WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What are your lube "Performance Parameters"?

My 2cents. I think 1 problem is adding ZDDP or Polybutene or whatever is not the only addition. We (you) can only get it as an additive to something else, unless you get a few metric tons or barrels. Felix and other lubes have known ingredients with known (?) characteristics.
    I did look into the characteristics of the polybutene. It breaks down with pressure and heat to a non-tacky, non-lube 'stuff'; i.e. works for initial bang and then is kaput? No way to verify this. Another comment I see a lot is that vegetable oils don't work. They take temp and pressure better than mineral oils. Problem with oxidation? Yes, but how long does this take? I shot 30-30 loads left in the garage this Texas summer for > 1 month, through a bbl uncleaned for 1 month. Doesn't kill the powder that I can tell. POI was just HIGH. Yes, a fog comes out the muzzle. Even in 308 AR, the action is easy to clean, minimal blow back. Low viscosity and good VI. It may not be the best but it does work, doesn't shoot right or left like LLA, recluse, peanut butter (which works fine but is messy hand lubing). Quit the fairy tales, there only good for kids.
    My addition to the list, although it doesn't fit your method, would be to lose the lubrisizer. I would guess that 50% of those on this forum don't have one and don't intend to get one. NOT meant as a negative statement at all. Respectfully to those doing the testing, you appear to be getting some good results, can this be applied to the rest of us?

Banned

yes.
    some of the ingredients that have been tried have been discarded simply because of availability.
    the search has been for off the shelf ingredients from the start.
    we have had to go to extremes at times to find out what the property's of the additives were/are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    yes.
    some of the ingredients that have been tried have been discarded simply because of availability.
    the search has been for off the shelf ingredients from the start.
    we have had to go to extremes at times to find out what the property's of the additives were/are.
    Well said. Covered that one in #11 of the OP.

It is very conclusive when you can take a formula, add one pure, isolated ingredient, and observe the effect. If you add, say, bar and chain oil, who knows what component has any effect? Is it the heavy, bright stock? The tackifier? Polymers? But if you have the individual stuff on hand, you can directly observe what it does. Once we figure out what exactly we need, then off-the-shelf products (many containing two or more desirable components in one product) can be selected for use.

I think we have a good list to go off of, now it's up to each of us to interpret it with our own individual guns and components and come to a consensus. I shot .45 ACP and 7mm-08 today with the Yellow Jacket lube and it worked great, time to take it up a notch.

Gear

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234