RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: , 4 cavity brass Cramer style mold

Boolit Master

, 4 cavity brass Cramer style mold

I have just received a machining gem in the mail. It is a WEBLEY 455-265-HB mould, 4 cavity brass Cramer style mold.

Having never used a Cramer style mold I have a number of questions before I fire up the lead pot.

1) I assume the hollow base inserts can be inverted and these molds can be used to cast a heavier plain base bullet. Is that a correct assumption?

2) What are the critical lube points on this mold?

3) What is the procedure for removing cast bullets from the mold after the sprues have been cut? Do the hollow point alignment pins slide out to release the bullet, or does one have to push them out? If they have to be pushed out, what is the best method.

I have cast bullets for almost 50 years but this is the first hollow base mold of this style I have ever seen or used and I fear damaging it. It is a machining marvel and in the realm of metal artwork. I want to get a heads up on the best way to use this mold without inadvertently damaging it.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a little picture tutorial on how to handle these:

http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr..._style_casting

I have several of these. I lube the shafts that hold the hollow base where they go through the mold blocks (one drop on each shaft).

I have had excellent results with using mold release on the hollow point (in my case, hollow base in yours). It helps to release the bullets if they are a bit sticky).

One more thing - loosen the shafts a fraction of a turn from the hollow base pin. This allows the pins to be self aligning.

Of course, do as the tutorial suggests and pre-heat the molds. I use a hot plate with a solid steel burner top.

I LOVE these molds...

Dale53

Boolit Master

Thank you for the tips. I will start the way you suggest.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...