MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lee molds -- is this why they're less expensive?

Boolit Master

New Lee molds -- is this why they're less expensive?

My new molds came in today's mail -- the TL-314-90-SWC intended for rabbit loads in my Mosin Nagant, and the C309-180-R, to become paper patched hunting bullets in the same rifle.

The 90 grain mold had a paper strip wrapped around, indicating it was "inspected by Shirley" and warning me to lube the mold before use; the cavity is sharp and shiny, vent lines on the mating faces are crisp; the only flaw I've noted so far is a small burr on one of the alignment ridges, which is easily removed and doesn't appear to affect mold closing.

The 180 grain mold, on the other hand, has no "inspected by" band, and look as if it might have actually escaped inspection; both cavities have the burrs I'd expect if the cherry were run with the mold incompletely closed (and there was an aluminum shaving between the mold faces when I first opened it, suggesting that might have actually happened). I have no way to know for certain until I cast with it, but it seems likely this mold will cast undersize and out of round by something like the thickness of the shaving that held the blocks apart during the cut, once the burrs are cleaned up.

Now, in this case, I'd be pretty happy if the mold throws .003 or even .005 under, since I plan to size these boolits down to .301 or .302 for paper patching anyway -- but if I wanted .309 boolits to fit a .308 or .30-.30, I might be a bit annoyed, since an inspection by Shirley would certainly have caught this mold and either rejected it or sent it back for rework (ten seconds with the original cherry after cleaning up the burrs).

Now, given what I paid ($60 shipped for two molds with handles and a Lee push-through sizer in .314), I'm not screaming; I'm pretty sure I can remove the burrs at the cavity edges without damaging the cavities or leaving "fins", but a) I shouldn't have to, and b) it suggests Lee is skimping on quality control (in that apparently Shirley and her colleagues aren't inspecting every single mold that comes off the machines).

Boolit Master
    Hahaha, the second pic makes me believe the two cavities are different depths. Could be camera optical illusion but I would be suprised if it were true coming from LEE molds.

Boolit Master
    I had to return my first Lee 6-hole mold, which had the famous Shirley sticker in the box, as the tops of the blocks didn't match up, leaving a seriouos flash around half the base. I suggested "Shirley" get new glasses. I am of the opinion that every inspector at Lee is Shirley, or that Shirley is the only inspector, as I have never seen another name on any of the several molds that have the inspector tag with them.

Boolit Master
    Good luck. Lee has always done right by me when I've had to return stuff.
    -Jess, also in VT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Hahaha, the second pic makes me believe the two cavities are different depths. Could be camera optical illusion but I would be suprised if it were true coming from LEE molds.
    No, they're the same (at least to eyeball precision): what you're seeing is perspective from the camera angle, chosen to make the burrs more visible.

I may give Lee a call after work on Monday and see what they suggest -- on the one hand, a mold that casts a little undersize would be good for what I'm doing with this mold, but on the other hand, I'm concerned that if I try to fix it and fail, they won't take it back, and there's nothing gained by casting out of round.

Banned

i'd try it before passing judgement.

i have seen some new molds coming out from lee.
    better alignment pins [o-k actual alignment pins] and some better looking cavity's.
    just waiting for them to fully switch over.

Yeah, I've stuck with their 6-cav. in pistol calibers, but I am actually pretty excited to see the new 2-cav. they are coming out with.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Wow... that is a lot of burrs...

they may just rub off with some hardwood stick and a good rubbing...

but in side that alignment groove looks wonky
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I would just send er back. Lee will make it rt. I would get a new one just in case. That way they can never say you made the changes to the die.
    Good luck.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I'm definitely going to call Lee on Monday -- I don't need this mold immediately (have to make a .301 push-through die, now that I have the .314 Lee die to copy), so if I have to send it back, I won't lose casting time; I may ask if they've got any returns that were significantly undersize but otherwise okay that they'd give as an exchange (I'd expect those get melted down pretty promptly, but you never know).

Marlin, all the cut edges on the right block have burrs, including the alignment groove that matches to the steel rod, as well as both top and bottom milled surfaces. I'm convinced this mold had a cutting between the faces that got there when it was closed on the cherry and stayed through all subsequent operations.

In a way, this is a confidence builder for me; I've been thinking about making molds on my lathe, and there's no way they'll ever have this problem because lathe cutting is done with the (already aligned/pinned and faced for top and bottom) blocks clamped throughout, rather than by closing the blocks on the spinning cherry. I just need to come up with a good way to cut the handle grooves parallel to the faced surfaces (a table saw with a nice tight fence would work, but I don't own one of those; maybe I can build a router table to do the job).

Boolit Master

I thought Lee lathe bored their moulds, rather than cherry cutting them, has this changed?
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

Hmm. Maybe they do, but the top and bottom appear to be milled, and the vent grooves in the mating faces look to be cut with a fine engraving cutter (or possibly pressed in). I don't know how I'd tell whether they're lathe cut or cherry cut, but this kind of problem is one I wouldn't expect on a lathe, because it is (or should be) easy to ensure there's nothing between the faces when clamping them to mount in the lathe.

BTW, looking again in a better light, I found a number of additional aluminum particles, some of them matched to indentations on the opposite face -- there was clearly significant clamping force applied after those particles got in there.

Super Moderator

.............Lee moulds are lathe bored in a CNC machining center. About 3 weeks ago I bought a Lee C-309-200-R 2 cavity (Midway). The blocks had aluminum smeared across the parting line. With the SP swung open and looking down into the cavities, both had burrs thrown up on the left hand edge (figuring the blocks were rotating counterclockwise, relative to the tools) of the 2 cavities. I'd been there and done that before, so broke out the Leementing tools.

