RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master
    Ctious, you push those boolits awful fast and I wonder if that's as much part of the problem. Is there a state law mandating minimum ft-lbs that you're loading for?

45cal expansion doesn't sound excessive considering plenty of people hunt deer with 45 long colt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Ctious, you push those boolits awful fast and I wonder if that's as much part of the problem. Is there a state law mandating minimum ft-lbs that you're loading for?

No min. I was just working on it all summer to get the max performance out of the design. Well the max is a little much. Lol. I could down load them to around 1200 or even 1100 and that would help. I did not shoot a deer out of the carbine yet with the loads. Thank god. Same boolit at another 200 fps would be like a granade going off. Lol.

For next year I will play with slowing them down and or harder mix.

I did snap a pic of one of the holes. With a bic lighter next to it. The hole is 3/4 of the length of the bic lighter across. That was through the rib cage. The was the perm wound channel. So u could imagine what the temp was. As to why so much meat damage was done.

Boolit Buddy
    It's the .45 expantion with the high fps that make the channel. The 45 colt is a slower moving round. Also I am not familiar with a 45 colt round that expands to a full flat. Most colt rounds I have seen are flat nose.

Boolit Buddy
    But this does show one thing interesting. With a 40sw u could easily make this boolit a hunter. And a darn good hunter.

Boolit Master
    What I take from that is that the boolit is well up to the task of defense from two legged critters from the popular 40sw. I'm beginning to get more curious about what the deep hp can do when cast of the right alloy.

There is a 700ft-lb minimum here in MD for deer so I'd have to be driving them almost as fast as you to be legal. I do have the option of the solid nose though.

Boolit Buddy
    What I take from that is that the boolit is well up to the task of defense from two legged critters from the popular 40sw. I'm beginning to get more curious about what the deep hp can do when cast of the right alloy.
    I wonder as well. Although the design of the deep hp and the shallow is night and day. Being the shallow is designed to open to a flat and make a wound channel. And the deep is designed to dump energy into the target.

But if the deep can dump it all within ones body it would be incredible damage.

Boolit Buddy
    I may make some ballistics gel. And see if I can make a vid shooting one of my hunting loads into it so see what it does in the gel. I think it would be very interesting. Seeing I know how it performs in live animals. See if the gel really does provide a good comparison.

Although I would need to make a lot. Seeing the rounds have no issue going all the way through deer up here end to end. Would like to have it stop in the gel.

Boolit Master
    Ctious,try slowing the cup point down to 1100 FPS and stopping it with milk jugs! So far I have gone thru 12 jugs and not captured 1. When it warms up Ill stack up twenty and see what happens!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
    Ctious,try slowing the cup point down to 1100 FPS and stopping it with milk jugs! So far I have gone thru 12 jugs and not captured 1. When it warms up Ill stack up twenty and see what happens!
    Well. I need like 60 plus inchs of gel then. Lol.

Boolit Master
    Every time Ctious fires at a deer from his tree stand and misses a volcano erupts somewhere in China. LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Every time Ctious fires at a deer from his tree stand and misses a volcano erupts somewhere in China. LOL
    I better not miss then. Lol. Well unless we want to get rid of the Chinese. Lol.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to see the pic of that wound channel ctious if you have it still please.

Maybe .40's lower velocities would make this a better meat getter?

I was playing around with quickload and am attempting to get it up to 1070fps in the .40, but it's all software still, so reading as much as I can before I start doing. If I get a 6" barrel for hunting it would be 1130fps by quickloads guess. And that is with unique, i have 800x, pp, #7 too, one of those should be able to maximize the .40 case. pp is showing close to 1190 at 1.15 oal 6"bbl

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    I'd like to see the pic of that wound channel ctious if you have it still please.

Maybe .40's lower velocities would make this a better meat getter?

I was playing around with quickload and am attempting to get it up to 1070fps in the .40, but it's all software still, so reading as much as I can before I start doing. If I get a 6" barrel for hunting it would be 1130fps by quickloads guess. And that is with unique, i have 800x, pp, #7 too, one of those should be able to maximize the .40 case. pp is showing close to 1190 at 1.15 oal 6"bbl
    I would think.800x would get your good fps without too much pressure. Only issue is u may have to compress the load.

As for the pic I do have it. But I won't post it public. It's bloody. Very bloody.

Boolit Buddy
    hehe its just meat, but it's your decision.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    hehe its just meat, but it's your decision.
    It's not just meat. It's blood shot clotted whole side of the deer with a large hole. It goes from the belly to up over the backstraps. If it was not for all the blood I would post it.

Boolit Master
    well we shall hopefully see this spring what this solid version will do on hogs at 1100 FPS. and maybe a bear in the fall!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

All this make me glad I have the mold x 2, I dont hunt with it, just carry it for protection.
    All our Glocks are loaded with them.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    FYI: I have inquired with another machinist about having some additional hp pin styles made available for purchase. I expect there to be many options. More info coming soon.

Ctious, how small of a cavity do you think you need to still qualify under state regs for "expanding bullet"?
    Last edited by Oreo; 12-10-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Oreo;2516562]FYI: I have inquired with another machinist about having some additional hp pin styles made available.[/QUOTE

Like. what?

Boolit Master
    Like whatever you want. I've got a few ideas in mind from way back during the design discussion phase but I'm thinking this guy might be willing to do custom designs on an individual basis.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast