MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting lead out ?

Boolit Master

Getting lead out ?

So I shot 12 cast rounds through my K98
    Bore is excellent condition and was clean.
    Anywho got lead streaking all the way up.
    I can not get the lead out I have tried nearly everything.
    Butches bore shine, bore brush, Lewis lead remover, Lead out patches, Coppper pot scrubber wrapped around a cleaning brush,
    JB bore paste, shooting jacketed rounds.
    Is there nothing that will remove the Lead, it is not thick but it is steaked all through the bore.

HELP !!
    Last edited by hylander; 11-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Shoot some low velocity rounds to clean it up, then size your boolits properly. Yours sound like they are too small.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Shoot some low velocity rounds to clean it up, then size your boolits properly. Yours sound like they are too small.
    How low of Volocity ?
    I was told by a cast reloader at the range that the leading might be caused
    from the first loads being to low of volocity, they clocked at about 1425.
    I don't know as I am new to this.
    I did a quick slug of the bore it appears to be .324
    The bullets I used measure .324

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    How low of Volocity ?
    I was told by a cast reloader at the range that the leading might be caused
    from the first loads being to low of volocity, they clocked at about 1425.
    I don't know as I am new to this.
    I did a quick slug of the bore it appears to be .324
    The bullets I used measure .324
    Generally you want the boolits to be .001 to .002 larger than groove size -- if the size you gave was groove diameter, then you should be sizing to .326. That velocity should be fine for plain base with a correctly fitting boolit, assuming you're using an alloy with reasonable hardness (50/50 wheel weights and pure lead, for instance).

Leading usually comes from either an undersize bullet, or pushing the velocity too high.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Yep, it's clear now that your boolits are too small in diameter. Size them right, shoot, and your barrel will be clean. Once you get the right size boolit, you will be able to increase your velocity substantially.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies.
    I will have to see if I can find someone to cast me some bullets .326
    I don't cast and so far this is the only bullet size I can find.

Any Idea how to get the lead that is there out ?

Boolit Grand Master

Try Hoppe's #9 and let it soak overnight. You may not get the streaking out as there may be very small pits holding in the lead. If it is just this try shooting some jacketed and see if still exists.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Try Hoppe's #9 and let it soak overnight. You may not get the streaking out as there may be very small pits holding in the lead. If it is just this try shooting some jacketed and see if still exists.
    Shot 15 jacketed rounds with no luck.

Boolit Master
    Place a jag tip on a cleaning rod with a cloth patch---then place a 1" square of aluminum flyscreen---that will remove the lead. It has to be tight. You may have to use a few pieces as the flyscreen will become mangled with use. An Outers Foul Out will also do the trick, but I am sure if you had one you'd have used it.

Also, if you have access to a somewhat softer alloy, this might help as well. Even if your boolit's a hair small, obturation can save you. This happened for me with some slightly undersized boolits; once I hit enough pressure in my load to "squuush" that boolit tightly against the rifling, the lead streaks went away.

But proper sizing, along with proper lubing, is King.

To get the existing lead out, you might try slugging your bore. I've done this in the past, and it has pushed out all the lead streaks, even when it was pretty severe leading. The idea with the screen is a good one as well. Some "Chore Boy" copper scrubbing pad will work just as well as the piece of aluminum screen.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master
    So I shot 12 cast rounds through my K98
    Bore is excellent condition and was clean.
    Anywho got lead streaking all the way up.
    I can not get the lead out I have tried nearly everything.
    Butches bore shine, bore brush, Lewis lead remover, Lead out patches, Coppper pot scrubber wrapped around a cleaning brush,
    JB bore paste, shooting jacketed rounds.
    Is there nothing that will remove the Lead, it is not thick but it is steaked all through the bore.

HELP !!
    What bullet lube are you using?
    I cast and load for 11 rifle calibres and use Lee Liquid Alox for all of them (2 coats) and I don't have leading problems.
    ukrifleman.

Boolit Master
    Tried the screen, Chore boy, and slugging, didn't even touch it.
    I just tried some Navel Jelly, that got a bit of it.
    There is still streeks all the way down the bore.
    Going to go get some kroil and look for some automotive engine lead remover
    to try.

Is this "lead" streaking effecting accuracy? If not keep shooting. IMHO with everything you've tried to remove the streaking are you certain is lead?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Be sure you get all the corrosive stuff out that you've put in! Someday, the patch will come out clean!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Is this "lead" streaking effecting accuracy? If not keep shooting. IMHO with everything you've tried to remove the streaking are you certain is lead?
    Only fired 12 rounds and accuracy was fine, Also after the 12 I switched to Jacketed rounds and accuracy was fine.
    Yes it is lead, barrel was spotless before shooting the cast bullets.

Be sure you get all the corrosive stuff out that you've put in! Someday, the patch will come out clean!
    If you mean corrosive cleaners, nothing in there.
    I have never shot corrosive ammo in the rifle.

I'm not going to shoot anymore of the .323 bullets I have.
    I'm bidding on some .325 bullets on Gunbroker, hope I get them.

Super Moderator

...............As RU shooter alludes to, if accuracy isn't effected why bother? I fail to understand after all you've done that lead streaking is still there? A correctly sized lead slug that is sufficiently lubed should leave the bore somewhat darkish. I used to shoot every Tuesday, and every Tuesday competed in an offhand cast boolit match. It was 10 rounds @ 50 yards, iron sights, offhand for score. I'd normally use a different rifle each week but my favorite was my 03A1 Springfield. The load was the Lyman 311284 over 23.0grs of H4198 + dacron for ~ 1650 fps.

I mention this rifle specifically as I shot it often enough I'd always load 100 rounds and kept them in a MTM box. I suspect I had over 500 rounds through it without cleaning the barrel. Wipe it down with a silicone impregnated cloth and put it up. One Tuesday it began opening it's group. I figured it was finally time to clean it. At home I had it sitting in the cradle, and commenced to run a bristle brush with Hoppe's up and down through the barrel. I finally noticed something was a bit amiss. Turns out my accuracy issues were loosened action screws, as the bbl'd action would faintly clunk a bit back and forth with the action of the brush.

If your accuracy remains then you don't have an issue. You may eventually if the wash you mention in the bore is a dull grayish color. That to me indicates a lack of, or the incorrect lube. On the other hand, a load producing only 1400(ish)fps could probably be lubed with Vaseline and do fine. Chore Boy copper pads sure oughta take it out. You can also use steel wool. It's a mild steel that will have no effect on barrel steel at all. However if Chore Boy doesn't do it, I'd patch it, oil it and put it up and not worry about it.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Well I have tried everything short of the electronic thing, so I give up.
    I am just going to shoot the thing and hope for the best.
    The streaking is in the last 4-6" @ the muzzle end.
    I do appreciate all the suggestions.

Could be you have a bore with a slight reverse taper. For example one of my Krag rifles slugs .308" just forward of the throat, but .310" up near the muzzle. .002" in 30 inches isn't bad for 19th century machining, but. Once the bullet is squeezed down to bore diameter at the throat, up near the muzzle I get gas blowing past the bullet, and slight leading. However, keeping the pressure up enough to get the bullet to obturate a bit makes for an accurate load. Loads using fillers (not recommended with fast burning powder like 2400) prevents the blow by too. Looks like the first group may have been too low in pressure to obturate and with the other two groups, you had enough pressure and good results. Something to look for.

Oh, Naval Jelly is phosphoric acid. It can leave a hygroscopic (water attracting) film in your barrel, so be sure you get it all out and oil well.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Well I have tried everything short of the electronic thing, so I give up.
    I am just going to shoot the thing and hope for the best.
    The streaking is in the last 4-6" @ the muzzle end.
    I do appreciate all the suggestions.
    You know I believe it may be something else not brought up yet. I have a couple of rifles (old originals) with really nice bores that do the same thing. No matter how hard I try I can't get to that last, clean patch. I thought about it for quite a few years, quit fighting it and just learned to live with it.

It could be a lead/copper/carbon/rust mix that is extremely hard. It could have accumulated over many years because of simple and incomplete cleaning. The stuff seems so hard in fact that no manner of mechanical scrubbing will touch it and even the strongest chemicals simply dissolve microscopically thin layers and leave the residue on the patches with each pass. That accumulation may be sitting in the grooves or up against the edges of the lands so is, by nature, very difficult to get at mechanically. Yet another possibility that I thought of is that the patch residue, that won't go away, could be due to the type of steel used in some barrels- where the chemical bore cleaner is simply dissolving some of the steel off the surface of the bore

Now with those rifles that do that, I clean them as best as I can and with the same routine as the others. I have noticed it doesn't get any worse as long as I stay with the proven cleaning routine. Whatever it is, it seems to have reached an equilibrium so has little affect on accuracy. Plus, to really get at the problem may do more damage than good by simply wearing down the lands even further- thus prematurely aging the bore.

Just some thoughts and possibilities.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 11-09-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Banned

a couple of full house jwords will take care of it.

does it affect accuracy? if not forgetaboutit