MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to date lead bullet fragments by color/appearance?

Boolit Mold

Possible to date lead bullet fragments by color/appearance?

Is it possible for me to know how old harvested bullet fragments are just by looking at them? How quickly do typical lead bullet fragments turn black and oxidize in a hot southern state like Alabama?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    is it possible for me to know how old harvested bullet fragments are just by looking at them?
    No ... What's the purpose of the question?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    No ... What's the purpose of the question?
    Involves a silly dispute about harvested lead at a club range. If the lead is 3 months old, one member gets to keep it. If it is 1 or 2 months old, the other member gets it.

Banned

throw in humidity and it turns white.

and if it's all millions of years old i got dibs on it..

Boolit Master
    Tell them to split it and call it even.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melchloboo View Post
    Involves a silly dispute about harvested lead at a club range. If the lead is 3 months old, one member gets to keep it. If it is 1 or 2 months old, the other member gets it.
    I would ask if you are kidding but I won't.

How it "ages" is dependant on many things. Soil type, temp, humidity, rainfall, is bullet buried or on the surface, jacketed vs cast, and who ons what else.

Tell these guys to put on their big boy panties and split it evenly.

What a maroon.
    Last edited by btroj; 10-19-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Grand Master
    These are adults?

Boolit Master
    It's all as old as the earth. If you are the first member then you get it all.

Squabbling over who gets the newest lead
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

I'd ask Joe Biden. Your sure to get a straight answer, with an attached grin.

Boolit Master

Yeah, ask Joe!

You'll get a different answer every day.

If the lead is 3 months old, one member gets to keep it. If it is 1 or 2 months old, the other member gets it."
    Isn't that kind of like two blind guys fighting over who gets the Blue t-shirt and who gets the Red one?

NO, you can't tell. But it sounds like they are not too bright! Just tell them that you can tell how old it is and you'll sort it for them. I'd use scale, 50/50 split!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Defcon-One View Post
    Just tell them that you can tell how old it is and you'll sort it for them. I'd use scale, 50/50 split!
    Don't forget a little something for yourself, you know, for the effort.
    45/45/10 sounds good.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

40/40/20 anyone?

Tell these guys to put on their big boy panties and split it evenly.
    I'm gonna hate saying this, but I'm with BT on that....
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Did one of these guy's wife call in and ask them to move the deer sign?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Did one of these guy's wife call in and ask them to move the deer sign?
    I just saw that video on YouTube. I laughed my but off. She actually sounded serious. She probably voted for Obama.....
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    The deer refuse to push the button and wait for the WALK light...

i kno i kno, well almost. they are within 6 days of each others age,,, cause according to the BIBLE the earth was made in 6 days and im sure lead was part of it. as for how long they have been boolit fragments theres no telling.
    anyway thats what i thank n not gonna change my mind lol.

by the way welcome to the site melchloboo .

have a great day,
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

Boolit Grand Master

Gosh, unless you did some tests in your climate there is no way to tell just by looking. Heck, I doubt the best equipment CSI ever had couldn't tell you that. Its too bad lead cant absorb carbon 14 because then you could conveniently say that the lead was old enough to be yours. If it was aver in question, you could do like any good scientist, retest the samples and give the answer that sounds best, but I digress.
    I suppose you could get a toilet paper tube, paint it silver, and tell them its your lead tester outerer. Set down with three buckets. Inspect the boolits with the tester outerer. If its "3 months old" chunk it in one bucket. If its ">2 months old" chunk it in the other. However, if it is contaminated with aggregates and silica (which, of course, makes it dangerous to cast with!) then it goes into the third bucket which you, out of the goodness of your heart, will dispose of properly.
    Just be careful with that contaminated stuff! I hear that if you handle it too much your children will be born naked and illiterate. I got that from a very reliable source, so feel free to quote me.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I hear that if you handle it too much your children will be born naked and illiterate.
    Just had to quote you on that one!

Boolit Mold
    So I read through some of this and what I have and I thought maybe y'all might be able to point me in the right direction. I know for certain they carbon dated the lead cross on oak Island and I need this done with a Lead Ball I got lucky enough to cut through an old mesquite tree in West Texas and I cut right to the center of the ball. I'm going to try and attach a few pictures but if you guys know of anybody or who I need to contact to get this dated be much appreciated. As for at the same time I found the 1800 figure 8 lock and it's been shot with a lead bullet obviously it's got signs of it a big round indentation on the front where you put the key in about the size of probably a 45 or 50 cal roundball. I'm wanting to put this together with all the dating and stuff for the ranch owners because they allow me to cut the mesquite out there as a surprise so whatever I need to do to make this happen oh and to go along with the two skulls I found locked together two four point bucks went out at last year and died together Tangled up still have their antlers as they were found together and that's going to the landowners as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast