MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master
    I don't know Yondering. I've never used one of these molds before. I'm hoping that I can cast without the locating pins coming unscrewed.

Boolit Grand Master

Wooooo Hoooooo.
    In my mailbox this morning. Now the new fun begins.

Boolit Master

Mine came in, can someone point me to a thread on how to treat this mold and prep it for casting.
    I can not seem to find the thread.
    Thanks Much!
    Never mind, found the "THREADS". LOL
    Last edited by RED333; 11-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Mine came in, can someone point me to a thread on how to treat this mold and prep it for casting.
    I can not seem to find the thread.
    Thanks Much!
    Never mind, found the "THREADS". LOL
    It's easy...now get to work!

Boolit Buddy

trial run, not a full sit down session. Empty case loaded with shallow hp. I posted these on the other thread. WW and range lead mix. Air dropped for my trial run. mold drops well. I weighed but didnt measure the diameter yet. I need to do that though BRB-- ok done-- mine measured out to .403 PERFECT! I am gonna run these without passing through the sizer die. should be excellent!

A shallow HP on the scale from the 190gr mold
    Last edited by Captain_Howdy; 11-13-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added information

Boolit Master
    I cast a dosen myself tonight just to look at them.

First thing I noticed is how cavernous and deep the deep cavity is. It makes me think there's room for an intermediate hp pin, or maybe I'll try shortening one of the long pins one day. It also reminds me of the guy who dropped out of this gb because he didn't think the cavity was large enough. Ha! He wanted a heavy boolit with a big hp cavity for better accuracy at distance / target shooting. So, I'm curious if this boolit will do that well. The hp is pretty darn big & deep.

As is, I think the shallow cavity is the ticket for anything this boolit was meant to do. Especially with these molds dropping 4-5gr heavy. They sure cast & drop easy.

As for dimensions, I get .601" length which is right on the money for the 190gr mold. .404" or .4035" diameter. I'm curious if I can get that to shrink to the .403" blueprint spec by turning up the heat or maybe adjusting the alloy a bit. The difference over the spec probably accounts for 2gr extra weight. I drew the blueprint up a couple grains heavy too so that's where the extra weight comes from.

Overall, its satisfying to have taken this all the way from crude draft to cast boolit. The lessons learned from this my first design & gb will make the next one a bit more refined.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I cast a dosen myself tonight just to look at them.

First thing I noticed is how cavernous and deep the deep cavity is. It makes me think there's room for an intermediate hp pin, or maybe I'll try shortening one of the long pins one day. It also reminds me of the guy who dropped out of this gb because he didn't think the cavity was large enough. Ha! He wanted a heavy boolit with a big hp cavity for better accuracy at distance / target shooting. So, I'm curious if this boolit will do that well. The hp is pretty darn big & deep.

As is, I think the shallow cavity is the ticket for anything this boolit was meant to do. Especially with these molds dropping 4-5gr heavy. They sure cast & drop easy.

As for dimensions, I get .601" length which is right on the money for the 190gr mold. .404" or .4035" diameter. I'm curious if I can get that to shrink to the .403" blueprint spec by turning up the heat or maybe adjusting the alloy a bit. The difference over the spec probably accounts for 2gr extra weight. I drew the blueprint up a couple grains heavy too so that's where the extra weight comes from.

Overall, its satisfying to have taken this all the way from crude draft to cast boolit. The lessons learned from this my first design & gb will make the next one a bit more refined.

The deep hp looks like a monster cavity. Really that option never really interested me. What was your alloy you cast with? Just wondering what mix might be needed to hit the .403. Shallow hp just looks amazing. I would not be surprised if we start seeing some ammo company starting to produce them soon. I think buffalo bore or Underwood would do very well offering a hunting round like this to people.

Boolit Buddy
    I got 403 with mine using ww and range lead maybe 70/30 and i run my melt hot

Boolit Master

Today is Friday in my work week, so I'm even more anxiously looking at my mail box today. Maybe my mold will be in there when I get off tonight.

At first, I didn't like the idea of the shallow hollowpoint. I figured on the deep for defense and the flat for hunting. I started to warm up to the idea after looking at the drawings and decided to order one.

If all goes well, I can test one on a hog within the next month or so.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone using this in .40 or everyone is loading 10mm with this mould.

I don't have 10mm yet but I do have a G27

Sent from rotary phone.
    S.F.4.L
    Last edited by Paulinski; 11-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ctious View Post
    The deep hp looks like a monster cavity. Really that option never really interested me. What was your alloy you cast with? Just wondering what mix might be needed to hit the .403. Shallow hp just looks amazing. I would not be surprised if we start seeing some ammo company starting to produce them soon. I think buffalo bore or Underwood would do very well offering a hunting round like this to people.
    My alloy is totally unknown range scraps with some unmeasured pewter scraps added. Sure cast a purdy boolit, even though the mold was so cold I couldn't cut the sprue.

The deep hp compared side by side with the GoldDot hp looks spot on with the exception that the GoldDot hp has a stepped cone so that it is a little shallower. I'm thinking maybe chuck a long hp pin in a drill and grind a more obtuse point on with a file or stone. That might be better for defense. Still, that shallow hp looks really damn good. The golddot is has a bonded copper jacket so it will resist over-expansion and fragmentation. Our boolit here will probably blow to pieces with such a deep hp but that shallow one I think would be right on the mark with a nice malleable alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    Anyone using this in .40 or everyone is loading 10mm with this mould.

I don't have 10mm yet but I do have a G27

S.F.4.L
    I ordered 3 molds: the 200gr for my 10mm and the 190s for my .40sw

Boolit Buddy
    Mail man has not made it here yet. Unusual for him. Maybe the extra weight of the mold is slowing him down. Or he knows its my mold and is screwing with me. Lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok now something is up. No mail delivered. Checked with neighbors. No.mail either. Odd. We usually always get it by 11 am. Maybe our mail truck was in an accedent. I don't know. Odd. Very odd. And depressing. Might have to have one of u guys mold and send me like 50 of the shallow hps so I can shoot some deer. Hahaha

Boolit Buddy
    Mail finally came. No mold. this is going to make it difficult to get boolets loaded before the weekend now.

Boolit Master
    Pm me your mailing address Citious. I'll help if I can.

Someone with more casting experience should do it instead of me but if I'm the only one willing, I'll make sure you got Boolits for the weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    The help would be cool. But don't go.out of your way. Even.if.it comes next week Monday I will still have it for some of the gun deer season. It's just more likely that I will get to shoot a deer opening weekend and I want to see what that shallow hp does in a deer.

ctious, have you figured out what alloy you'll be using if you get the mold in time? I intend to try air cooled wheel weights, 50/50 ww/pure, and 25:1 lead/tin, but my money is on the 25:1 alloy with the shallow hollow point; it has less tendency to fragment than wheelweight alloys containing antimony. Maybe 20:1 or 16:1 might work better if more hardness is needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    ctious, have you figured out what alloy you'll be using if you get the mold in time? I intend to try air cooled wheel weights, 50/50 ww/pure, and 25:1 lead/tin, but my money is on the 25:1 alloy with the shallow hollow point; it has less tendency to fragment than wheelweight alloys containing antimony. Maybe 20:1 or 16:1 might work better if more hardness is needed.
    I was going to start with a 80 ww 20 pure lead mix with a lil tin added. I have more pure lead so I can up that as I go to see where the sweet spot is. I think on the shallow hp it won't need much pure mixed in to make it work right. The expansion area is small and with the angle that its already open at there is not much expansion that needs to happen. Just enough to open to a flat. If you go too softit will fold past just a flat face.

I am no expert by any means. Just my theory of what would make it work best. Being flat nose boolets kick butt for hunting I think this shallow hp should just make it act like a larger flat.

I shot some lee 175 tc with the above mix and it allowed the nose to expand some but kept together well. Honestly my ww mix I think is a lil softer than most. Can mark it with my finger nail pretty easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ctious View Post
    The help would be cool. But don't go.out of your way. Even.if.it comes next week Monday I will still have it for some of the gun deer season. It's just more likely that I will get to shoot a deer opening weekend and I want to see what that shallow hp does in a deer.
    Damn dude, if I had known this last night I would've cast you up some then

but even if I were to cast some tonight I would not be able to get them in the mail in time for you to have this weekend...not from South Alabama anyways...

I feel like a dick for not thinking of it myself...and I think the American postal service aint what it used to be either. Lots of the postal workers have Burger King IQ's and are getting paid Engineer type salaries. I call ******** on their pay system.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a good looking bullet Oreo, now we just have to shoot some and go from there. It'll be a while for me though.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast