Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Media?

Boolit Bub
    Never, Ever clean brass with SS pins, unless the brass has been de-capped. A friend, (ex-friend now), gave me a few thousand 9mm brass that he had cleaned. I bent and broke a few decapping pins. I was puzzled as to why that was happening. ??? I then found a SS pin stuck inside a case, inside the primer hole. DUH!

Boolit Bub
    I use a Harbor Freight LARGE Vibratory Polisher for cleaning brass. (Not a fan of wet cleaning, because I load 50,000+ rounds a year)

*** Bee careful of the "cleaners' you mix with the walnut or corn cob if using this polisher. Some solvents will "eat" the plastic.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a Dillon brass separator in ~1990 and I still use it to this day.

Boolit Bub
    walnut bedding from Petco. local and cheap and same as what reloading supply places sell.

I use ceramic beads for tire balancing. Can these be used to tumble cases?
    Leo

I used those walnut hull tumbling media & it did a excellent job

Boolit Master
    Anyone use T&B Bullets ammo brass Stainless Steel cleaning Media chips for wet tumblers? Dose the unique shape of this media prevent clogging up primer pockets, flash holes or necks as they say?

Boolit Bub
    I bought a 50lb. bag of corn cob media from "Best Cob" about 6 years ago. When dirty I wash it in a 5 gallon bucket with a good splash of simple green and very hot water agitated with a paint mixer propeller thingie in a drill. I rinse it twice and lay in out in the hot sun on old window screens to dry. Even nasty black media returns to a tan color with this method. At this rate it will take me 10 years to go thru a bag!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pan957 View Post
    I bought a 50lb. bag of corn cob media from "Best Cob" about 6 years ago. When dirty I wash it in a 5 gallon bucket with a good splash of simple green and very hot water agitated with a paint mixer propeller thingie in a drill. I rinse it twice and lay in out in the hot sun on old window screens to dry. Even nasty black media returns to a tan color with this method. At this rate it will take me 10 years to go thru a bag!
    Wow, that's a lot of effort to clean and reuse something most would throw away, especially with having a 50lb. bag of new media.
    Have you considered your exposure to lead during that cleaning routine?
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Bub
    I tumble a lot of brass and was going thru a 50 lb. bag every 2 months. I wear rubber gloves to avoid heavy metals and use a Walmart big strainer during the rinsing process. This thread is about using alternative methods to enhance our hobby. My wife says I'm cheap, I prefer to call myself frugal!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pan957 View Post
    I tumble a lot of brass and was going thru a 50 lb. bag every 2 months. I wear rubber gloves to avoid heavy metals and use a Walmart big strainer during the rinsing process. This thread is about using alternative methods to enhance our hobby. My wife says I'm cheap, I prefer to call myself frugal!
    Good to know
    I use these strainer bags, give them a try:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-ga...36WF/202061360
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a bucket of ceramic beads from a cosmetic plant. They measure .045" and look like they'd work pretty well.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    Bird bedding from petco. Walnut.

This may have been mentioned earlier, the need to sort the cases by size before tumbling to avoid smaller cases getting stuck inside larger cases.
    Also, If had barrels of cases to tumble I would use a portable cement mixer to do the job.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Mold
    Walnut media from Harbor Freight is what I have been using lately.
    I really just want my brass clean and don't worry too much about shine.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have used walnut ( the last I got was acquired from a drilling rig before I retired from oilfield supply ) I have used corn cob that I bought years ago from Gil Hebard Supply. I tried wet with ss pins ( what a pain in the rear). Sold the pins to someone I didn't like. Mostly now I just use the water, soap and citrus. Works almost as well as the same process with pins but is way less work. All worked. Some better than others. I guess what ever you use, that makes you happy, is the right way for you.

Boolit Mold
    You can get every kind of media in every size imaginable here......

https://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/

Quote Originally Posted by possom813 View Post
    What would y'all recommend for tumbling media?

I have about 20k rounds of brass that was just found at a friends house(and given to me) that I need to polish up to trade off for stuff I can actually use

I've looked through it, and it's not terrible bad, but needs to be cleaned up a bit.

I was thinking a walnut media, but it's going to cost more for shipping than the bag of media from Midway, and I don't have anything local(except Gander Mtn, and Midway would still be cheaper with the shipping).

A few folks recommends some type of animal bedding or litter, but I've never messed with that.

Also, someone mentioned some kind of car polish, but again, I've never messed with it.

The tumbler I'm going to be using is a 5 gallon bucket mounted on a slow rpm direct drive motor(I built it the first time about 10 years ago for rocks).

Any recommendations?

Also, I'm not doing any liquid cleaners, I want something I put in the bucket, turn it on and walk away, come back the next day and pull the brass out.
    I use steel pins and Grocery store Barley here are some pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dry tumble w.barley.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	314191
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clean Brass.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	314192

Quote Originally Posted by pa.frank View Post
    You can get every kind of media in every size imaginable here......

https://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/
    Wow, just checked out this site for some SS pins……5lbs for the super low price of $399! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

My media lasts a L-O-N-G time because I just want clean brass not shiny but most often seek out walnut media.

I'll try the dryer sheet method to keep down the dust!
    Regards,

Gary

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast