Thread: Tumbler Media?

I'd just do the sweet three.
    wallnut for the dirty range brass
    corn cob to polish
    and or stainless pins
    FREEDOM IS EVERYTHING
    AND NOTHING IS FREE IF IT DOESN'T COST EVERYTHING

Boolit Buddy
    I use corncob and Flitz, but I'm changing over to corncob, Nufinish, & mineral spirits after i use up the Flitz. I have two 40 lb bags of CC from a buddy at a water dept. They use it for media blast cleaning brass valves. if the bag gets torn they cannot use it, so lots of bags get "damaged" by the forklift
    Last edited by ravelode; 01-31-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Don't do what I did this afternoon: walnut and too much NuFinish and mineral spirits. The media got really wet and the end result was a mess of black goo clinging to the plastic tumbler bowl. On the other hand the tumbler needed a good cleaning anyway, and its done now.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Don't do what I did this afternoon: walnut and too much NuFinish and mineral spirits. The media got really wet and the end result was a mess of black goo clinging to the plastic tumbler bowl. On the other hand the tumbler needed a good cleaning anyway, and its done now.
    My first try with this formula ended up with a black goo also. Good cleaning and a little less Mineral Spirits seemed to work well. I found that with mineral spirits the walnut seems to work better than corn cob for me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I agree with you grumpa. Now that i am thinking about it you never know what they cleaned it with? Did they use ammonia based product to get it really bright?
    Though i dont think once would hurt? Does anyone know if brasso used once would weaken a case?
    Peter DiMatteo

Quote Originally Posted by giericd View Post
    hi guys, I'm new to reloading and even newer to casting. i've only casted 30lbs of lead so far but havent been able to load any yet...powder shortage. i did however just clean aprox 8,000 .223 cases and 1000 .40s&w cases. got the standard corncob media but noticed on e-bay stainless steel media. the same night i read a post about using "000" steel wool to give your brass a jeweled shine which got me thinking. when i got home i dumped my tumbler of the 1st 150rds and after 9 hrs they looked great. when i put the media back in i threw in 2 hand fulls of my kids Quick silver BB's and since my tumbler has the bolt in the center that goes threw the lid all the way to the floor i pushed a few pices of "000"steel wool over the bolt. now the bb's work with the media and as the brass circulates through the tumbler they rub the steel wool. the result was once fired old military brass comming out looking perfectly new in a few hours. awesome results!! and the way i will continue to use the tumbler- hope this tip helps
    I use the BB method myself but havent tried the steel wool. That may be my next experiment. Did you use the whole pad or separate it and wrap it around the post?

Boolit Man

I like this. It sounds like good common sense. I agree, it should be a sticky.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    My first try with this formula ended up with a black goo also. Good cleaning and a little less Mineral Spirits seemed to work well. I found that with mineral spirits the walnut seems to work better than corn cob for me.
    I did great with walnut, but mixing the Nu-finish with corncob
    Caused couple wet clumps left in the bowl so I'll try again tomorrow morning
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Mold
    Pretty much anything with some corncob and walnut shell. Throw a little automotive wax in there, a little goes a long way, and a drier sheet to keep the dust down. The problem you will run into is separating the media from that much brass. one of the lymann media separators works great.

Greetings all;

I didn't read ALL the threads, but see a large % of y'all advocate the use of polish ot the tumbling media. I also did at first, until I read somewhere that:

"... polished rifle brass prevents it from "gripping" the chamber wall during ignition, thus not reducing the forces upon the bolt as the system was designed. Rifle brass should be 'clean', but not 'pretty'. Long term effects are apparent as the lugs begin to swage from the excessive hammering."

Pistol brass is not a player in this game. Good luck & play safe.

Wally
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Grand Master

Where did you read that Wally? I'd like to check it out
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    As far as polish versus unpolished for selling (I have a small shop in FL) most 90% want the brass sized deprimed cleaned and polished yes I get a couple cents more for them but not sure its worth all the extra time a one man shop puts into it

Boolit Buddy
    I noticed today that there is a cat litter made from walnut media available. I haven't checked prices, but might be good

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by southeastreloading View Post
    As far as polish versus unpolished for selling (I have a small shop in FL) most 90% want the brass sized deprimed cleaned and polished yes I get a couple cents more for them but not sure its worth all the extra time a one man shop puts into it
    Can't explain why, but it prefer mine dirty and un fooled with. Just part of the whole process I enjoy getting it from range ground to loaded ammo.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Being Retired, If I had a source for range brass I would have the time to totally prep brass. I have in the past even tried doing that. I had accumulated some military lake city 5.56 brass. I Cleaned, Sized, Swaged, Trimmed, and Primed them but really didn't seem to be able to sell them. So I think most people do want there brass as it is when picked up off the range. So they can inspect it for them selves. I wouldn't mine having it cleaned and ready to load if it came from someone I could trust but in the end I guess it really comes down to cost too.. Being Reloaders or Casters we just don't want to pay for something we feel we can or should do our selves... No matter how cheap the service is...
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Boolit Bub
    wallnut media is what i like

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd23 View Post
    I prefer walnut media to corncob but that is just me, plus I can buy it by the 25lb box at harbor freight. Add a little polishing compound and they shine like new!
    I picked up crushed walnut and corn cob dirt cheap at a pet store that didnt wnat it on inve tory in 50 pound bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggdawg View Post
    lizzard litter from most any pet store is walnut shells that is what i used when i dry tumbled.

here is an example lizzard litter

Boolit Mold
    I'v been using Stainless media for a couple years now, far superior to Ultrasound, rice, corn, walnutt and so on.

45ACP before and after 4 hours in SS tumbler
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	118340

Boolit Buddy
    I have also used lizard litter, with Nufinsih, but have found it is so fine that I get an awful lot of dust when separating it. I solved part of that problem by having the Bride save dryer sheets and putting one or two of the used sheets in with brass. It collected a lot of the dust. A few weeks ago I was with the Bride at Petsmart when she was buying catfood, and was looking thru the lizard litter trying to find some that was a little courser. I asked a young clerk if they had anything using walnut shells that was courser. The manager overheard our conversation and asked if I was using it for brass tumbling. I answered yes, and he said, "Oh, you want the Blue cat litter. He proceeded to get me a bag, cut it open and show it to me. He said that he sells a lot of it to reloaders. (he was a shooter) It is actually Blue Buffalo brand labeled "Naturally Fresh."

I found after getting home and dumping it, that was generally what I considered a perfect coarseness, but did have a small amount of fines mixed it. I had a fairly large wire kitchen strainer in the shop. I poured it full, shook it around over a pan that caught the fines in less than five minutes had it separated. I get almost no dust with this. I still throw in a dryer sheet to pick up what little dust there is. I think I paid $10 or $12 for the 14 pound bag.

Jackpine

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
    It is actually Blue Buffalo brand labeled "Naturally Fresh."
    Thanks for the info, but there's a bunch of different types of that brand of cat litter. I'm guessing that you've got the plain Jane "non-clumping product", yes?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast