Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 1911 grip blanks

Boolit Master

1911 grip blanks

Need to find a source that is reasonably cheap on grip blanks. Walnut will do fine. Reason why I'm looking is, I'm wanting to do some personalized carving. Anybody got a lead?
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I need a couple myself. I want a pair to practice on, inletting an EGA into the grips. My pistol needs some purtying up and a nice small Eagle, Globe and Anchor would look nice. I've found a bushing plug from Fusion firearms that has U.S Marine Corps on it. I've seen those pewter grips with the EGA's on 'em but they're overpriced. I think I could make some that would be better looking than what "they" sell. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Mold
    If you find someone to do this, I have some very curly maple, can I use that to buy in?

Boolit Master

I would definitely let you in for some maple burl, lol...

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master

Found this as soon as I woke up this morning.

http://www.woodheadz.com/store/pc/Scales-c53.htm

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

You might try Eisenbran Hardwoods guys. I don't know the costs but they handle every wood imaginable.

I have a Powermatic bandsaw, router table, a stationary sander, and a few 1911's. Why am I not making scales?
    www.shop.******brass.com
    Offering reloaders quality once fired brass at reasonable prices.

Boolit Master

That's a good question, I'm sure there would be plenty of people here willing to buy some.

Blanks would probably be straight forward. If people want a simple cutout and finish the scales themselves I could probably do that at a reasonable price. I have made a set of grips for my Colt Mk IV series 80; it's time consuming to shape them and fit them to the pistol. I'll work something up in the future and stick it on my website: www.store.******brass.com Of course castboolits members can get a discount (as soon as I figure out how the heck to do that)!
    -Corey
    www.shop.******brass.com

Boolit Master

Lars, might I suggest that when you do the blanks you simply do the location for the grip screws. That would allow even the novice guys to be able to do their own grips. That and offer both officer, and government model sizes.

Sounds good! I could pre-drill the holes and screw on a template. Would you suggest oversizing the grips slightly, or cutting the blank to the finished size? Wood species preferences? Targeted cost? Include screws? I know what I like and how much I'd pay, but I have some strange tastes in style and a very understanding wife!
    -Corey
    www.shop.******brass.com

Boolit Master

I would offer both. But that is entirely up to the one who is offering the scales. I'm sure if you offered them up there would be people who would buy them. I want a couple to shape to the correct profile and then engrave with a elegant design attributing to my military service. But others may simply want to do their own work on nice wood. As for variety, what do you have available? Obviously walnut is a must. But others, such as cherrywood or other hardwoods would probably be welcomed.

I have access to pretty much any species wood I want; domestic and import. I have some walnut, cherry, and maple in my shop as far as domestic species. Not a lot on hand, but there is plenty more at the local lumber dealers. There are a few projects I have to finish up for folks this week, and then I'll throw a sample grip together.
    www.shop.******brass.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have peruvian walnut, cherry, and curly maple all ready to go if anytime wants some. Some are book matched. I run a custom furniture shop so always have scrap! I an working on two desks in birdseye and curly maple right now so have plenty of scrap from that.

Send me a pm if you are interested. Price? Well, shipping plus a couple bucks per set maybe, or $5. I don't care really, other than having a little cash. I would trade too for something.