RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: FN Scar!

Boolit Master
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Ah, nice. I saw the title and thought for a moment this was related to "magnum eyebrow."

Boolit Buddy
    Just as an FYI, FWIW, etc, my SCAR 17 seems to do OK with cast. I haven't really had a chance to do serious testing (I've only had it a few months) but I was trying cast in another rifle, had some left over, and gave them a try. RCBS 30-165-Sil over 28 grains of Varget; and Lyman 311466 with 27 grains of IMR 3031 operated the rifle fine and shot about 1.25" at 50.

Boolit Master
    My SCAR 17 is still new in the box under my bed. But I have been using my FNAR Light with 200 grain Lymans and WC surplus powders. I am getting 1 to 1 1/4 inches for 5 shots at 100. Wich, for me, is just fine for hunting. Good thing is, that load shoots equally well out of my DPMS LR-308. The FN has nite vision on it and the DPMS is scoped with a Leupy.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    The SCAR is not designed for lead bullets. While I shoot cast in a M1 garand dedicated to shoot lead bullets only, the issues with gas operated systems and cast bullets is not optimum for a far more complex system like the SCAR or AR platforms. If you plunk $2K into a SCAR and can't afford to feed it FMJ, get rid of it and get a rifle you can afford to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Can the gas system adjustment nut allow one to close off the vent entirely making it operate as a straightpull?

I remember one FN I used a bit that required the nut be turned almost completely off when using some matchgrade Winchester ammo, otherwise gas port pressure was far too high causing permature attemps at opening which could yank the rims right off.