Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rem 721 in 30-06

Boolit Master

Rem 721 in 30-06

Im about to fall for an older model 721 in 30-06....fair condition say 80%
    The gunshop wants $340.00 for it...which sounds about right to me but your opinions would be appreciated
    thanks
    atr
    ps....Im thinking of then converting this to a 35 Whelen
    Last edited by atr; 10-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Master

That sounds about right on the price. What is the condition of the rifle? I have a 722 in .222 and think it is a great rifle.

Ken

In Remembrance

I just acquired a 721 w/Bushnell 3x9 scope and sling swivels last week from a shop. I argued the price down from $400 to $300 + tax. The rifle is in about 85 - 90% condition. The bore looks "as new". If your price is gun only then the price seems a bit high. I`d still try to lower the cost to the lower $300 range.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent action and the price is fair these days. Will make be very good for building a custom rifle, especially for the Whelen as the action and mag are long. M700 LA bottom metal will fit BTW. I'm looking at just such a M721 myself for building into a long range '06 with a 28-30" barrel with 12" twist.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Before you buy, run some dummy rounds thru it and make sure the extractor works. 721 extractors aren't readily available, and apparently 700 extractors won't work. I had to put a Sako-style extractor, at considerable bother and expense, on a 725 to get it up and running.

I've got a 1950 721 in 300 H&H that I would not trade off for anything!! As Larry G says it is a great action to build on. A lot of model 700 stuff is the same. Probably one of the slickest feeding actions ever made.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I just bought a .30-06 721 (made February 1951) for my son for his first deer rifle. I got it off of gunbroker for $295 plus shipping. You will like it a lot. We just sighted in it yesterday after mounting a scope on it. Nice shooting gun.

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    Those older 721/722's are still bargains on GB. I bought a 300 sav to go with my 222 magnum which is an absolute tackholer!

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 721's and 2 722's. Both models are excellent rifles with very smooth actions. However the stock design is NOT recoil friendly. Consider selling the orginal stock on Gunbroker and restocking the rifle with a Boyds laminate 700 ADL stock with recoil pad. The 700 stocks are much better design for scope without so much stock drop.

Bill