a few bullets with data for 175 grain cast lead slugs loaded with w231. A few other loads too. In my estimations 6.0 gns of w231 would seem like a safe load but I have no posted data to go buy. Do any of you guys have any knowledge of what a good starting load
    with this 190 gn bullet and w213 might be or is my estimated load going to be good to go for a starter?
    I read this thread back a forth a couple times. Is your 190 dropping 190 or about 5grs heavy like everyone else's? I'd use 200gr data if this is the case. If not using a chrono, it's all a guess. Start low, work up.

Boolit Buddy
    Yea...mine runs a bit heavier...but I don't have data for a 200 grain cast bullet either...Yea I know its just a guess

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast