Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: I think I have a shooter

Boolit Master

I think I have a shooter

I put a scope on the last rifle that dad ever built the other day it was a Douglas barred 308 Win, on a 98 Mauser action. He cut the barrel down to 22 inch and put it in a synthetic stock. He was wanting a feather weight rifle for dear and elk hunting in the Big Horn Range. I remember when he started it about 4 years ago before he started having problems getting around. It doesn't look like much, because he never had it polished and blued. The last thing dad would do is polish and blue a gun. He wanted to make sure everything else was right on it.

I had a small bag of once fired military brass, so I dug out 20 pcs and went to work on it. After I cleaned it up, reworked the primer pockets and flash holes, then resized them, I started digging through the books looking for a load. I chose the Lee 309-180-RN out of my 50/50 alloy. The gas check is my standard 11 thousandths Bud Light aluminum bottle, and all sized to 0.309 dia., and was tumble lubed 3x in straight JPW. I used a CCI large rifle primer, and 35 grains of IMR4064. I seated the boolit to where the gas check was still in the neck and the riflings just barely left a mark on the boolit when I chambered and then extracted a loaded round.

I sat down at the 50 yard mark and shot. Centered up but 3 inches low, but at least I was on the paper which was better than I usually end up with when installing a scope. I shot two more shots and had a lovely 3 leaf clover. So far so good. I moved the scope up 16 clicks which should have been 2 inches at the 50 yards, and let the gun cool back to the ambient temp of the early morning air. I shot the fourth shot, and it was right there with the first three. The scope must not have moved. I bumped it and shot again. Now I have a 5 shot group that I can't quite cover with a nickle but can easily cover with a quarter. I raise the scope 16 more clicks, chamber a round, take aim and fire. Now I have a six shot group I can still cover with a quarter. While the gun was cooling I cranked the turret one full turn. When I went to shoot the boolit went in with the rest of them.

I shot the rest of the box of shells at a basket ball sized rock on the hillside about 120 yards away. I could smack it every time if I held over it about 6 inches. After I finished off the box of shells I loaded up and came home pleased and disappointed at the same time. Dad knew how to put together a shooter, which pleased me, but having that 45+ year old Maverick Scope not work was a disappointment. I should have known better than to have used it considering I found it on the bottom shelf of dad's work bench, but it had a set of steel Redfield rings on it and Dad had put a Redfield base on the gun. I say that scope is 45 years old or older. I remember dad having it on a couple of different guns when I was a very very young.

I had ran the remaining rounds through fairly quickly. I wanted to see if I would have any leading problems. I was pleased to be able to look through the bore when I got home and see shiny riflings that were not filled with gunk. I changed the old scope out and put on an older Tasco made back in the early 90's but it was new in the box. I hope it is not raining tomorrow so I can see if this one will zero. I know the gun will shoot and shoot well, I just may have to buy a scope and I don't have the spare money to buy one this month. If this old Tasco will work I will probably deer hunt with it. Also I will post some targets from tomorrows trip if I get to take it.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

You definitely have a shooter, hope the Tasco does the trick. A rifle like that needs a good scope and nice bluing.

Best, Rick
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Need before and after pic's - Sounds like it likes that boolit

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Az Rick View Post
    You definitely have a shooter, hope the Tasco does the trick. A rifle like that needs a good scope and nice bluing.

Best, Rick
    If it continues to shoot tight groups out to 100 yards with those 180gr cast at 2200 fps, not only will I have it polished and blued, but I will by a good Nikon or some other upper end scope. It will not be a Leupold though, the last one I had I spent more in postage sending it to and getting it back from the factory than I paid for the thing over the 4 years I had it. It spent more time in the mail than it did on my 30-06.

It rained a lot last night and early this morning. I will try to make a trip across the corn field to my make shift range, but if it is too muddy I will have to wait. I really want to get this rifle zeroed. I think it would be fitting to be able to hand dad's last build to one of his grand children as a birthday present.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

In Remembrance
    Just something to think about. I have no idea of the cost, but it might be possible to have the scope your dad intended to use reconditioned. Just an idea, of course your dad could have only been planning on using it see if it was going to be a shooter.

Boolit Master

I don't think Dad intended to use that scope, as it was no where near the gun. I just used it because it had a set of redfield rings on it. I did put the a new scope on the rifle, and after a bit of shimming I got it bore sighted. I shot it a few times and roughly zeroed it at 100 yards. I didn't bother to try for a group as I was shooting off of my back deck with not much support for the rifle. I was doing a fine job at busting fist sized rocks in the dirt bank a bit over 100 yards from my back deck. It is zeroed well enough that I would not hesitate to take a crack at a deer with it as long as it was inside 100 yards, which I seldom get shots that far around here, where I like to hunt. I can't wait until the weather clears up so I can get some real range time with this thing.

If it ends up shooting as well as I think it will, I may not bother to take it apart and have it blued. I will buy a good nylon cammo tape and cover it, and it will become my cast boolit woods gun. I need a great shooting light weight rifle to pack around here on the farm so I can stop using some of my more higher dollar guns as truck and 4 wheeler guns. I think dad would be pleased to know that his last gun he made to use as his light weight mountain/4 wheeler gun was being actually being used as he intended.

I will post photos of the targets and the gun in it's current state once the weather straightens up and I can get to my range in the field with out making a muddy mess.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Well I took the 308 out today. I got to shoot it at 100 yards but I didn't have a good rest. I am pleased to say that with my so-so rest I was able to keep 5 shots in an area of less than 3 inches. I would say that is not bad for the first load, first time out with a good scope. No, it is no where near a target rifle, but it was not intended to be. It was never intended to shoot cast boolits either, but it shoots them better than many commercial rifles shoot jacked ammo, and the best thing is I am getting 2200+ out of a 180 gr cast boolit with a homemade gas check, and have run almost 100 rounds through it at that velocity and the bore is just as clean and pretty as the day before I started shooting it.

On another side note I also finished up a 303 brit rifle that dad started working on. I don't have any way to cast for it so I was shooting J words out of it today. It shot a bit better but not much. The 308 has piqued my interest though. I may keep increasing the powder charge and see if it shoots better, starts to lead, or shoots worse. I am just curious as to how fast I can actually push that boolit before it starts causing problems.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Joe,

PM me your address and I'll send you some 314299 (200gr) and a few other boolits for that 303 Brit for you to work with.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Joe,

PM me your address and I'll send you some 314299 (200gr) and a few other boolits for that 303 Brit for you to work with.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce, PM is on it's way. Also I know of a small 17 acre farm that is for sale on the cheap. The house is only a few years old, nice place. It is less than 10 min to a nice public range, less than 5 min to a private 1200+ acre hunting club and range, and all of the folks in the area are good people with the exception of the Jerk who is typing this. Now we just need to find you a job in the local area. Here are the schools in the area that are around 30 min away. Sullivan, St. Clair, Union, Washington, Pacific, Londel, Spring Bluff, Strain-Japan, and a couple more I can't think of right now. Just trying to be helpful

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

As promised here is a few photos.

Here is the target. It was set at 100 yards. This is the only target that I managed to save because my buddy kept putting the stickers over the holes and reusing them. It was like he paid for them or something... oh wait he did pay for them. Any how I listed the load data earlier, but it is also written on the target. The group is just a bit under 3 inches outside edge to outside edge at the widest spot. Under normal circumstances a 3 inch 5 shot group is not impressive at 100 yards, at least not for me, because I have several 6mm's that will shoot 5 shots in to one ragged hole at 200 yards with J words. For me the impressive thing is to be able to take a cast boolit out of a 50/50 alloy, stamp a homemade gas check on the base of it, roll it around 2 or 3 times in straight JPW, load it up to J-word velocities, and get this kind of results right from the get go. As I work on selecting my brass and boolits a bit more critically I am sure my results will improve. This brass was mixed head stamp military brass.

Here is the rifle. She isn't pretty that is for sure. I think I will for the time being just buy a couple of rolls of a good cammo tape and cover the thing. Dad never intended it to be a show piece or he would have had me hand cut the stock for it or done it himself out of a nice piece of wood. He was building a hunting rifle and nothing more, so I will keep with that spirit of original intent.

Some of the other groups I shot were a bit tighter and more to center than this one, because after this group I made a couple more adjustments to the scope, but as I stated earlier my buddy kept putting stickers over all of the holes and shooting them again. This target just happened to be one that was hung slightly away from the others so it got over looked. As I work with this rifle more I am sure the groups will improve.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Thanks Bruce, PM is on it's way. Also I know of a small 17 acre farm that is for sale on the cheap. The house is only a few years old, nice place. It is less than 10 min to a nice public range, less than 5 min to a private 1200+ acre hunting club and range, and all of the folks in the area are good people with the exception of the Jerk who is typing this. Now we just need to find you a job in the local area. Here are the schools in the area that are around 30 min away. Sullivan, St. Clair, Union, Washington, Pacific, Londel, Spring Bluff, Strain-Japan, and a couple more I can't think of right now. Just trying to be helpful

Best wishes,

Joe

That's an excellent hint for the perfect size "estate" that I'm looking for. I think I can work my public affairs skills on you and get you elected to the Missouri Senate so I don't have to deal with you too often after that...
    I'll add those schools to the lists of potential schools to apply for. I have to balance them with the approved Troops to Teacher districts (the program has specific requirements that have to be met regarding the overall economics of the schools. If they are affluent than I can't teach there.)
    Regarding your PM, I have your address and I'll throw a box in the mail tomorrow. I'll be sending a mix of weights in boolits to allow you to tweak around with the 303 Brit. Consider it free-gratis in return for the information about the neighboring schools. Besides, you'll be burning primers and powder with the various boolit loads to get your 303 shooting the way you want and it eventually may cost you to get a matching boolit mold.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

hey thats a good shooting rifle !

Boolit Master

Most excellent! I wouldn't change a thing.
    At one with the gun.