Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Homemade sizing lube?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Homemade sizing lube?

Just curious, other than commercial brands, what do you use to size cases?

I've heard folks use Udderly Smooth, bulk Lanolin, even KY Jelly. Personally I've always used Lee sizing lube, Hornady One Shot, or Dillon's spray lube, which has a Lanolin base. Still, at $8 something per bottle for the Hornady, I'd welcome the chance to use something else. My latest project is probably going to be squeezing a hole tube of Lee lube into a hairspray bottle and then filling it with water, and seeing if it will pump. Or similar with KY Jelly- which will embarrass me to buy, but what the heck.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Just depends on the demands of the lube. For easy sizing, about any spray oil will do. When the going gets tougher, rub some anhydrous lanolin into a pad, and spray that with the spray oil. Rub/roll the cases on the pad where the going gets tough only, to minimize the use of lanolin, not because of cost, but because of the formation of dents in the case that will result. Never coat the outside of a bottle-necked case at the neck area. Wash cases in a soap solution having a low ph. Best soap I have found is made by Sun products for swimming pool filter cleaning. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

The best set up I have found when doing LOTS of cases (several thousand) is to thin Lee Case Lube 10-1 (water/Lee) and then dip the decapped cases. Spread on a newspaper to dry over night. This lubes the entire case, inside and out. After drying the Lee lube does NOT hurt anything leaving it inside the case. The advantage of this is the inside of the case necks get lubed and there is no drag from the expanding stem. Plus it does a "just right" job of lubing.

Definitely a superior method. I believe I learned that from an article by C.E. Harris long ago.

I used a .50 caliber GI can with a french fry basket to contain the cases when I dipped them.

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 06-08-2007 at 12:42 AM.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I have been using the same pint of STP motor oil treatment for over twenty years. At the rate I am using it, it should last me until the age of 120. STP is identical to RCBS resizing lubricant. There is a tremendous economy of scale in buying the pint can rather than the ounce bottle!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

STP + Hoppe's #9 a 50/50 mix works for me. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

i have read also that pan cooking spray works really well from what i have read

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    They all work, and it all depends on how much pressure is required. Lanolin is for the really tough sizing requirements, like swaging, and definitely is not needed for cases not needing much sizing at all. If in doubt, like for range pick up cases, then use lanolin just to be on the safe side of having a stuck case. ... felix
    felix

Banned

again ill agree with felix. For light sizing dutys about anything will work. When heavy sizing is needed its hard to beat anyhydrous lanolin. I do it a little different though. I just dip a couple of my fingers in a tub of it and wipe a very light coat on the case and put it in a loading block when i get a block full then i wipe my hands and size. You only need the thinnest of a coat using it and more is not better then less in this case. Nice thing to is its used in making felix lube so i have it all the time and a tub of it will last a guy about forever if its just being used for case lubing.

Boolit Buddy
    Ballistol-the common black powder fix-all. I even use it as a case forming lube. lreed

Smile

I read that Winchester uses soapy water to form the cases at the factory.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Castor oil works fine,just don't lick your fingers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Castor oil works fine,just don't lick your fingers.
    bet it would make a progressive press really run

In Remembrance

Anhydrous lanolin diluted with at least 90% isorphyl alcohol in a pump spray bottle, or + 1 on STP applied with fingers or pad. Dale

Boolit Master
    I use STP, dip a finger in the bottle then smear it on the palm of one hand, line up 8-10 (ymmv depending on hand size) cases on yer palm and roll between yer palms. I lube 100 then put in load blocks. I lube the case necks one at a time before they go into the press, mangling .300 whisper takes a lot of lube in side the necks.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Buddy
    Went to Walmart bought some STP.
    After sizing throw cases into tumbler for an hour or so.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Buddy

I use a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery oil and STP. Ron

Boolit Master

I've got a couple of lumps of lanolin in a spray bottle with plain alcohol I give it a shake every time I use it. I spray the cases in a plastic tub and let them sit for a minute. You can feel and smell the lanolin, sort of makes you want a leg of lamb.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Case Lube

I use lyman case lube last a long time easy to use clean I toss cases in container and spray shake container let dry for few minutes.then size I 'v used STP too messy.

Boolit Man
    good idea with the Ballistol,but white lithium grease in a spray shot one side only works,and great for everything else too.
    dont spray any of this makedo stuff into yur empties dig?