Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surplus powder loading data?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    The 7383 was used in the 50 cal spotter tracer rounds-M48A1 and M48A2, and in the practice round-T249E2.
    IMR-4831 was/is used in the HPT cartridge-T251.
    The above information taken from TM 43-0001-27, dated June 1981.
    7383 had 3 lots as far as I know. RAD-78L, DUW 48001 and DUW 48000. From chronying loads in 06 and 308, comparing to HP WHites velocities I determined I had DUW48000 lot. All three lots had same warning(I guessed for flash over)

CAUTION Do not underload this powder
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I will have to check again, BUT

I think mine is yet another Lot #
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    7383 had 3 lots as far as I know. RAD-78L, DUW 48001 and DUW 48000. From chronying loads in 06 and 308, comparing to HP WHites velocities I determined I had DUW48000 lot. All three lots had same warning(I guessed for flash over)

CAUTION Do not underload this powder
    My post was in response to Jim's post asking which cartridges use which powder, IMR7383 and IMR 4831.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Buddy
    well i am glad the info got here i have over last few years seen it refured to as a 3 base so i finally got involved its a slower type 4831 bulky single base powder my only use of it was with the 50 bmg sabot proj with a 30 cal fmj going about 4300 fps filled the case to top[ press sabot in shot over chrony for a fast reading of 4300

Moderator Emeritus

Something is still amiss. The # you gave (10534781-3) shows the NIIN as assigned 10/12/1977 (way too late to have been in original M48a1 loads) and it being produced by a manufacturer number that is associated with Hercules powders, not IMR. I have given a sample of 2 lots I have here to a friend who works at a large chem plant and he is going to test them for me and we'll have a definitive answer.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Will. Lookin' forward to seein' the results of that.

Boolit Grand Master

Wiljen; Getter done, I want to see the results too. I am wondering did anyone get jugs of this with lot numbers on them, seems like Lindstrum had bought up a bunch that didn't have lot numbers, IIRC.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    Mine didn't have a lot number on it either.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Mine didn't have a lot number on it either.
    same here
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Would you post the lot number for all of us and who you got the powder from?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Would you post the lot number for all of us and who you got the powder from?
    Guess TC was mistaken about the different lot #, hum?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I know the 7383 has been a bit of a mystery to some, especially if we haven't worked with it much. I think I will stick with 860, 870, or 872 for the big capacity J word stuff, and try 7383 with a 311299 in my '03A3.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Thanks for the PM Louis, yes 48001 is one of the lot numbers, am surprised you got some with a lot number on it. Scot
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Something is still amiss. The # you gave (10534781-3) shows the NIIN as assigned 10/12/1977 (way too late to have been in original M48a1 loads) and it being produced by a manufacturer number that is associated with Hercules powders, not IMR. I have given a sample of 2 lots I have here to a friend who works at a large chem plant and he is going to test them for me and we'll have a definitive answer.

Anything yet?
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

nope, this was an as can betwixt and between so we wait.

Boolit Grand Master

patiently waiting, thnx
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

I found out some interesting facts.

1.) Per the tests I had run neither of us (myself or Shady) was 100% correct. It is a double based propellant, not triple. But the two bases are NitroCellulose and Nitroguanidine. It does not based on the tests contain NitroGlycerin.

2.) One of the chemists at the plant I used to test used to work up the road at Radford Arsenal that made the Rad78L lot and shed some light on it.

3.) The number assigned to it being associated to Hercules and the RAD78L lot are correct in that it was produced at Radford Arsenal in Virginia (now owned by Alliant, then Hercules).

They were experimenting with Nitroguanidine at the time to try and cure some of the problems that plagued early 5.56 ammo. The hope was to maintain pressures while lowering flame temp and improving velocity but it was found to be unsuitable for use due to the added bulk.

All the lots tested for me did contain between 4 and 6% Nitroguanidine along with Nitrocellulose and DiNitrotoluene. Two of the lots also showed trace amounts of Dinitrobenzene which is likely a biproduct of DNT creation.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Will
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You might say it is triple base because of the three energy components. If you include the possible byproduct as an energy producer (I don't know if so), that would be a fourth. Toluene by itself would be a deterrent, and nitro-ing it would at least make it contribute something. Obviously, they were looking for a flatter ignition curve in the 223. How it got into the spotter round business is beyond me because of the gigantic expansion ratio as compared to a 22. Fun and games mixing and matching were prolly required to save time to production of the rounds by whomever was going to do it. ... felix

4831? You got to be kidding me, unless the chemists used that formulation as a starter. 4831 always was a single base, and maybe they did use some toluene inclusion as a deterrent of sorts. Very interesting to say the least. Live and learn. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 12-18-2012 at 01:39 AM.
    felix

Here's the question that was sent to a vendor:
    I have 22-250, 243w, 6.5x55, 270w, 7mmRM, 300wby, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r and 8x57 calibers. I am guessing that IMR7383 would be more versatile than WC860 or WC870 but, I would like your recommendations on what cartridges can be loaded to factory or near factory velocities with each powder. I have researched the shooting forums a little and read that IMR7383 has a narrow pressure band and can spike suddenly just over it's sweet spot during load developement. In your experience, is this the case?

Does this answer from the vendor sound consistent with you guys experiences with your lots?
    "The IMR7383 pretty much duplicates ballistics obtainable with H4831, but with less charge weights. It should do fairly well with all your listed calibers except for the 7.62x39"

I wonder why the spikey question wasn't addressed?
    Last edited by johnnybar; 02-21-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: last sentence

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast