Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Power Pistol and 110g cast in M1 Carbine

Boolit Buddy

Power Pistol and 110g cast in M1 Carbine

Info is limited on any powders but the common ones for the .30 M1 carbine loads. I got a bunch of Power Pistol and 110 gr Lee 309-110R boolits around so I tested some.
    Warning: venturing outside of published loads is SUPER DANGEROUS and according to the google-box, you will blow yourself up, destroy firearms and stain the carpet all at the same time! Don't do this at home or on the range.

Since the 30 carbine and the 357 mag are very similar in case capacity, I used the 357 as a reference.
    Power Pistol is a medium slow powder made for high pressures and works great in magnum cartridges. In fact most people think Power Pistol is too flashy (a property from being too slow and having powder still burning as the bullet has exited the barrel.). Well, try using Alliant 2400 in a pistol! talk about flash! I tried it in .40 once and got anemic velocity and a fireball. But I digress.

Published loads for the 357 range up to 9.7 grains of Power Pistol with a 110gr lead boolit. Published pressure for that is 32000PSI according to my Lee manual.
    SAAMI max for 30 carbine is 40000 PSI, so I'm looking to stay within the same ranges.
    Now the 110gr 30 carbine has more friction than the 110gr 358 because of the larger bearing surface. I also have a gas check on the cast boolit, so I'm gonna play it safe and start very low and just go up to where I get functioning of the CMP Inland 30 Carbine. I'm not worried about getting max velocity, just a usable round for the carbine that works with the cast and is not so darn loud as factory loads. I've always felt that the M1 carbine would be nicer to shoot if it wasn't as LOUD. (I'm getting more sensitive to noise, not sure why.)

So starting lower than I thought necessarry (which is often just fine for me!), I went with 4 grains of PP. I was going to try up to 8 gr but had second thoughts after seeing nearly a full case of fast powder in the case! So test loads were 4 to 7 grains.
    DATA:
    Mixed 30 carbine brass, mostly LC in the 50's.
    Wolf small rifle primer.
    Lee 309-110R cast boolit, with Hornady gas check.
    Scrap linotype lead with some scrap bird shot mixed in, pretty hard for cast.
    Lubed with LLA. Sized to .309".
    Inland M1 carbine with a Inland GM barrel.
    5 shot strings

Grains powder, Hi, Low, Average, Spread, SD, notes

4gr, 1312fps, 1297fps, 1305fps, 15fps, 6, mild-ejected 2'-did not cycle.

5gr,1460, 1439, 1449, 21, 8, mild recoil and noise- ejected 2' did not cycle.

6gr, 1664, 1626, 1639, 38, 16, ejects 2.5'- CYCLED NEXT ROUND- easy to shoot

7gr, 1780, 1756, 1769, 24, 10, CYCLED NEXT ROUND- not as loud as factory rounds- still mild recoil.

At 7gr I notice the primers are flattening out a bit compared to the 4 grain LIGHT load. No overpressure signs, the fired cases fit in the case gauge and do not need to be trimmed. I see no reason to go any faster/hotter.

I did not have time to shoot groups, and now that I have a good starting point I can work up an accurate load.

While you still need hearing protection for these, they are way more quiet than a full pop factory round, and still plenty fast enough for varmint hunting/self defense/plinking or whatever you use your M1 for.

Boolit Buddy
    Cleaned the M1 carbine later and found no leading. Lube I'm is using Liquid Lee Alox. The lube was tumbled on pretty thin.
    Still haven't had time to load up any for accuracy. And the weather just got bad, so it may be a while.

Boolit Grand Master
    Learn something new every day--I had not thought to try Power Pistol in to 30 Carbine. I'll be checking back for an up date. Very interesting.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I run power pistol in 9mm up thru 44 mag it seems to work well enough and keeps the number of powders i need to buy down

it is a very useful powder , I wish there was more data for it , it meters so well in a lee auto disk

I don't load 30 carbine but thanks for adding to the power pistol data pool

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at this load in QuickLoad 3.6, it shows my Power Pistol is 10% more energetic than the assumed powder.