As it turned out it was no help. With the proud metal removed, and then checking the blocks there was daylight between them. Another carefull once over with a loupe looking for pig's ears, possibly left over between the blocks after my cleanup, showed nothing. I then put the blocks between 2 piece of leather in the bechvise and cinched'er down. Daylight was still there. They're currently off to Lee with a short note as to their problem.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

It sounds as if the mold halves are bearing on alignment pins, preventing the mold to close properly. Since the cavities are lathe turned with the halves not fully closed, the boolits should still be perfectly round. The small gap could actually be a blessing in disguise improving venting. Of course if the gab is too big you'll have flashing. Also, the gap could very well close up during extended use, resulting in an out of round boolit.
    Cap'n Morgan

My first mold was lee it also would not close completely out of the package. I called them and they suggested a little lube on the pins as they do something (forgot what it is called this early in the morning) after being boxed up that can be cured with just a light amount of mold lube applied. I did as they instructed and haven't had a issue yet. As I recall I had to boil it in hot soapy water as usual then dry it warm up the mold and let any residue from the cleaning and or protective coating that was applied at the factory "burn" off. Then apply mold lube to the alignment pins and sprue plate. All the issues I had have left and it is a fairly good mold. Compared to the other lyman ones I now have.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............Lee moulds are lathe bored in a CNC machining center. About 3 weeks ago I bought a Lee C-309-200-R 2 cavity (Midway). The blocks had aluminum smeared across the parting line. With the SP swung open and looking down into the cavities, both had burrs thrown up on the left hand edge (figuring the blocks were rotating counterclockwise, relative to the tools) of the 2 cavities.
    Buckshot, this is exactly what I have -- metal carried over at the parting line by the cutter, both in the cavities and on the top and bottom faces. Regardless of cause, this is surely because the mold faces weren't in contact when cut. I do see light through the gap between faces, based on my experience with fountain pen nibs it's .001 to .002 gap, though it might be worse if I were to clean up the carry over on the top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    It sounds as if the mold halves are bearing on alignment pins, preventing the mold to close properly. Since the cavities are lathe turned with the halves not fully closed, the boolits should still be perfectly round. The small gap could actually be a blessing in disguise improving venting. Of course if the gab is too big you'll have flashing. Also, the gap could very well close up during extended use, resulting in an out of round boolit.
    In this case, where I found aluminum cuttings between the halves, some of them with corresponding indentations in the opposite face, I think it's them rather than the alignment pins -- and that means the blocks will/may close up further after cleaning up, leading to out of round and undersize boolits.

At this point, I'm not going to make any effort to fix this myself, at least before talking to Lee; this is one of my first two molds and I have no experience to guide me on what will and won't clean up to make good boolits (and no offense, but I'm getting conflicting answers from the experienced folks here); in any case, it's clear that Lee Precision needs to clean up their quality control a bit, which requires they see what got past their inspection regimen without my prior efforts to clean up after them. If they tell me I have to pay UPS to get the mold to them, I might reconsider (since shipping would be roundly half what I paid for this mold), but if they'll send me a prepaid RGA label, I'll send it off without further thought.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee molds have been cut on a CNC mill one side at a time for well over a year now. The Lee Makarov Group Buy was some of the first molds cut this way. It had to be done again because the center of the boolit was not the part line of the cavities. Was off by about .020".

I would call Lee or e-mail them the pictures of the mold.

I recently bought 2 6 cavity molds that are the nicest I have ever seen from Lee. Most of the boolits drop fom the cavities when the molds are opened.

Boolit Master

I was going to call them this afternoon, after work, but I so gobsmacked after stopping at the bank on the way home -- I needed to find out what check style I could order that would get me 50 checks at a time instead of 140 or 200 (when you write 13-14 checks per year, at most, having a ten year supply is a significant security risk), and they apparently no longer offer that quantity, and the help at the bank branch don't even know for sure -- that I forgot to call. I'll try e-mailing them with the photos and see what I get back.

I know Lee changed their alignment design recently, but I have no way to know how old this mold is; given the type of defect, it certainly seems to have been cut with either a lathe or cherry, with the halves together, rather than one side at a time. Might have sat in stock at either Lee or the retailer; no way to know.

Boolit Master

Okay, I've exchanged a few e-mails with Andy Lee at Lee Precision. He thinks it's a used, returned mold (sees something he thinks is a lead splash, though I'm not sure I agree) -- used, but never cleaned or lubed, apparently, and then resold by the retailer, which doesn't bode well for my continuing relationship with them -- and that's why it was missing the inspection band. Given the shipping cost to return the mold would be about 2/3 what I paid (it won't quite fit in a small Flat Rate box, and the medium is eleven bucks to ship), and with his technical assistance, I'm going to, first, clean and lube the mold and cast some test bullets to see what effect the burrs have, then if there's a problem, I'll skim the burrs off with a razor blade (carefully, to avoid "fins" on the bullet) and try again.

I should be able to test cast by next Monday (all I still need is a ladle, I'll find something I can adapt at the local thrift stores or the dollar store); then I'll see where I stand.

Lee makes cheap stuff, just a fact. I expect little for the cheap price & will hope for the best. If I really want it right, I buy something else & am happy to pay more for quality. That goes for all of Lee's stuff. I use some of it but really, it is poorly done for the most part & price reflects that.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast