Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Cute little Lyman rifle

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Cute little Lyman rifle

I was in town today and since I was close to the gun shop I dropped by to look around . They had what looked like a little Sharps rifle on the wall and the man showed it to me . It was chambered in the Hornet round and made by ARMI as the tag said . For as well as it was finished I was pretty sure that Lyman couldn't have made it . I don't know how it would shoot and though it was neat I wasn't going to spend the money on it to find out .

I did look very nice though

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

I ordered one for a friend and we have shot it quiite a lot. Aside from the usual teething problems with the Itie guns they are good little shooters. He now has one in 218 Bee and one in 30-30 and the 30-30 in a 5 1/2 pound gun is a handfull with hunting loads. The Bee is shooting right around an inch at 100 yards with a Malcolm 3X scope.

Now that is good to hear The price was pretty steep I was hopping it would shoot for somebody and not just be another pretty face .

Jack

Boolit Bub
    Bought one earlier this year in 38-55 for my wife. She loves it and I enjoy shooting it as well. Shoots very well with the Lyman tang sights. It is also drilled and taped for scope bases.
    Support Our Troops
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master
    Got one in 38-55..........After some teething pain with too small and too hard lead bullets.....I got it shooting extremely accurate. Mine came with a William Malcolm 6X short period correct scope that the PO had installed. Removed it and found it to be more accurate with the Lyman tang sight.

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Mmmm, I so want one in .22 Hornet!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Have ya got twelve hundred bucks plus shipping , tax and whatever else the store tags onto it ? I can tell ya where to find it .

Jack

I have wanted one since Lyman introduced it..... Every Mini Sharps I have found was 38/55 and I want a Hornet!
    I am one gun away from happy

Boolit Master
    C&F Guns in Middleboro MA has one on the rack in 22 Hornet.......$1150.00
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

That's about a hundred bucks or so cheaper than the one here .

Now ...... you guys with the wants , grab your checkbook and belly up to the bar

Jack

Boolit Mold
    Hell'o all. This is my first post, so when I ran across this Post, I will add;
    I have the Lyman Little Sharps in 38/55 and it's turned out to be a real shooter.
    Am using 240gr RN FP BB cast boolits sized .379 in front of 2200 powder. I only shoot 3 shot groups and can see no good reason to shoot 5 shot groups. ( waste of $.$$ IMHO )
    I have a Unertl Vulture 10X with custom bases made by Steve Earle as the scope set to far forward and didn't want to drill more holes in the barrel.
    I first started at 50 yds and found 4 loads that shot approx 1/2" and it didn't seem to matter if the load was on the light side or ( 950 fps or 1150 fps ) heavy load, it just shot about the same.
    Then went to 100yds and was hoping for 1" groups but came up a little short. One or two hit the 1" mark but not every time. I shot many groups and the over average was 1"in- 6/8's.
    I think that's pretty good for a 6lb rifle with a 10X scope.
    2400 Powder > In 2000 Accurate came out with Data Powder 2200 and after talking to them, it look like that this was a good powder to try out. Purchased with 3 other shooters a 8 lb jug.
    Great results in 45/70--38/55--30-30-- and a bit of a shock the .223. I then purchased 2-8lb jugs and just opened the second one. Haven't tried to find more as this 8 lb will last me a long time. I only have two rifles now that I load for ( 38/55 & 45 Long Colt for my 1966 Winchester Yellow Boy.
    Well that's about it for now. I don't Post a lot but read about everything. I'm retired so all I do is give the lady of the house a hard time and go shoot. Some days I think she wants me to go to the range.

Boolit Master
    On my Uberti 38/55 I had to use .382" bullets and they had to be softcast, bevel base bullets don't work well for me either. Vultures were made for boltguns originally, but your gun seems to be doing well right from the outset...good shooting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
    I have wanted one since Lyman introduced it..... Every Mini Sharps I have found was 38/55 and I want a Hornet!
    Bud's has one for $1101.00.