Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

I finally got around to testing some these out. Every round functioned perfectly from a Sig p226. I only tested the HP boolits at the time. I used WSF as my powder, starting at 4.3grns working up to 5.2grns. I saw no signs of excessive pressure in any these. Boolits were sized .0015 larger than slug measurements & lubed with a homemade knockoff off "speedgreen". There was no leading after firing 80 rounds. Here's the #'s
    180grn HP's
    4.3 WSF 824-860fps
    4.6 WSF 852-900fps
    4.9 WSF 907-926fps
    5.2 WSF 973-990fps

185gn HP's
    4.3 WSF 768-781fps
    4.6 WSF 809-840fps
    4.9 WSF 864-890fps
    5.2 WSF 895-924fps

How fast do you guys normally push these out of a 40? I'm new to the 40 w/lead & would like to know.
    Thanks,
    Sig

Here's a video that a friend of mine shot yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_2UtNtubng

9.5gr Blue Dot, New starline cases, CCI #300 primers. Chrono said 1100fps. Shot from my 4.25" S&W 1076.

Bullet alloy was 16:1 From the looks of things, the denim plugged the HP and caused the bullet to run like an FMJ in the gel.

We'll have to try this again with either a softer alloy, use the deep pin, or add another 1/2 grain of Blue Dot and see if we can get the bullet to shake the denim.

Boolit Master
    I don't think you can say no expansion. It looks like it opened up to full wadcutter diameter. That's about what it was designed to do for maximum weight retention. Even a solid will expand if its cast soft enough and driven hard enough.

26" of penetration is pretty good.

Thanks for running the test and posting the vid!

Boolit Buddy
    If u still have that bullet, take a measurement.

Boolit Master

WOW I am impressed, 26 inches, get 2 deer lined and get them both, or 3 zombies.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    My mold won't close the pins that hold the cylinder in started to come out so I tightened them up but it still wouldn't close any ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lukewmtdew View Post
    My mold won't close the pins that hold the cylinder in started to come out so I tightened them up but it still wouldn't close any ideas?

Um. Not sure what u are talking about exactly. Are u talking about the alignment pins or the hp pin arms?

Boolit Buddy
    Pin arms

Boolit Buddy
    I have found that I had to at first leave the pins loose to get it to work right. Then I tokk them out and lightly sanded all the pins. Now it works great with the pins tight. U just might have to play with the arms to get it set right.

Boolit Master

I found mine tight as well, after the mold got hot they worked fine.
    Then tight after it cooled.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Yep in the 2 sessions I've spent with this mold, the faster tempo/hotter you run this mold the better boolits it makes.

I can cast pretty fast when I get in a groove, and I have yet to get it too hot- even to the point where it makes frosties.

Boolit Master

You are right, I dont think you can get it to hot just casting, make a great boolit for our 6 40 cal Glocks.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have frosted bullets in mine. When first using it. I actually had to slow down my pace. I cast about 5 sets a min.

Boolit Master

I just might be slow in casting, not had any frosted that I remember.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I took the Flat point pins out the mold still won't close completely now what take the handles off and see if the mold closes completely?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lukewmtdew View Post
    Well I took the Flat point pins out the mold still won't close completely now what take the handles off and see if the mold closes completely?
    Yes. If it won't close then there is something way wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    For anyone wondering. I tested ballistic coefficient for this boolit. It's .233. Flat nose. 200 gr mold. I will have to do the math on the 190 gr.

Boolit Buddy
    190 is .244.

Boolit Buddy
    So I have a few new things to tell u guys.

First. I figured out how to make the most perfect looking shiny boolits with this mold. It involves cooling the mold for a sec or two on a wet rag before filling it. I have a pile that is almost too nice looking to load up. Lol.

Second. Long range shooting of this bullet. Well I found it shot better than xtps at 100 yards. But a few days ago I found out just how well this bullet will shoot. Out of my ccu. I was doing around 3in groups at 100 yards. My dad came along to shoot and I let him have at it. He shot some clays on the ground then went to the target. He shot 4 times. I said to him, 3in group? He says bs. Holds his hand up showing a quarter. I said yeah right. We walk up thre. He did not shoot a quarter. He shot a dime. All 4 shots cutting into each other. I was in shock. Figured out how he did it. He was able to lock down on the stock where I could not. Today new mounts came to get the scope lower so I could lock down on it. Went and shot. Sure enough. No problem getting a sub 1in group. Amazing. Besides about a 3in poi difference between 2 loads I shot. One being 8.2 longshot and the other being 9.4 gr 800x with shp. Both loads grouped the same size. Loving it. With this shooting that well at 100. I can't wait to get to 200 and see how it holds. That is the max range I would shoot a deer at with it. After that It drops below 450 ft lbs. My personal cut off.

My alloy is ww with 20% pure.

Casted up a new mix of 15 lbs range scrap and 3lbs lino. Seems slightly softer than the ww pure mix. But real close to the same. Smashed a few with a hammer. Should mushromm well. But not over expand out of the carbine.

Boolit Master

Pics or it did not happen
    Good stuff there, thanks.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast